SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Soil/medium for growing oregano in pots 7A

katyajini
2 years ago

Hello!

What kind of soil should I use to grow oregano in pots? I had heard that oregano wants dry, gravel-y soil like the mountains of Greece or the terrain in Sicily. I am in Zone 7A New York and we get plenty of rain, maybe not so much as Washington but certainly not dry. I have started some oregano plants in pots where I have mixed regular potting soil with with 2 to 3 volumes of coarse sand. Thyme seems to be loving this mix but the oregano plants want so much water in this sandy mix. And certainly are not growing like they are very happy. I saw a YT video where it is suggested that oregano can take a lot more water, like mint. And she is growing oregano in ground in what seems like moist, fertile garden soil somewhere in Washington state, which she calls rain country. So oregano wants a soil mix more like mint????? Oregano has broader leaves than thyme so probably does want a little more water than thyme. Should I add more water retentive material to the soil for oregano? Thank you so much for any suggestions. I am quite confused at this point. Oregano does grow in very dry places.

K

Comments (11)