SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Dark countertops (soapstone) in a small, windowless kitchen? Bad idea?

julieste
2 years ago

I have a townhouse with a small (9 x 13) interior kitchen with 8' ceilings. There is no natural light. But, there are two large pass through windows.

My kitchen is nearly identical to the layout of this kitchen, and I have similar plan with uppers only on the back wall rather than upper corner cabinets. I don't have that light well like there is in the center though, and my kitchen may be a teeny bit larger.

Example photo of a kitchen with the layout I have.

Natural Maple Shaker Kitchen · More Info

I plan to have lots of lighting (ceiling cans and undercabinet). Cabinets are going to be natural maple with slab doors. Floors will be a somewhat light oak vinyl plank that's darker than the natural maple cabinetry. Backsplash is yet to be determined, but it will be simple and light colored. Overall, I am going for a more modern look overall--something similar to these two:

Maple cabinets – a good choice for elegant and modern kitchen cabinets · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

I have been shopping for slabs. Natural materials are what most call to me, and I have pretty much narrowed it down to soapstone or Danby marble. (I have had both of these materials in the past and know how to live with them.) I think soapstone would look good and provide a nice contrast but am worried that in an interior room with no natural lighting it may just suck up too much of the light.

Here are example photos of both of the looks. What do you think about soapstone? Is it too dark? I don't know if it is relevant of not, but this is in Florida. However, I am trying to go with the more modern architectural vibe of the place rather than doing the stereotypical beachy Florida look.

Kitchens with soapstone.

Bayview House · More Info

Crane Residence · More Info

A kitchen with marble.

Modern kitchen with CWP Cabinetry & Marble Island · More Info

Bottom line: what do you think? Thanks much.

Comments (32)