SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
mtnrdredux_gw

what do you think?

mtnrdredux_gw
last month
last modified: last month

I don't know why this wasn't showing up. Apologies if it shows up a bunch of times.

There was an interesting article in the NYT about people getting b000ster shots, and I had linked it,

I think it's time for b00ster shots. I bet we will hear that in the next 30-60 days. Just like they said no masks, and then said "oh, wait.." Yes, we should let everyone get theirs first, but a lot of people are just not taking up on the offer. And everywhere I go I see free shots; I was in Grand Central the other day and they give you a shot and train ticket! ("visit a vacxination pop-up stop, extended indefinitely, to get your single-dose vacxine and free MetroCard or train ticket. Just drop in, no appointment needed.)

I have a weird situation. I got my first shot at Walgreens, and my second at a drive thru run by the County Health dept. The VAMS system only knows about the second shot so they they keep bugging me to get another. I think soon there will be a mad dash for b00sters, so I may as well waltz in now while they are begging people to come.

I mentioned way back that, in planning our holiday trip to Europe, one country (Austria) would not allow entry to anyone whose vaxx was more than 9 months old; ours will be just a few days past that mark when we are due to arrive. I have kept that in the back of my head that someone, somewhere, in a position of authority, with a financial disincentive to conclude this, already had their doubts about vacxine longevity.

Do you know anyone who has gotten one?

Comments (64)

• maddie260
    last month

My recall is that boosters will be for 65+ and the immune compromised in September. Also, something that piqued my interest yesterday was this: there is much debate re mask mandates and vaccines. We have to realize we are no longer dealing with Covid 19; we are now dealing with Covid 21! Things change.

• maddielee
    last month

I expect that many of the current requirements abt travel to other countries (and life in general, sadly) will be changing as more variants start taking hold.

• Sueb20
    last month

I don't know anyone who's had a booster, or really any availability of boosters around here. DH had an appt. with his PCP last week and asked him about it and he had a long answer but it boiled down to: "not yet."

• Kswl 2
    last month

I dont want a booster until it is variant specific. The covid vax may become an annual shot similar to—or even bundled with—the ”regular” flu vaccine based on variant prevalence.

• 2katz4me
    last month

Well I hope when boosters are available that they're readily available and we don't have the crazy, mad scramble that happened with the first go round.

• czarinalex
    last month

I thought the same thing last week as I was in the supermarket while they are trying to entice people to get a vax. DH and I got both jabs in CA, Pennsylvania has no record of our vaccine. It would be easy enough to walk in and request our '1st' shots. Does anyone think they are reformulating the current vax? I don't think the b000ster will be any different.

• Springroz
    last month

Since I have had 2 strange reactions to being in a room with many vaxxed people, it has galvanized my resolve to remain un…….

Our dance group moved inside 4 weeks ago. The first time I went, the next morning I woke up SO dizzy. I could not look down. it got better by noon, and was fairly well gone by 5 pm, but I did not go to my normal bike ride that evening.

This week, Tuesday morning after dance, I had spotting. It was only once, but there is that chance.

They could both be coincidental, but clotting, etc. HAS been reported in va((ed and when in contact with va((ed people, so….

Now my vacced friend has had a heat stroke while on her bike. She rides 40 miles about 4 times per week. She is VERY well-acc;imated to the heat. At about 10 miles, she just fell over. At the ER, her BP was very high.

You all be careful out there in the heat. Your blood may be thicker or stickier than normal.

• maddielee
    last month

^^I have never heard of any rhe reactions you have described. Hope you and those you are close to stay well.

• 2katz4me
    last month

@Springroz - you may want to see a doctor if those symptoms continue - could be something serious - you never know.

• suero
    last month

mtn: The way I read Austria's rules, the 270 day are added to the 90 days, which gives you 360 days since your first vaccination. I may be wrong.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked suero
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last month

springroz - do I understand that you are saying regardless of your status, you had reactions to other people’s vaxed bodies?

• roarah
    last month

Spring, far more clotting is occuring in those infected with covid than seen in vaccinations. You are far safer around vaccinated people than you are around unvaccinated people who are over three times more likely to be infected with covid than those vaccinated. So, if you really want to avoid clotting get your vaccine.

I have a history of clots and have had two massive ischemic strokes when I was infected with shingles. Flu, shingles, pneumonia, blood infections and especially covid lead to death via sepsis, DIC and clots frequently while the vaccine odds of clotting are as likely as a lightening strike. As a person with acquired thrombophilia I got the vaccine because it was by safer by far for me than getting covid.

The link to thrombosis and infection has long been recognized as have rare clotting events after other forms of vaccination long before covid even. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6848062/

• gsciencechick
    last month

I've seen *a lot* online, but i've never seen what Springroz posted.

It has been oppressively hot and humid and anyone can be susceptible to heat stroke.

