SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaymax

help with a wonky corner in the kitchen

gaymax
2 years ago

I am about to start a kitchen remodel and need advise on what to do with this awkward corner. To stay on budget I need to leave appliances in place, except for the sink will be rotated to get rid of the wasted corner. It would be nice to be able to open the refrigerator door all the way, so I was thinking of putting a 21 inch deep cabinet in place of the full depth counter next to the dishwasher. Maybe open shelves. I want to have wood bottom cabinet and white for the top..paint the walls white.
I’d appreciate any ideas. Am I overlooking any potential problems?

Comments (76)

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks partie, I put the couch there to get it out of my crowded living room, but I’ve liked it there. Best reading spot in the house. I’ll quit stressing about having enough room. Without adding on to the house, it basically “is what it is”.

• partim
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We also have good reading chairs in lots of unexpected places in our house, i.e. near the good windows. And we move them around to different spots for summer and winter, depending on how the sun comes in. For example, we have a formal dining room that we use a lot, but almost never for formal dining LOL. It's the best way to make our house work for us.

Have you ever read the books by Susan Susanka? "The Not So Big House" and others. She's an architect who really makes you think about how you can better use the spaces in your house. Every library has the books. Another really good food-for-thought book is A Pattern Language.

Just a thought. If that area is your favourite part of the house, you won't be happy if the space is cramped because you've filled it with tall storage cabinets. Put more storage of seldom-used items elsewhere (dining room? laundry room? improved pantry space? stepstool-accessible ceiling height storage? ) and leave the lovely space with light and views as people-places. If you give us some more info about the spaces adjacent to the kitchen, we can give you more suggestions.

Looking at your pictures and sketch, looks like your the dining room is opposite the kitchen, and that you are planning to move the column that is in the corner of the kitchen. Could you move or enlarge the kitchen opening to make the dining room more accessible to the kitchen? Would a wide opening give you a view of the back yard from the dining room?

For me, I'd gladly make the trade-off to have more space in my favourite part of the house, and live with the inconvenience of going to another room, or standing on a stepstool, to get ...whatever it is that I don't use every day. You may not feel the same way but make it a conscious decision.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Corner design annoyance! help :)

Q

Comments (4)
    Even though you cut off the counter base it'll give you counter space but around the base will still feel the same. is that what your'e looking for? Are you planning on placing the counter part with, let say a 9" cabinet or you leaving it open? Is the pantry staying
    ...See More

kitchen corner help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Can you add more pictures, particularly of the family room? That corner seems to be more part of the FR instead of the kitchen.
    ...See More

Tiny kitchen dilemma: Corner cooktop or cooktop next to fridge? Help!

Q

Comments (32)
    Option 3. It gives you a very functional and esthetically beautiful kitchen. I would spend the money and scrimp and save elsewhere in a heartbeat if I had to. For example, if I had X amount of money saved up in the budget towards new appliances or a fancy backsplash tile, I would rather wait on one or several of those things verses settling for a crappy layout. Those things can be added later as you save up more $, but the layout is a done deal. There are quite a few things that I would find really dysfunctional and/or just plain annoying working in the first two layouts. I would kick myself daily if I purposely chose to drive myself crazy! 😖
    ...See More

Guys need help in designing my 2 doorway kitchen with a corner window

Q

Comments (7)
    It looks like you were considering placing the fridge between the sink and the range? If so, that's actually something to avoid. A good kitchen design avoids vertical obstacles between sink and cooktop - that area is your primary prep space. Continuous countertop between sink and cooktop is optimal. Here's a suggestion where a new 6 feet opening is centered on the dining room wall with the range opposite. It's best to have the refrigerator near the kitchen entrance so folks don't cross through the primary work space to grab a quick drink or snack. The white rectangle in the corner between the two openings represents a high cabinet/pantry. If you wanted to try to squeeze in some kitchen seating, you could try a ~30"x30" pub table with stools that tuck under.
    ...See More
  • gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, now I’m back to the drawing board. You have such good points-the problem I’ve had all along is the cramped feeling in the breakfast area and I don’t want to spend a ton of money and not be any better off. I’ll be at the library tomorrow to get those books! How many redraws do you get with the cabinet person before they really hate you? I’m posting a few more pictures..I have tried to draw the spaces, but there are so many angles.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There has to be a way to use the dining room space. We use it when the kids and grandkids come over, but not as much as the kitchen table.

• partim
    2 years ago

A few ideas off the top of my head. Your house will feel much more spacious if you only have one eating area. A spacious practical one.

