SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregory_thomson39

Looking for tree options

Gregory Thomson
2 years ago

I'm looking for ideas on what tree/s to plant here.

I'm in Riverside county - 9b/10 zone.

Retired a month ago, so I'm now looking to get things back in shape a bit.

And I love to plant things that are edible as well.

Two years of neglect, and the pictures show where I am now.

The pic towards the back fence is taken towards where the sun comes up on average throughout the year.

Along the back fence, I have a Washington navel on the left, then a Lamb Hass, then a multi-graft Asian pear, and then a multi-graft stonfruit tree.

All are doing well mostly, but I think the heat gets to the Lamb Hass in the summer.

From the other perspective towards the house - it's taken from about where the sun comes up on average throughout the year.

Things grown in those two raised beds often get burned too much from the heat, or bolt too quick.

And it would be nice to have some kind of big tree out there to provide some shade into that window of the house.

So I'm thinking I need some kind of overstory tree there in the middle of it all.

But that's probably a 10 year thing? And I'm coming up on 58, so I want to try to get it right on the first try :-)

I'm more interested in functional, than cosmetic, or so I've been told a few times.

So far thinking of one option...

Moringa tree - edible in various ways, grows fast so can provide cover for the lower trees/plants against the heat. But would it then shade things too much so the raised bed area doesn't get what it needs?

So I'm thinking a 30' Moringa tree could do what's needed.

But then is the direct sun to the raised bed area for annual veggies limited too much by that?

Would love a pistacio tree, but it still seems like a smaller tree.

If feels like what I need/want is probably a 30' tree that doesn't overwhelm the area, but provides benefits to the underlying trees and plants with shade, but still lets them get enough sun daily to do what they need to do.

I'm thinking a Moringa tree in the area of the red oval.

Does that make sense?

I'm not too concerned about the wood patio or current patio floor/pathway - those will both be re-done at some point.

Suggestions for other types of trees, placement, etc...?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!