• cawaps
    last month

There is no scientific mechanism for an unvaxxed person to "catch" the vaccine from a vaxxed person. None. Not even theoretically. So Springroz, you really might want to check with your doctor if you are concerned about your symptoms to figure out what caused them.

• scmatlanta
    last month

Is a booster necessarily the same thing as a third shot? I had been under the impression that it would be formulated to take into account newer mutations

• jojoco
    last month

Springroz, I can understand why those two events concerned you. My guess is that the heat from all those people exercising indoors, during the summer, caused heat exhaustion or heat stroke. It's a weird phenomon that sometimes takes a day to show. If you do those classes again, you might want to double down on gatorade while you're dancing.

No clue on the spotting. If you're menopausal, these things happen at the most random times.

If you truly believe that someone is shedding their vaccine and making you sick, could you please send a link that supports this? In my understanding that there is no scientific evidence for this theory, and in fact plenty of research that shows why this is physically impossible. But, all that being said, I'd like to read your research.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

It can be formulated differently but afaik, most boosters are not. If you got 2 shots already , the second one was a booster, and identical to the first.

“Boosters“ then, are available everywhere you see vaccx available… it just means a second or third dose. Not sure if they’d give you one if you offered up that it was your third dose.

omg, Suero … duh!!! i just skipped ahead and read the second part since i had 2 doses. yay yay!

as Emily Littella would say … never mind 🙂

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

As i said above above, if they do a booster officially, it is entirely possible the might tweak it. You could that one too though.

• mollycats
    last month

I am very concerned about getting a booster. I got the Moderna vaccine in Jan. & Feb. I felt somewhat fatigued for a few days but, nothing serious. A month later, I was hospitalized with pneumonia and blood clots in my lungs. I have no idea if the vaccine caused it or, if it was just a fluke. I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

• roarah
    last month

Very good point, Robo!

• Rory (Zone 6)
    last month

I would wait. They may be able to update the booster to help with emerging variants.

• robo (z6a)
    last month

On that note - I sponsored covid relief efforts in India when I got my first and second shots - it’s an easy way to feel good about our good fortune.

• robo (z6a)
    last month

(On top of my regular giving I mean)

• Kswl 2
    last month

I think Springroz is pulling our collective legs. 🧐

• sas95
    last month

I am hoping that's the case.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

Robo, do you have the name of the charity devoted to distributing vaccines? thx

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

• jmck_nc
    last month

My DIL (works in cancer healthcare) told me about an article she read that reported on a study finding that a 3rd shot (booster but not different from original) of Pfizer provided 90% protection from Delta. So, she thinks a third round is coming soon at least for healthcare providers.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jmck_nc
  • OutsidePlaying
    last month

I dont know anyone who has gotten one because I didnt know a booster was available yet. Pfizer is working on one and surely others are too, and i was under the impression it is different from the original vaccine. Somewhere i heard our first shots may peak out at efficacy at 180 days (after the second shot), so yes, we will be getting one.

• artemis_ma
    last month

I saw an article earlier this week where it was noted that the Pfizer vax might only be totally effective for 6 months, then it begins to wear off. Dunno about Moderna, which is what I got. But my last shot was mid June.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked artemis_ma
  • patriceny
    last month

Mtn I've been debating getting a 3rd shot too. I had my 2nd shot at the end of April. Part of me feels guilty to live in a country where this is even an option. But as you noted they're begging people to come in right now and I'm hearing expiration dates are perhaps forcing them to have to throw some away. Reminds me of being a kid and hearing I should eat my veggies because children are starving elsewhere. 😐

mtnrdredux_gw thanked patriceny
  • olliesmom
    last month

jmck, the vaccine was already suppose to be 90% effective from Covid. Are you saying 90% won't get Covid at all on this booster? I am anxious to see how this booster turns out with effectiveness on those who just keep taking it and taking it. That is a lot of Covid vaccine in your body.

I am still naturally immune almost one year out. Delta is a variant of Covid, so those naturally immune still have some protection, if not almost total protection, these breakthroughs are VERY rare for those naturally immune.

eta: It is really sad no one in the CDC thought to kept track of those naturally immune with Tcell/B memory blood tests, before getting the vaccine, who already recovered from Covid. We do not have the best scientists in charge. They are a joke really.

• Tina Marie
    last month

@jmck_nc that is interesting. We had Pfizer and I would definitely get a 3 shot/booster if it becomes available. @patriceny I wasn't aware that we can get a third shot at this time?

Here, we had absolutely no troubles getting our vaccine. In fact, I had signed up for one location when I saw a drug store near us scheduling on-line and I could schedule both our doses at that point. So, very easy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

Suero, Oddly my intra-international post resurfaced and someone linked to a EU site.

OMG, it's like 8th grade Word Problems all over again.Look at this Austria reqmt from here: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/OTC/AUT

• 21 days, and no more than 90 days, have elapsed from dose 1 of 2;
    • the second dose of vaccine has been received, and no more than 270 days have elapsed since then;

Krap I am back to thinking I need a booster.

