SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdesanti

soap dispenser on quartzite?

tdesanti
2 years ago

Quartzite bianco superiore was installed. My installer kept talking me out of installing the soap dispenser we purchased. Said it will forever have a permanent dark/stained ring. This freaked me out so I did not make him drill the hole.

However in all houses I LOVE the dish detergent being in a built in soap dispenser. Was he correct? Is it better to have the soap in a movable bottle than in the dispenser. Specifically on this material counter?

Comments (32)

• darbuka
    2 years ago

Tdesanti…in case you’re new here…Karin_mt is our stone expert, with years of experience in the field, and degrees in geology. I would listen to her. She knows what she’s talking about.

• Related Discussions

Marble Tops/Non-Etching Liquid Hand Soap/Motion Soap Dispensers

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks PPC. I've read the first link and started the second. LOL I was hoping for first hand knowledge of specific brand names but most of the information in those threads is inconclusive, so I thought I'd ask again. It'd be great to be able to find one OTC! I ordered some PH balanced soap used in laboratories but it's thin and barely foams.
    ...See More

Touchless soap dispenser that foams any soap?

Q

Comments (2)
    i know that Georgia Pacific makes one under the name of en motion, but it is rather large (10 x 5.5" and wall mounted. They may have others though
    ...See More

soap dispenser that hooks up to a soap bottle

Q

Comments (6)
    Google the "NeverMT" or "Never MT". But some people love them, and some people have not liked them at all. So it's a mixed bag. I find it's not that hard to refill my soap dispenser, which lifts from the top and you just pour in the soap, takes a minute, so I opted not to buy a NeverMT. If your soap dispenser is the kind where you have to go underneath the sink to fill it, it would be worthwhile to install the NeverMT.
    ...See More

In Sink soap DIspenser - Hand or Dish soap?

Q

Comments (25)
    I understand the concerns about using dish soap if it tends to dry your hands. That hasn't been a probelm for me, but I do have a child with OCD who tends to wash more than necessary, so for a while I switched from the antibacterial dish soap to a dish soap that was not antibacterial. It was gentler on the hands, and kept my child's hands from cracking (and sometimes bleeding) as they had with the antibacterial soap. Since then, I've diverted my child from constant hand washing to using hand sanitizer in between a normal amount of hand washing, which has solved the problem. Now I can use whatever kind of dish soap I want. But if it doesn't bother your hands, dish soap is a perfectly good hand soap. (My grandmother even used dish soap for shampoo, which I do occasionally for a super cleansing of all hair products from my hair, with no discernible harm.)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This guy is an idiot. Drill the hole and saturate the raw cut with Tenax Proseal. No plumber's putty or silicone please. Now the dispenser spout always drips into the sink instead of on your countertop. Now your hands are always over the sink when you're using the soap. Spilled soap gets trapped under bottles and since we're creatures of habit, we always put the soap bottle back in the same place.

Dribble some soap on a remnant, keep it covered and wet with a bottle for several days, and get back to us please.

Engineered stone. Different material, same effect, except this giant black island is probably ruined; your stone may be able to be poulticed.

• tdesanti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Decisions decision!! I really love a soap dispenser.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

Not as elegant as a built-in dispenser, but you can always get a battery operated dispenser with a spout that overhangs the sink. You don’t have to touch anything when getting soaped up, and as long as it overhangs your sink and your wet hands (which will be over the sink) any soap drips will not go on the counter or drip down the dispenser.

I had a similar problem with my wood counters in our scullery. We actually did drill a hole for a dispenser (actually installed a battery operated one that didn’t work well), and we simply removed it and covered up the hole with the Simplehuman battery operated dispenser.

Maybe they have some better, more attractive ones out there.

That being said, I do have an in-counter soap dispenser in our marble counters in the kitchen and the counter is completely unstained, but I’m careful when filling it to make sure the soap doesn’t drip all over the place. Been in the house 3 years.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Tdesanti…in case you’re new here…Karin_mt is our stone expert, with years of experience in the field, and degrees in geology. I would listen to her. She knows what she’s talking about."

darbuka:

You are correct, and her participation here is greatly appreciated, however, Karin's expertise is literally "in the field". My experience is literally "in the kitchen".

