SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58962921

Dinner Party for 7…..No, for 8…. No, 10…..Now 9….

User
2 years ago

This is the dinner party with a moving target of guests. It started out as a group of 7, as DS2 wanted to invite two older men with whom he golfs ( and by older I mean in their 70’s) and their wives. DH and I and DS made 7. As I was planning the menu I asked him if he was inviting his girlfriend and he said oh I guess I should, shouldn’t I? So i planned for 8. Then one of his golf buddies said he and his wife would be out of town on the day in question (tomorrow) and GF got her start time for tomorrow and realized she would be working late into the night so suddenly we were 5, which is an odd number and not exactly a party, IYKWIM. So I invited a couple of neighbors whom we know and like and who know the others, so we were back up to 7. Then my mother called and said she and my nephew, who is visiting her, would like to come Wednesday and stay a few days (this is how she entertains guests, she brings them to me for food and activities). She is with us about half the time now already so it’s no trouble, and we adore the nephew, who is 21 and a great conversationalist. So we were up to 9, and it occurred to me yesterday that nephew is about to be 22 very soon, so I called DD and had her check his FB and it turns out he is turning 22 tomorrow, the day they arrive and day of the dinner. Which has now got to include a gluten free birthday treat for him and some kind of gift. Egads!

The menu, which was changed when i found out one of the guests refuses to eat chicken (i think she saw that documentary about the military industrial poultry complex and freaked out) is as follows:

Appetizers: cheese tray with Boursin and table water crackers, cubes of aged cheddar on frilly toothpicks and mini caprese kebabs with a small ball of fresh mozzarella, basil leaf, and locally grown grape tomato, drizzled with balsamic glaze just before serving; also mixed nuts and a tray of crispy flash dried vegetable chips (eggplant,, carrot, okra and green beans). I like them and they are different and healthier than some of my other other possibilities.

Salad of poached pears (have to poach bc they are out of season and hard!) on a bed of locally grown butter lettuce, sprinkled with pieces of almond praline (i make this in a skillet, let it cool and then break it up) and drizzled with poppyseed dressing.

Tenderloin of pork, with a a wine reduction / cream sauce and caramelized shallots and mushrooms

Wild rice (blend, not solely the reedy stuff)

steamed broccoli (florets only; I like the appearance of spears better but my family wont eat the stalks no matter how good they are)

Homemade parker house rolls

Dessert is cranberry orange trifle and (I hope) something gluten free and chocolatey for Nephew, which my mother has been appointed to bring. The trifle is made using a cranberry orange panettone instead of cake, and layered with a cranberry and whole orange dense compote (instead of jam or jelly) and with whipped marscapone and cream instead of custard. it is very light and very different, I usually make it around christmas but didn't this year for some reason. A several months old unopened panettone is perfect for trifle because its best if the cake is a bit stale so it wont collapse and melt into the other layers. I cubed the cubed panettone and sprinkled it with grand marnier and will assemble it all tomorrow.

It is for events like this that i miss the help i used to have. This dinner is too complicated for self serve, also still avoiding buffet style, so we are putting the salads out first, and then i will plate the dinners and DS2 will take them out. We will serve the rolls at the table and I have already cut the butter into pats for the individual bread plates. It would be nice to have one person employed for serving. This party morphed into something big enough for help in the kitchen before i realized it and it was too late to try to find someone. I need to talk to one of the waitresses at the club!

We will have plenty to talk about; Nephew just graduated from college and everyone will probably want to give him advice, golf is always a good topic (DH and I and my mother are the only non golfers) and DS, who finally decided to take the plunge and try to make acting his full time job, will be an extra on Ozark later this week. Everyone is months out from full vaccination and I am looking forward to it as we haven't had a dinner like this in a month and a half.

You cant see them but i am using my Wedgewood Chinese Tigers in white, gold and gree for the salad plates and bread plates, which aren't out yet in this photo. More casual glassware than I would notmally use.

Comments (16)