Patrice, Yes, it is hard to see literally how my foregoing a shot helps anyone, especially when they expire, but of course in aggregate, if everyone did ...

I am curious how many doses are going bad with the tepid pick up in some regions?

• robo (z6a)
    last month

Mtn this is where I donated, through global giving https://www.snehalaya.org/covid2021

mtnrdredux_gw thanked robo (z6a)
  • robo (z6a)
    last month

Or you can donate directly to Covax here: https://gogiveone.org/

mtnrdredux_gw thanked robo (z6a)
  • l pinkmountain
    last month

It's kind of difficult to make a prediction when so many folks are embracing just getting sick and allowing others to get sick and spread the disease even more. Given that mind set, given what has happened in the past with viruses, I would expect covid to continue in waves and for it to be very difficult to stay ahead of the curve. The reason we are seeing breakthrough infections is the fact that clinical conditions and trials, even with large groups of people, are not going to give the same results as large scale on the ground implementation into real world conditions. I see covid and other respiratory type infections that spread easily and rapidly between people being the conditions of our future lives. It only makes sense given the large scale of human populations and how we interact. Some times may be worse than others, and we will either adapt or suffer the consequences. It has really been a relatively short period of human history where infectious disease has not played a major role in society. I hope we come up with some better treatments but its very difficult given the nature of a virus, which is to invade the cells of the body.

• gsciencechick
    last month

If you really want to get into the weeds about boosters, check out this thread

TL:DR it is more effective to get more people v'd, even a small percent increase will help a lot, then to give boosters to the people who are already.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

My primary reason for wanting a booster now is that i think I could need one for our trip given the reqmts in Austria (if the trip even happens). I don't feel the need for one at this time (but I did buy new, better masks per Terriks).

Yes, I would rather see more people vaxxed then some people vaxxed 3x. But I don't control that.

• gsciencechick
    last month

OTOH I just saw that it does appear more than likely that some people will need boosters from Dr. Bob Wachter. At a minimum he said immunocompromized (transplant, etc), older adults though exactly what age is unknown--probably 60+., received J&J one dose, or 6 months + vaccinated. Given a surplus of vaccine, this could be done right away. Ugh, such a nightmare.

• Feathers11
    last month

That's a great explanation, Gsciencechick. Thanks for sharing it.

Mtn, I'm wondering by then if mandatory testing will be the determining factor, given the variants, vaccination rates, and so on.

• Lukki Irish
    last month

Haven’t read all the responses, but I watch a lot of news and I often hear about how the v!rus mut-at-es and the volume of opportunity it has to do that is the determining factor. What’s already been given protects ”us” up to this point, but with a new mut-a-tion it may not. I think they are expecting a new and worse version to pop up soon and that’s why b00sters are slowly coming into the conversation.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last month

There is a new var!ant detected in S. Korea. I didn't post the link but you can Google it - reported by Reuters. This concerns me. I have flights booked next month to visit my mother in Ohio. I have not seen her since Dec. 2019. But we talked today (as we do every day) and agreed it's best just to play it by ear...

ETA - we each have had both jabs, but I have several chronic health problems and, well, she's 89...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last month

IDK. If it were me I'd make international travelers vax, test, and trace.

• Lukki Irish
    last month

“There is a new var!ant detected in S. Korea”

Yes, I just heard that on a clip in the news, not surprising at all. I’m in a sorta of similar situation with my sister. She’s in California, bought a ticket that will allow her to set her travel dates whenever she needs to but is holding off until it’s safe. We’ve become very close in recent years and I haven’t seen her since 2015. I know sisters are different from our elderly parents, but I can relate to the frustrations you must feel. I’m about ready for a road trip!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last month

A road trip at this point in my life would involve my DH, because I couldn't possibly drive that on my own. He never wants to be there for as long as I stay. So air travel it is. Southwest is how I get there. They have already cancelled my initial reservation - trying to move me to a 6:00 am flight (I live 1.5 hours from the Providence airport) and an almost 4 hour layover in Baltimore. So I've changed my dates already. But they are easy to work with, as far as rebooking, and the only airline I fly to Columbus.

Funny truth is, it's easier for us to fly to Europe using Boston Logan than it is to fly to Columbus, Ohio from where we live...

• Lukki Irish
    last month

My sister has her ticket with SW too. I hope you’re able to see your Mom soon, I may still do a road trip, we haven’t ruled out meeting somewhere in the middle. I’m a driver and have driven cross country several times, my daughter and son in law will probably want to join but if not, that’s fine too. Time will tell….

• maddielee
    last month

Boosters are coming….Moderna (and Pfizer) thinks before this winter.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/moderna-says-vaccine-remains-effective-for-six-months-11628165429

Sponsored
Grow | Life Outdoors
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County Landscape & Design Swimming Pool & Patio Construction