SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_412631568

Metal vs Wood Construction for Detached Shop Building

HU-412631568
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

In addition to the attached side-entry garage, I've always planned to have a detached shop for car/hobby stuff... Generally planned on an oversized 2-car garage with a 2-car carport in front of the garage door.

The property we're looking to build in allows metal shop buildings as long as they are behind the house.

There's a metal building contractor in the area who, after I asked a bunch of questions of, seems to have options/solutions for most of my questions/concerns/requests... Turns out he can fully insulate without violating the warranty of the metal manufacturer for rust, put in a split-mini, knows how to have concrete poured to exceed the tensile strength requirements for my lift, can put rock veneer to match the house (no, I'm not fooling anybody but it helps), offers OSB on the interior to allow for easier mounting of my 'stuff' later, surface mount electrical conduit and plugs around perimeter, put in high lift door w/ wall mount opener.

...at which point I'd pretty much run out of questions and requests. Oh I forgot to ask about overhead power - I like to hang some reels up there... Might even have him put a small loft in the rear for storage (no attic).

In addition to putting armorseal on the concrete, probably would paint the OSB white. I don't like the looks of OSB (painted or otherwise) but it's functional. Above the OSB would be exposed white vinyl over the insulation - keeping things very bright in there.

OTOH I can go w/ having the general contractor who is building the house, also build the detached shop. It would be built with studs, hip roof, match the house exterior... I'd go with 10 ft walls, drywall the ceiling and go with foam insulation above and a pull down ladder for storage. Likewise a split-mini, high lift door, etc. It would probably be dimensionally smaller and yet might run about $10-20k more (don't have the #s yet)

I've always had small-ish wood-construction shop, never had metal before. Metal always sounded impressive to me... But then if I want to mount something, drilling can be a bit more tedious...

Here's my pros/cons for each option - anybody have any thoughts on this for someone who has never had a metal shop?

Metal:

• Likely larger SF in my case
  • Lower cost overall (even w/ larger SF)
  • Open space above, no joists, improves clearance for lift
  • Have to mount cabinets and such around the metal supports

Wood:

• Likely smaller SF in my case
  • Higher cost (even w/ smaller SF)
  • More aesthetically pleasing exterior/interior (albeit cozier fit for my tools)
  • Can mount things just about anywhere (I like to use French cleats)
  • A little less clearance overhead w/ same wall height but 10 ft is 'enough' for my needs

Comment (1)