SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
raggiosole

Farmhouse kitchen pendant lights HELP

Raggio Sole
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I really need help deciding which pendant light shape goes better in my kitchen and how many to i stall. Ideally….I would go for a farmhouse look and I ‘d like to keep the style simple rustic rather than too modern and formal. I prefer black pendant lights. Backsplash will be all white 2x6 Cle zellige tiles (sea salt color). Kitchen hardware will be flat black. My favourite lights are the Millenium Barn Lights but i don’t know if they actually look good in my kitchen. Also, the range hood is not centered with respect to the island. so So, i am not sure if i should install 2 of 3 to balance things out. I am just afraid the 3 pendant look would look more outdated than having two bigger pendants. I keep going back and forth and at this point I am confused.

Kithen

Millenium Barn Lights

Eugene Lights

Butte Lights

Drum Lights

Krauss Lights

2 Millenium Barn Lights
3 Millenium Barn Lights
2 Eugene Lights
3 Eugene Lights
2 Butte Lights
3 Butte Lights
3 Drum Lights
2 Drum Lights
3 Krauss Lights

Comments (38)

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I forgot to mention that I am open to other suggestion if you think none of those lights works. I just tried to stay away from glass because of the kids…

• anj_p
    2 months ago

I vote glass. Not sure why your kids would have anything to do with a pendant choice? You don't let them climb on the counters do you?

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

No climbing on counters for sure :-) Yes, maybe I am overthinking this and a glass choice would be just fine. I am not sure if I can achieve more of a farmhouse look with glass pendants rather than one of those listed above, though.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, I’d like to have pendants for sure. I guess my biggest question is: should the pendants have a shape like the Butte pendants to follow the lines of the range hood or should the pendants have a rounded shape instead? I am not sure what the interior design rule would be here…

• herbflavor
    2 months ago

the rear wall has a great hood and the mini shelves and everything. If you want/need pendants you may not realize but the black shade look is obliterating that feature element of the wall from the straight on view. Pendants are fine but get clear glass shades and the shape doesn't matter. Butte or drum shape are the ones I like ,,,source that sort of thing in a clear glass...maybe light frosted glass if you must.

• anj_p
    2 months ago

I agree with @herbflavor and @houssaon that the pendants you're choosing are interfering with your kitchen view (why I suggested glass below). IMO glass is what would work best in your kitchen.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you so much for your feedback! It makes sense. I will look into a few glass pendant options then and report back.

• calidesign
    2 months ago

You have plenty of recessed lights. I wouldn't use any pendants at all. You have enough going on behind the pendants that they aren't needed, and your kitchen looks better as it is now.

• nan-nan
    2 months ago

It is a very fresh and pretty kitchen so I think you are wise to not block its view. If you dont find anything in glass to your liking, what about something smaller in cream to match the cabinetry?

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Would something like this work as well?

• nester44
    2 months ago

NO to the glass-and-white candelabra lights. I think 3 of the Butte pendants look best. The conical shape of the Butte pendants picks up on the shape of the range hood.

• herbflavor
    2 months ago

the glass single schoolhouse pendant in nan 's post above seems really nice. Clear but with some detail to the shape to be of interest. so you will feel its presence ...in the right way for your space.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I like it and I’ve been looking at clear glass simple pendants. I like the ones in these pics. HOWEVER… I feel like they are nothing special, no character and I don’t like to see the bulb.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My inspiration and different styles I LOVE instead are these. Any pro designers out there that can pitch in and steer in the right direction? It seems a lot is based on personal taste, so it’s hard for me to pick

• Shannon_WI
    2 months ago

I am with the commenters here who say you don't need pendants at all. They will clutter the space, and certainly not 3, but really, 0 pendants is the right number.

Your inspiration pictures all show kitchens larger than yours, that can handle the additional fixtures.

Why do you want pendants so much?

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    2 months ago

When you look at the kitchen in person, it feels like it is missing some jewelry to bring it to life and make it pop. I understand I can go for an understated classy glass pendant but there might be an happy medium if I find a pendant that complement the kitchen and bring it to the next level a bit. That is why I liked the simple barn light that most people voted for so far, I though they are simple enough but they also accentuate the cozy rustic feel I am looking for. The feedback I am receiving is so great and really help me to think about this. The more the better. So thank you all for pitching in.

