SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar__magnolia

Life after bacterial wilt

Kari Johnson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Zone 6A, Western NY. My determinate rutgers tomato wilted suddenly and I had noticed prior that it had not been very good at supporting itself, collapsing against the stakes with folds in its branches. It grew to nearly 7' tall so I thought it was just heavy. Also, a branch of my cherry tomato was wilted. Perfectly green, but hopelessly wilted. I cut off a branch of the Rutgers - hollow like a straw all the way through. Bacterial streaming test was immediately and clearly positive. I moved and finally have a yard, and I have gotten not even one season out of my new raised beds.

I've put so much time, effort, and money into my garden. I've purchased u-posts and a forest's worth of bamboo stakes. I also have tomatoes in grow bags. I'm lower income, and I've made sacrifices to be afford the garden I've always wanted.

My peppers aren't wilting (yet) in the same bed. I've read mixed things about peppers getting bacterial wilt. Should I prepare myself for my peppers to die, too?

Can I safely sanitize the bamboo stakes and U-posts (that have some rust)? I have a ton of grow bags and was going to build a platform off of the soil and do all grow bags next year - but they'll still need stakes. Maybe a prolonged soak? I read a pdf from UConn that said a half-hour soak in Green-Shield or 10% bleach for 30 minutes is sufficient after scrubbing and rinsing thoroughly.

What can I plant in my beds (zone 6a)? I read that tomato wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum) has over 200 alternate hosts and has even infected blueberry bushes (which I also have in grow bags, and love, and want more of, but there's not enough space in my garden for more). Unfortunately I'm mostly a nightshade gal - tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers. Could I do cauliflower/brussels sprouts, basil, zucchini, day-neutral strawberries? I love the way beans look but I'm just not a huge fan.

I need some words of encouragement. I am feeling so down and sad. I barely slept last night and dreamt that every plant I touched immediately wilted and died. I know it sounds so overdramatic, but I loved my tomatoes so much, have spent countless hours building, trellising, watering, fertilizing, sprayingm, researching, and I think there's actually a touch of legitimate shock and grief going on.

Comments (20)