It is the classic case of the academic being technically correct, but practically wrong. Engineers do this kind of thing too. Mathmatically perfect, but no way to cost effectively get the beam down the hill.

• tdesanti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@joseph I was thinking the same thing about even the movable dispenser causing stains. That it will be a wet bottle and even more direct drip-age on the counter.
    Any recommendations on how to test if my counter is sealed well? It was only just installed. But still are not using the kitchen until everything is installed and ready.
    Also and recommended cleaning products?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

tdesanti:

"Dribble some soap on a remnant, keep it covered and wet with a bottle for several days, and get back to us please."

• Julie K
    2 years ago

Our kitchen designer advised against installing a built-in dispenser so we're planning to use the same Simple Human soap dispenser as nidnay's on this thread. We have them in our bathrooms and they go months on a single charge (uses a USB cord similar to a Sonic toothbrush). Prior discussion on soap dispensers.

The Simple Human dispensers aren't cheap, but you can use the occasional 30% off coupon from Container Store, 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupons and 20% off promos at Simple Human's website, and last year I actually found them on Costco's website at a great price!

For those who have a built in dispenser or plan to use one, I highly recommend the NeverMT tubing system which you can find on Amazon. You can then use Costco size dish soap and allows us to go almost an entire year without refilling our sink soap dispenser!

Here's an old string that explains how it works. NeverMT discussion.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

@Julie K….absolutely brilliant! I had never heard of that NeverMT dispenser tubing and will be installing some on my kitchen dispenser! They have several different brands available on Amazon. It definetly solves the issue of overfilling the despenser and prevents the potential spills as well as hardly ever needing to replace the bulk dish soap container.

Thanks for that tip!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"Our kitchen designer advised against installing a built-in dispenser..."

Did she substantiate her argument with pictures?

• AJCN
    2 years ago

I like the soap dispenser with the Never MT. We remodeled in 2014, 6 people here, constant scratch cooking and mess. I’ve put 2 huge bottles of soap under the sink for the Never MT diring that time. Hint: use a piece of sticky velcro to help keep the bottle in place under there. In our case, its hand soap and our dishsoap is in a cruet.

Every time I reseal the stone, I make sure to do it twice at the sink area including around the soap dispenser.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I've had soap dispensers in my granite counters in current house and previous house and it was never a problem. The NeverMT has been around for a long time. Had it in my previous house and current house and love it.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

i guess im just about the only one who didn’t know (about the NeverMT) :)

• M Miller
    2 years ago

I am with @vinmarks - I've had soap dispensers in several different granite counters over 20 years, and never had a problem. I thought real quartzite was as dense as the denser granites. But the problem is, as we've seen so often on this forum, that many quartzites are either not quartzite at all, or have a mix of materials within the stone that make them less dense than true quartzite. Those are the ones that show stains from water and soap and oil. The OP has to make sure she has true quartzite, and then she should be fine with a soap dispenser.

As an aside, I don't see how a separate bottle of soap would drip less than an in-counter soap dispenser, and furthermore they often have drips down the bottle that eventually land on the counter, and furthermore, the bottles are prone to being tipped over when they are less full, so that they will drip out soap in that case. If the OP is getting a separate soap bottle, I suggest she get a tray to put it on.

• Julie K
    2 years ago

The reason our designer advised me against installing a soap dispenser is not because of drips/damage to our counter, but because the dispenser itself is so hard to keep clean. Most have grooves and a metal plate underneath that's hard to keep clean and dry. Additionally, I've had the pin break off on my current Franke dispenser.

YMMV but I'm pretty OCD about cleanliness and because of the flat top over time mine always show water stains on the top/bottom plate. It's also hard to keep the bottom totally dry.

I considered the KWC Zoe soap dispenser which matches the Zoe faucet we're planning for our coffee bar in our primary bedroom suite. Surprisingly both our designer and salesperson confirmed I'd probably experience similar issues with that model as well. Since counter space is tight we're planning to go without a built-in soap dispenser in our coffee bar and test whether I'm okay without it before we start our kitchen remodel next year.

