SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelli_ga

How to DIY temporary fence in loose wet soil

kelli_ga
2 years ago

My dogs need a fence and I cannot yet afford to have one professionally built. My ideal fence would be wood horizontal slats, about 100’x50’ rectangle behind the house. I think they call the soil ”sandy loam”. It rains a lot here and the soil moves, but puddles don’t last long.

I bought 4’ wire fencing (100’) and some metal posts to construct a smaller fence quickly, but I’d really like to do something better than that, that I can trust to stay up. There are so many fencing options that I am getting confused. If I could build some sort of hybrid where I could have some permanent posts (that drain well), and modify the fencing material and borders over time, that could be great. But I am worried about expense, drainage, posts being secure and wood rotting. I don’t want to invest too much more money in something that I will throw away when I can afford the full fence.

I have a lot of trees and brush to clear before I can build the complete fence. I don’t know if that matters. I will probably not take down trees though, unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

I have 3 wood palettes, some of which I can use for a temporary gate without spending too much more money.

Any ideas on how I can approach the fence project? The dogs are walked on leash now and they are getting tired of being restricted.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (15)