SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeownerrenovatingtreehouse

To remove tiles or to overlay LVP on them? DILEMMA

Vivi M
2 years ago

Hi! Y’all are so helpful that I am back for more advice!

I have another dilemma. We have old tile (light color shows every pawprint and dust particld) in random areas all over our house (foyer, a corner of living room, dining room, kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, part of master suite) that I would like replaced with luxury vinyl planks.

We haven’t decided what kind of tile we want for our kitchen eventually or even if we want tile instead of LVP, but we do know that for everywhere else (including stairs) except bathrooms we want to put down LVP. In discussing with several contractors it sounds like the tile demolition process will cost a significant amount more (double likely) for labor etc and their recommendations have been to raise up the floor where the carpet will be removed from to level it to the tile and then lay over the LVP on top.

My questions are: 1. What are the disadvantages of this (not getting rid of tile and just going over it) and

2. If we end up wanting tile in kitchen (we know we want it in bathrooms but we’re okay with a step down to that area) do we have to remove tile anyway to go over it?

3. Should we just do the tile demolition ourselves with brute force?

Very torn here. Anyone with experience in this? Contractors? Horror stories?

Comments (5)