SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Amaryllis not blooming 2 years after repotting

dirtygardener
2 years ago

I'm in N. Florida, Z9a, and amaryllis don't always go dormant here. The ones in the ground do, but the ones in containers that live inside my courtyard may or may not, depending on how cold it gets.

I have a favorite white amaryllis "Green Goddess" that I grow in a container. At first, it bloomed every year, although it blooms later than my others that are in the ground and in containers. It was in a plastic container, but two years ago, I put it into a terracotta container with fresh soil. It hasn't bloomed since. It had previously put up two pups, and I kept one and gave one away. The one I kept hasn't bloomed either.

Is it the terracotta that it hates? Is that making the soil too alkaline for it? The ones I have in plastic pots and in the ground do well, except for the Green Goddess baby, which is in a plastic pot and refuses to bloom after 5 years.

I usually feed it with Miracle Gro bloom fertilizer in the spring and 15-30-15 after it blooms, which it hasn't, but I did it anyway to form healthy foliage to feed the bulb. It's never gone completely dormant, and I've had to cut off leaves that got too long every year. Most of my amaryllis put out leaves before blooming, which may just be the climate.

I'm disappointed that there were no more babies. I've often thought of slicing it up to make more plants, but then they would take many years to bloom, so I don't.

Comments (12)