SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zinoviy_margovskiy

Need advise on the process to get a quote for kitchen remodeling

We are in budgeting / planning stage for our kitchen remodel project.

We are not planning to add or remove any new structures/walls and would like to keep same layout as we have now.

All we are looking for is to remove current cabinets, put new cabinets, do tile work (floors, walls),

electrical work, possibly some very minor plumbing due to new cabinets install, install new range, sink, dishwasher.

We also plan to hire GC to do all the work for us besides manufacturing & install of the cabinets,

which we feel should be done by the people who sell the product to avoid any issues.

I went through several discussions groups, reviews on the web, etc. trying to understand

cabinets choices, their pros/cons, lingo, local cabinet dealers, etc.

I have also done the rough measurements of our kitchen.

Yesterday we went to visit 4 dealers/stores near our area who had descent reviews on the web and...

With all of them I've started conversation explaining that we are in planning phase and would like

to understand the process and how we can get the feel of their prices.

What I have learned from all of them is that to just get a rough/base quote we should pay $500-$1500 (every place had different price)

for them to come over to our house and do measurements and than start looking at the cabinets and features.

My measurements they would not accept -- no one even looked at them. Again we are just looking for a rough base number for cabinet prices with their install. We do understand that adding features like moldings, beading, wood choices, would add to the price; however, we do not want to spend $1500 just to realize that our cabinets and their install from manufacturer X would be too expensive for us.

We were also told that they would not accept measurements from other dealers, since cabinets very from manufacturer to manufacturer. Therefore, the process would be repeated for other dealers/stores. Bottom line, until we pay $500-$1500, no one would give us a

quote for our project.

Just to summarize, I am really confused on how can I get a rough quote from 3-4 places without spending a fortune. I see people post on this forum they get quotes from various manufacturers/dealers to make their decisions. Do you people pay a fee for every visit/quote? What am I doing wrong?

Comments (8)