SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_g873

Help with ugly columns and general exterior updating.

Chris G
2 years ago

Hello! My wife and I just purchased a new home, we are moving in a few weeks.

My wife is an interior architect and while we love the majority of the interior of the home and have plenty of ideas on how to improve what we don't, we feel the exterior needs some major help (I know it might be to some people taste it's just not really ours.) And because the exterior design isn't something we are as knowledgeable about we thought it would be helpful to get some outside opinions!

The main concern - we hate the columns. We don't even love the idea of large columns on houses but these in particular feel off to us. The proportions seem strange and like it doesn't fit the style of the house. I think in a perfect world we would love to replace them with a single story column, whether it has a small porch or is more of a facade detail. Something about this just feels like it's trying to hard to be someone's idea of "fancy". The problem with this is it will likely be expensive and not something we do for a very long time (if at all). So any smaller/cheaper/more immediate solutions that will at least help lessen the imposition of these columns or make them feel more a part of the house would be greatly appreciated!

Some ideas we have:

-One thing we plan on doing immediately is whitewashing/lime washing the brick.

-Replacing the door all together or at the very lest replacing the glass, stripping the stain and either leaving the wood natural or painting it.

-Changing the molding around the door

-A larger chandelier beneath the portico to make the columns feel more to scale

-Removing the black banister on the portico (there's no access there anyway) or replacing it with shorter, white posts that match the style of the house more.

Other

Comments (18)