Consider making your dining room your TV-watching room. No other furniture in there except the TV, sofa and however many chairs look good. Consider closing off the space between the 2 closer pillars with a wall.

The room beside your kitchen is the place for a good size table (for both every day and company times), and some storage for dishes etc. Don't crowd it too much but I think there would be room for the piano. Think twice about all your display cabinets. Maybe take the approach of art galleries and rotate your collections.

I'd make the bay window area the sitting area for people to converse with the cook, read etc. Remove the table and chairs there which are now superfluous. That gives you plenty of space for counter seating for 2 as well, facing away from the bay window.

I grew up in a house with a very comfortable settee in the kitchen area, and it was the most-used piece of furniture in the house.

I sort of get the feeling that when you downsized you wanted to keep a lot of your things and furniture, and the feel of a larger house. It's holding you back from enjoying the space you have.

Good luck with your project!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

THAT is a good idea. Husband doesn’t think tv on the front of the house is good, but I think I could talk him into it. You’re right about too much stuff, too. Feels like I’ve had a good therapy session.

• partim
    2 years ago

LOL! I think you will really enjoy reading the books. I read them before we renovated our house and I got a lot out of them. We didn't make significant structural changes but we changed how we used the spaces in the rooms.

• chachawoman
    2 years ago

I also had Partim’s idea of switching your dining room and tv room. I removed the wall between my dining room and kitchen and got rid of my kitchen dinette set, leaving me room for an island. I don’t miss the dinette at all! So now my dining room is part of my kitchen area. I love it.

• chachawoman
    2 years ago

No more formal dining room!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chachawoman, it’s like gaining extra square footage and making the best use of it. I’ve been rearranging in my head all night and husband is on board. I also ordered the Susanna books Partim recommended. Amazon had bundle of three of her books and I figured it was worth the small investment to keep from making costly mistakes. I love your countertops-can you tell me what they are?

• partim
    2 years ago

One of the things I liked about both the Susanna books and A Pattern Language is that they focus on identifying/creating the things you love about your house. Sitting in the sunshine reading a book. Encouraging interactions with family. A Pattern Language will get you to think completely differently about your spaces.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

When you are thinking of a remodel, I certainly find myself concentrating on the negative so I need to change my focus. I thought when we moved two years ago I had got rid of sooo much stuff-none of which I have missed-but looking at the pictures I see I’m still hanging on to too many things. It would help if our grown children would need or want our perfectly good furniture, etc. But that’s not going to happen and I don’t blame them for wanting to make their houses work for their lifestyles. We need to learn from them.

• chachawoman
    2 years ago

Gay Max, my counters are HanStone quartz Monterey BG870. Check it out online. They are a very light grey with subtle veining of grey and white. On top of my white perimeter counters they provide a bit of contrast so it’s not total white on white. It ties in very well with my grey island and coffee bar. I’ll post another picture.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beautiful!

• Barbara Simoes
    2 years ago

I think if you rotate the fridge to the left where the hanging cupboard is, that would help tremendously. I think you could then have a decent pantry where the fridge is now.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Barbara Simoes, The plan is to lose that corner and rotate the fridge, but without moving the dishwasher, it won’t give us enough room for a pantry. My drawing shows more space than there actually is. Rats.

• partim
    2 years ago

I am confused by the photo of the inside of the pantry. How large is the pantry inside?

And, are you going to be able to get rid of that whole corner piece to the left of the fridge? Houzz's Kitchen Forum thread "New to Kitchens? Read Me First! (2020 Interim)" is a great place to start. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim

Another good thing to do is to determine how much storage you need, and for what. Are there appliances you don't really use? Serving dishes? Can you pare down your canned/dry goods inventory if you're fairly close to a grocery store?

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another of the many angles in this house-ten inches of the width are behind the door on the right side. We can’t straighten because of the angled hall that leads to the bedroom.
    The contractor said we could take out the corner piece by the fridge. We will lose a little space in the entry (the least of my concerns).
    I am starting tomorrow on a new purge. Right now I’m storing serving pieces, large pots and pans, pressure cooker on shelves in the garage that is not hard to get to. I can use that space more thoughtfully, for sure. I am beginning to be more careful about “stocking up”. No more Costco trips for us!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Partim, you are so helpful. I really appreciate it.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh, and it really helped to get rid of those horrible wire shelves in the pantry. I am at least organized in there now.

