SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adam_schanne

DIY French Drain Questions

Adam Schanne
2 years ago

1st home purchase and noticed a major draining issue around the sides of the house. I'm extremely handy and a french drain is pretty simple, but I have a few obstacles I could use advice on.

The house was built in 07 and the walls and foundation have settled A LOT. Lots of issues around the house (tiles broken on a path, cracks in walls) have made me believe that the foundation had an issue and I'm hoping to prevent it from getting worse. The backyard has a very steep angled drop-off. Easy to send the water back there to the swamp (SC) but I either need to go under the AC concrete pad or go under the fence which wouldn't work.

That's my first question, do I just pipe under the concrete pad for the french drain?

The second picture is facing the opposite direction towards the street. My issue here is the massive electrical box that's only 5' or so from the driveway. I have water issues upfront just as much as the sides. The lawn is always sopping wet, especially on the sides of the house.

So how can I remedy the electrical box? I can call a certain company to mark for any wires, pipes, and gas lines I believe. Still something I'd rather not dig near but I see how bad the water issue is.

The other side of the house will be a piece of cake, just not big enough for machines to get in there so it'll be all shovel work... Really grateful for any and all advice, I hope this is an active forum.

Comments (3)