Also, I've used the NeverMT on three dispensers over 14+ years and have never had leaking problems. Occasionally they do get clogs in the line which makes it difficult to pump soap, but when I do my husband always manages to get it working again! :-)

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

I found a youtube video of a hack of the neverMT and she put silicone or glue (can’t remember which one) around the area where the tubing met the dispenser in order to prevent leaks. Seems prudent to do so.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I'm all about cleanliness and have never had problems keeping the soap dispenser clean. I wipe any water around it up and the bottom piece screws off the countertop if further cleaning is needed. This is what my dispenser looks like.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"I suggest she get a tray to put it on."

As my picture indicates, trays and mats can exaccerbate soap damage.

• socks
    2 years ago

Kitchen countertops which stain by soap and water???? What are we doing? I want to do more than look at my new countertop. Maybe I should keep that 40-year-old 4" tile countertop! It doesn't mind soap and water.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC - I said that about the tray because I can’t come up with how having a separate liquid soap bottle on the counter will be better for the OP’s quartzite than having an in-counter dispenser. Soap bottles at the sink can be problematic for drips for the reasons I said above.

@socks - I’ve had different granites in different homes for a couple decades, with in-counter soap dispensers. Never had a stain or any other problems. I don’t see how a tiled counter with its grout lines is better.

If the OP could test her counter with a sample piece then she could see if she has true quartzite which is extremely dense and should not stain from soap, then she could get the soap dispenser she wants.

• kim k
    2 years ago

my soap dispenser has never given me an issue with my quartzite counters.

• wilson853
    2 years ago

We have two kitchen sinks on quartzite, both with soap dispensers. One developed a shadow three weeks after installation. We removed the dispenser, let it dry out, then the fabricator sealed the inside of that hole which was initially overlooked. That was May of 2018. Since then no issues. The nozzle overhangs into the sink so if any soap accidentally spills it doesn't land on the counter. I wish that I had put one in my powder room too.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

I have the tube system soap dispenser (almost a full year) and LOVE it! The spout goes over the sink, not 1 drip anywhere. In fact, I'm putting one of those in the laundry room as well. Our plumber had never seen it, he ended up ordering it for his personal kitchen also.

• tdesanti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all. I have nothing to indicate it is not a real quartzite. It’s only installed last Thursday. No real use since waiting for appliance install. From research the veining matches quartzite.

Is there a way I can test on it?

I think I’m going to do the dispenser and make sure to fully seal the hole.

Honestly it’s all the horrors stories on Houzz that make me question everything.
    I had the dispenser on the granite that originally came with the house and never had issues. Plus if I saw water or soap drip page I cleaned it.

I agree with Joseph and see the resting water and soap drips being so much worse than then the dispenser. Like sitting and building up undercover.

• tdesanti
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@wilson what is your quartzite. Looks so similar to mine.

• wilson853
    2 years ago

@tdesanti, The quarry tag was labeled as nuage macchio oro - Daltile Stone labeled it as Tahitian Cream. Mine appears to be grayer than yours.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"....she put silicone or glue (can’t remember which one) around the area where the tubing met the dispenser in order to prevent leaks. Seems prudent to do so."

Only if you test on a remnant ahead of time. Silicone can bleed irreparibly into certain quartzites. No plumber's putty either, I don't care what the pump manufacturer says.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Misunderstanding…. the silicone was nowhere near the stone. Once the tubing is inserted all the way into the bottom plastic neck of the dispenser, it gets siliconed there. Here’s a snapshot of where the silicone is placed….

• theresa21
    2 years ago

I keep my soap bottle in the sink on the grids. I didn't want additional countertop holes and accessories to clean around. I also prefer the freedom of squirting soap anywhere I want instead of from a fixed location.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have Silestone Quartz counters. I have a built in soap dispenser installed when I renovated my kitchen 2 years ago. I never used it❣️I use my Palmolive bottle on my countertop. I love my Silestone: no stains, no chips, cleans up nice with dishsoap and water❣️