SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edgard_riba

Questions about perched water table (PWT)

Edgard
2 years ago

Hi,

I am a novice container gardener (figs, citrus and annonas). The first time I read about "perched water tables" was here, reading Al Tapla's posts. I have found a ton of information that I couldn't find anywhere else. Thanks to Al and all other who contribute questions and answers to the many posts. I still have a lot of reading to do...

I have a couple of questions about PWTs that maybe can be answered here.

Before the questions, I would like to list some principles (P) to see if I got them right.

(P1) The PWT forms when the capilary force of the growing medium becomes larger than gravity, and thus water is held in the soil rather than continue to flow.

(P2) By the same 1st principle, putting a layer of pebbles on the bottom of a pot does not work, because there is no capilary action between the pebbles and the soil, and thus, the PWT remains the same height on the soil. So, if for example the PWT is 6 inches, you would continue to have 6 inches over the pebbles.

(P3) Growth mediums with particles over 0.10 inches in diameter do not exert a capilary force over water, and thus do not have a PWT.

Now the questions:

(1) If instead of a layer of pebbles I put a layer of inert particles of, for example, 0.05 inches, would the PWT height go down? Would some of the water from the soil move to the layer of particles that at this size do have some capilary force?

(2) A related question. If I put such layer of particles of 0.05 inches, and in addition insert some cotton or rayon strands into the layer and the rest of the strand sit on top of the layer (so as to add some wicking action), would that result in me transfering the PWT from the soil above to the layer of 0.05 inches inert stuff? Again lowering the PWTs height....

(3) Finally, relating to putting a wicking strand on a container. Why is it that the wick has to go down, rather than just lay horizontally? I don't understand the principle here. I was thinking/understanding that the wick pulled the water from the PWT by capillary action, but if that is the case, putting it on the side of the container should achieve the same effect, or so it seems.... What is going on here?

Thanks for any thoughts on these "principles" and questions!

Comments (3)