• calidesign
    2 months ago

One thing you haven't mentioned is the dining room table light. Do you have a fixture there? Maybe you can use your black fixture over the table and then glass pendants. Or put a really interesting, large light over the table and you may find the space doesn't need the pendants.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

I don’t have a fixture on the table yet. I’d like to pick the pendants first, then choose a table light to coordinate with them. Here are photoshopped pics of glass pendants over the island.

• calidesign
    last month

I like the first or third options best, but due to the shape of your island and the lack of symmetry on the cabinets behind the pendants, I really think it would be best to forgo pendants completely.

• herbflavor
    last month

id pick number 4 of this last group. the creamy white blends in with the surrounding wall cabinets. quite nice/ a bit different /size and shape seem the best/ and not overwhelming at all

• kelli_ga
    last month

If you do add pendants, I keep feeling like a cylindrical shape is the way to go. Some of the rounded shapes look cheap to me in your kitchen. That island end design with the X is the star for me. Straight sides seem to conflict less with the lines behind the island.

Here is a flush mount I installed in hallways that looks like a pendant. The light bulb can be a bit blinding, but the seeded glass makes it sparkle. I used a long led edison bulb with straight sides instead of the one shown. This is an inexpensive light that gives a lot of visual interest without being busy, and it doesn’t look cheap IRL. You can probably find similar shapes in pendants that both stand out and blend with your other lines.

At any rate, don’t spend a lot of money on something that you don’t love.

• Ellie G
    last month

After voting above, I find I do like some of the warmer options further down in the thread, whether glass or the copper ones you found. The warmer tones bring out the lovely wood of the shelves, stove hood, and floors. Whatever you end up with, totally agree with herbflavor and others about the third pendant blocking the view. Two seems to go better with the layout of the cabinets.

In terms of the kitchen "needing jewelry," remember the current in-progress state isn't a good gauge of what it will look like. Yes, it all looks pretty spare and white right now, but remember that the finished/working kitchen is going to have a lot more color and texture: the backsplash, stools at the island, dish towels, utensil crock, fridge magnets, houseplants, things on the counters and shelves ….

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

These are the counter stools newly arrived. Also, I placed a few cabinet hardware samples on the doors just to have a better sense of what the kitchen will look like. Based on all suggestions here, I am going for 2 pendants instead of 3 and I will placed them symmetric wrt the range hood. Based on all suggestions, I am also not going for black pendants, instead I love the idea of a whitish/light colored pendants. This is seriously harder than choosing countertop and backsplash…. What about this?

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

For the white pendant, I would do the hardware all black instead of brass and black. The other pendant is antique nickel.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

I forgot to mention, the faucet and the pot filler are polished nickel

• nester44
    last month

The conical white pendants with all-black hardware look really nice. I especially like your choice of stools that complement the wooden shelves and hood detail. Enjoy your lovely kitchen!

• herbflavor
    last month
    last modified: last month

either of these would be fine. they each have the correct feel for the space. the nickel has to be evaluated in person because metal has tone and sheen and we cant tell that. It might be the best. I like the white too. Your call...these two are very nice. [I still like the white w the cutouts posted 20 hrs ago.... must admit-a little eclectic / which I like].....Your kitchen looks great.

• calidesign
    last month

Those two new options look great. I love the polished nickle. Maybe choose your dining table light to help you decide between them.

• Ellie G
    last month

Agree that the two lighter options in nickel and white look great. Just a question of what you like better

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

My favorite is the nickel pendant. It is thomas o'brien goodman pendant in antique nickel. My faucet and pot filler are Kohler brand polished nickel. Does anybody know if they would go good together? It is hard to tell from pics alone.

https://m.visualcomfortlightinglights.com/product/visual-comfort-thomas-o-brien-goodman-pendant-tob5090an-an.html

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

Here is the pendant.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    last month

The nickel finish looks different based on different pics.

• kelli_ga
    last month

If you are doing black accents in the kitchen, the antique nickel might read as in-between the black and polished nickel. I don’t think it would conflict, and it may add more interest.

• chloebud
    last month

Another option...

• Ellie G
    last month
    last modified: last month

The brushed nickel pendant would be great with the faucets. Personally, I'm feel like elements that complement each other are more comfortable to live with, more tolerant of the messiness of real life, and give the room more interesting texture vs. everything super matchy matchy.

• Raggio Sole
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I posted my updated final group here (lots of pics) and now choosing the one! Can't wait to hear what you all think :-)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6175414/pros-objective-feedback-pendant-lights-please