• partim
    2 years ago

I'm purging my house too. It seems like things just accumulate - e.g. 5 smallish bags of decaf coffee in various grinds LOL? I've joined a local Facebook "buy nothing" group and it's fabulous for getting rid of things quickly. My children have their own "too much stuff" to deal with and don't want my stuff either, but other people seem to.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The Thrift Store knows me when they see me coming. Seems like I take a load every week. At least you can use up the coffee. I’ve told my family not to give any gifts that cannot be consumed..

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, while I’m waiting the four months it takes to get the cabinets I ordered, I’m turning attention to the outside. Husband hates the big evergreens on the ends of the house and they’re coming out today. What do I get to replace them?

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

You should probably post that question on a landscaping forum. Include the zone you live in so you will get usable advice. Good luck!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, I will.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These are the choices I’m leaning towards. I don’t have a great eye for color-how do they look ? The small samples are cabinets-some wood and some white. I have this fear I’ll be one of the posters who spends a lot of money on a modest house and then hates it. Thanks for any advice.

• J T
    2 years ago

Is an island not possible in your kitchen? I am looking at the peninsula schematic and not sure why you don’t have an island. I would add banquette seating around your bay window, have pull out drawers as part of the banquette for extra storage, and add an island if you can. Have full extension drawers in all base cabinets. For any upper cabinets, make them 15 inches deep to maximize storage. Does that doorway off hallway need to be there? If you put Sheetrock there you can gain more cabinetry. The only reason to keep that doorway to hallway is if it is passage to your garage.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And, unfortunately it does go to the garage that gets used much more than the front door. Those bay windows go all the way to the floor, so banquette seating would be tough. We will have a small table in that window-we are a retired couple who dont want to climb up on bar stools. This will be a small area to eat, but we have a dining room for when family is here. We are having all drawers in lower cabinets and I never thought about 15” deep uppers. Wish I had before we ordered cabinets. I have planned a spot to hang a step ladder that I know I’ll have to use for those high cabinets. I really tried to get an island in here, but the numbers never would add up. I will at least get more prep space and storage this way. Jthari01, thanks so much for taking a look and the advice. Much appreciated.

• Sue54321 ABC
    2 years ago

There are small rolling islands on wheels. Maybe you could get one of those and wheels it out when cooking a big meal and the. Wheel it back out of the way when company comes.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sue54321, to go on the end of the stove row or by the door to the garage? It could hold my Kuerig most of the time.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to all the ideas I’ve received on Houzz, I’m finally to this stage of the remodel. Now, I am joining the millions of others who have asked for help on their backsplash. This tile has been ordered, but I am still on the fence about it. Any opinions out there?

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

Only 6 weeks of cooking outside and microwave dinners and we are done. There is no such thing as perfection, but our kitchen is more functional and much better looking. Received much inspiration from commenters here.

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

After

• anna_682
    last year

Pics?

• hhireno
    last year

Wow, it‘s beautiful!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

Tried to post pictures. Will try again.

• anna_682
    last year

Beautiful! Great job on the updates.

• hhireno
    last year

I’m going to double down on my “Wow” now that I see even more photos!

• Kate
    last year

Beautiful!

• Kay P
    last year

LOVE this!

• Morgan L
    last year

Looks amazing!! And I love seeing the slab front drawers. We’re getting ready for our kitchen remodel and are doing two-tone kitchen with slab front drawers and shakers doors. Love the combo!

• partim
    last year

Very nice indeed! Did you change your pantry cabinet at all?

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

😟 Partim, it was just not possible, but now that I have room for pantry items it only has to hold seldom used appliances. And the couch went to a bedroom with the same morning light for reading. And still getting rid of stuff.
    My slab front drawers make me smile to look at and so useful. No more standing on your head to reach the muffin tins.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Very nice renovation!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

Morgan L, good luck with your remodel.

• herbflavor
    last year

the wood with the white is really great. with the windows and light ..pool and nice privacy the light filled space works well with all the white adjacent to the medium wood you picked. Its a pretty bright white but I like how you used it consistently . Super results !!

• course411
    last year

Wow! Gorgeous!

• coray
    last year

Very nice! Glad you got it all figured out and completed! (We are at the very beginning of it….still have lower cabs and all appliances….except: I went to turn on my undercab lights, and they weren’t working! After I was puzzled, briefly, I remembered/saw that they were all gone…..duh me!!🤣)

• Shawna
    last year

WOW! Great job! Love everything about it. Tile is especially cool. Good thinking on getting that fridge out of the corner!

• gaymax
    Original Author
    last year

Herbflavor convinced me to move that fridge. And now we can open BOTH doors all the way.