SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_238147440

Major Kitchen Remodel Layout -- Your Thoughts?

Brian S
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

All,

I've gleaned a tremendous amount of info from these forums, both in the GW days, and now. Many thanks to all who have contributed both past and present. I've never posted, but now my time has come.

We're embarking on a major remodel, which includes a whole-hog kitchen / bath / office remodel, along with some relatively minor changes to other spaces.

I've reviewed the PKBA guidelines and have read all (almost?) of the FAQ threads. We casually have considered, but not planned out, our detailed kitchen storage plan. We'll do so once we settle on a roughly right layout to confirm we have enough storage space, configured well (drawers, cabinets, etc.), and in the right places.

Would love to hear thoughts from the community on our current draft plans. Thanks!

Basic Info...

• Goals: Social kitchen, more counter space & storage, open whole north wall to deck (including kitchen)
  • Family: (2) adults, (1) 7 yo
  • Kitchen Workers: Daily 1, frequently 2, sometimes 3 (ad hoc helper)
  • Home Cooks: 2
  • Use: Cooking, cleanup, pantry / storage, casual family meals at island, social space for large extended family gatherings
  • Ceiling Height: 8'4"+ (north part of kitchen ceiling presumably has some plumbing in it from upstairs baths)
  • Entertain: Every 2 weeks small group of 6-8, every 2-4 weeks large group of 10-12, every 3-4 months large group of 15-30
  • Dining Room: Currently separate space, used as primary daily eating area. Plan to convert it + some nearby space to flex use: part family room, part dining room, with configuration (i.e. moving furniture, extending DR table, etc.) to suit size of group
  • More Open: Connect kitchen direclty to deck and more open flow to family room / dining room (wider walkway: remove partial walls, remove door frames and upper walls above frames)
  • Merging: Major merging / re-working of east third of house -- walls, electrical, plumbing, etc.
  • Basement: Currently UNfinished. Will finish much of the basement, including part of the basement under the kitchen, as part of the remodel.
  • Flexibility: just about everything can change except exterior wall positions and stairs w/ associated walls & door
  • Baking: Occasionally, small scale
  • Beverage Center: Yes, currently planned for flex FR / DR space and near LR. I'd originally planned it for the walkway between kitchen and flex FR / DR space, but we nixed that location since we want to maximize glass / deck access due to beautiful ravine right outside the door & deck...but still open to ideas.
  • Snack Center: Haven't even considered it, not sure we have space, not sure how heavily we'd use it.

Appliances...

• Cooktop: 48" range / oven w/ 54" vent / hood
  • Ovens: double integrated with range, but open to wall ovens
  • Warming Drawer: No
  • MW: Yes, drawer or integrated into upper cabinet cubby
  • DW: 2, standard 24": width
  • Fridge: 2, standalone, other details TBD

Pantry...

• In Kitchen
  • Roll-out cabinet near fridge, but open to built-in and struggling to visualize how it might fit
  • Bat-wing for secondary storage, if we select a cabinet maker who can make one, and open to built-in

Other...

• Must Haves: Island w/ seating; access to deck; dual prep / cleanup food storage & work zones (doesn't mean they have to be equal); 48" range, reasonably wide working-aisles and hallways
  • Nice to Haves: Built-in reach-in or step-in pantry rather than roll-out pantry cabs, but can't imagine how we make it fit; coat closet (no idea where)
  • Mulling: Long run of fixed pane windows above east wall cabs for natural light; shrinking office further (but probably not < 13;x12'),

Layouts...

All drawings are approximate, but probably within ~3" total LxW and within an inch or two for individual sections.

Current

Draft Remodel Overview

Draft Kitchen Detail

Comments (15)