SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_furlong

Polydamas overload

Rhonda Furlong
2 years ago

My Dutchman's pipevine was taking over so it got a trim. I checked every clipping for eggs and caterpillars. Found tons, so in the enclosure they went.
I love the way the eggs are laid in clusters and the tiny cats stay together until they get bigger.
One caterpillar has made a nice, chubby chrysalis 😊 I think their chrysalis looks like a sleeping bat. Many more are almost ready to attach.

Comments (5)

• Rhonda Furlong
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    2 years ago

Really cool! And glad you are checking in! My butterfly year is really odd. Just saw 3 Gulf Frits (one at a time) and not a single cat yet.

Rhonda Furlong thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • Rhonda Furlong
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Iris! I check the postings every now and then but this group really seems to have slowed down. Thought I'd give it another try😊

I had tons of Gulf frit butterflies and cats up until a few weeks ago then they disappeared....until today. Saw several laying eggs today. Hope your activity picks up soon.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    2 years ago

Yes, sadly it is really slow here. The Tigers are having a good year. I saw a Monarch today. Also odd, don’t expect them to come back until the end of August. My nightlife is doing really well though. Cecropia, Polyphemus and last night another Luna. I watched one of the cecropia cats grow up on a little Cherry for a few weeks. He is tucked in now for next Summer. Took him about 26 hours to finish the cocoon. Have to say I miss my daily visits with him :)

• Rhonda Furlong
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I haven't seen a tiger yet but we have monarchs year round here.

That's so cool that you have all those moths! I've only seen sphinx and clearwing moths here so far this year. But, was camping at Table Rock State Park in Pickens SC a few weeks ago and saw a luna.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville