SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
kcd83

How to choose Cornice/Scotia/Coving to complement 1910s house moulding

kcd83
last month

Are there good design principles to lean on when choosing moulding to complement existing mouldings?

Existing mouldings to complement:
- sizable baseboard skirting at 8.5 inches / 220mm height but simple
- plate rails above doors
- one room has a moulded capital and decorative bracket for cased opening

There are no ceiling roses but going too plain with the coving feels like a missed opportunity. The top two we have found are:

- USG New York - concave (a pro or a con?)
- USG Sydney - curvy (an S, not a simple convex shape)

More background: We have a 1910s timber house so have looked at typical houses built in the same era here in NZ/AU. We can tap into the influence of Victorian/Colonial villas, Arts & Crafts/Art Nouveau Bungalows, a little Edwardian or what our neighbouring Australians call the Federation era. However, nothing typical of these styles resonates with me and searching online returns examples that are way too elaborate for us or even the original builder/architect.

Comments (8)

• Allison0704
    last month

We also had trim replicated to match the original. From the glimpse into your home, it looks charming.

• kcd83
    Original Author
    last month

New York is similar, probably more detailed than the original. I could get a close up.

Any preferences - Sydney vs New York?

• modpod
    last month

Like already mentioned have someone replicate the pieces that are missing, you and your house will be happier with the end result when finished. You will never really find something exactly like it is and putting up an almost, but not quite right will give you more issues. Good luck! Looks like a lovely home.

• Allison0704
    last month

New York.

• kcd83
    Original Author
    last month

I should've been more specific. There is no original cornice in the house only other details I listed. There is some slightly sympathetic mdf, some very standard mini plaster coving and there is an area that is square-set.

Hence a dilemma worth some research

• modpod
    last month

Oh in that case, New York.