SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

It's Penzey's spice ordering time!

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

OK, I must admit that this is a rather pointless post. I feel like Steve Martin in the movie The Jerk--"The new phone books are in!" And I can't share the news on FB because I've already maxed out my 200 peeps with way too many garden and food weenie related posts. So here I am, feeling the need to share my excitement with my fellow weenies.

I get to order from Penzey's maybe once a year, twice tops. I just can't see paying for the shipping and using the resources for a small package. This year the emphasis is going to be on pickling spices/whole seeds. I learned about Penzey's spice company on the Cooking forum many, many years ago. I was able to once make a pilgrimage to a store in Grand Rapids MI but I don't do many road trips these days, me and my car are both feeling our age . . .

On the docket are: mustard, dill and fennel seeds, dried onions and parsley, dill weed, ground pepper, Italian seasoning mix (not sure on that one, there are several mixes and I might pass and just make my own custom blend) orange peel and ground ginger and maybe Fines Herbs.

https://www.penzeys.com/

Edited to add that I ended up deciding to make my own custom Italian and Fines Herbs mixes since I didn't like Penzey's version even though it was traditional with tarragon. I have tarragon and don't particularly like it. Also I have a glut of the herbs needed to make the Italian mix, having accidentally acquired a big bags of oregano, basil and thyme. I see I forgot the ground pepper, but I can get that locally, it's nothing special. I ordered big bags of the seeds and other herbs so I am set for a while and will probably soon be experimenting with my own French and Italian herbal mixes from the raw ingredients. I try to use as little packaging as possible for my herbs, try not to buy those small jars although I save them and refill them from my herb storage stash.

Comments (40)

Sponsored
More Discussions