SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

FNM - Songs With Segues

jrb451
2 years ago

I'm going to regret this but...... songs that transition into another one, or more. I'm So Proud, La La La Means I Love You, Cool Jerk,

Comments (52)

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

here's a link to an even longer version ... I hadn't heard the Strawbs in 30 years and could sing along with every word when I rediscovered them a couple years ago. Good times, then and now. live version, Hero and Heroine medley

jrb451 thanked nickel_kg
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

from the comments: this medley starts with "Ar Hyd y Nos" and switches to "Rhyfelgyrch Gwŷr Harlech" at the 00:53 second mark. Both tunes are many centuries old, and are very well known in Wales today. Their titles mean "All Through the Night" and "March of the Men of Harlech".

It's a lovely guitar instrumental, you might know the melodies from elsewhere too, doesn't matter.

jrb451 thanked nickel_kg
  • Related Discussions

FNM Songs With Segues/Medleys/ or Whatever You Like Part 2

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm always a little late to this party (and probably will be in the summer months), but I hope the music lovers will be ok with its continuation. Anyway.....here's one that technically isn't a segue in that it's still just one song, but probably one of the more popular examples of a song that tells a story from both the present and past tense. I've always loved how he did this musically, transitioning from a sentimental / nostalgic feel in the beginning and end, to the lively middle.
    ...See More

Weekend Music (FNM): Love and Valentine's

Q

Comments (31)
    Never heard that version until now - I feel like that song was written for her voice 😊 Here's the one I know - and I still have the record too. This version has the full intro: And thought of this one - a more negative take on love, also by Rodgers, this time with Hammerstein - originally in Flower Drum Song, and sung by Leslie Odom Jr. 1 more:
    ...See More

Weekend Music (FNM): Love and Valentines PART 2

Q

Comments (47)
    It's true, there are thousands of songs about Love - and I kept thinking of one after the other. Many of which are on my own playlists right now. I 'LOVE' [lol] a lot of these songs and many of those already posted. I haven't really listened to the older songs by Burt Bacharach in a long time but I have the duet with Michael McDonald and Patty LaBelle on my playlist right now. That's it for me ... Happy Valentine's Day! Better than anything except being in love...
    ...See More

Weekend Music Thread - FNM - Breakups

Q

Comments (36)
    Looks like it's time for a new thread, so this one doesn't get too bogged down Link to Part 2
    ...See More
  • eltonjohndenver
    2 years ago

jrb451 thanked eltonjohndenver
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

jrb451 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Pink Floyd has a lot of segue songs

jrb451 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As with Nickels first comment I'm not sure what the topic means or has in mind

• jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The BEATLES!

• jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

segue

[ˈseˌɡwā, ˈsāˌɡwā]

VERB

1. (in music and film) move without interruption from one piece of music or scene to another."allow one song to segue into the next"
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Little Feat - Medley Cold Cold Cold Tripe Face Boogie

• jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Train - Heartbreaker & Living Loving Maid

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I think this qualifies...Suite Judy Blue Eyes...where it transitions to a completely different melody and rhythm. If it doesn't qualify, well, I love the song anyway and am happy to have an excuse to post it...

jrb451 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • jrb451 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • Lars
    2 years ago

David Bowie

Future Legend - Diamond Dogs

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • eltonjohndenver
    2 years ago

radio ethiopia/abyssinia

• Lars
    2 years ago

This is a mashup (different kind of segue) with Tear You Apart + Bela Lugosi's Dead

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ZZ Top Waitin for the Bus, Jesus Just Left Chicago

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

I'm quite familiar with the term seque but I've never heard it used concerning different parts of one song. A bridge, yes. A transition, yes. A change of meter or key, yes. Transitions from one song to another in a medley can be called bridges, as are different parts within a song. Or fade in/fade out, or crossfade. So no, I didn't know what you had in mind.

The definition you quoted was to move from one piece to another, so that would be a medley. Or a series of songs. Suggesting that as the theme would have been more clear.

• eltonjohndenver
    2 years ago

Another 'seque' from Diamond Dogs

• User
    2 years ago

In music terminology ’segue’ is pretty much the same as ’attacca’.

That is slightly different than ’medley’.

Either way, just enjoy the music.

ETA from Wiki:

In music, segue is a direction to the performer. It means continue (the next section) without a pause. The term attacca is used synonymously.

For written music it implies a transition from one section to the next without any break. In improvisation, it is often used for transitions created as a part of the performance, leading from one section to another.

In live performance, a segue can occur during a jam session, where the improvisation of the end of one song progresses into a new song. Segues can even occur between groups of musicians during live performance. For example, as one band finishes its set, members of the following act replace members of the first band one by one, until a complete band swap occurs.

In recorded music, a segue is a seamless transition between one song and another. The effect is often achieved through beatmatching, especially on dance and disco recordings, or through arrangements that create the effect of a musical suite, a classical style also used in many progressive rock recordings. The songs may further contain a lyrical connection or overall theme as well. With breakless joins of the elements in his albums Frank Zappa made extensive use of the segue technique.[2] This was first used in 1966 on Zappa's Freak Out!, and a year later on the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.[2]

• eltonjohndenver
    2 years ago

What kind of fool am I / Donna the Prima Donna

• sealavender
    2 years ago

jrb451 thanked sealavender
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Roxsol, in my lifetime of being a music aficionado, including having had recurring paying local gigs as a performer at one point over a period of years, I've never heard the term used. If its use is common and my exposure is isolated, fine. It was why I asked. The terms I replied with are the ones I'm familiar with, the ones I've heard in use. Not segue, not once. Again, what you describe is most commonly called a fade out/fade in for transitions in recorded music, or to use technical terminology use among musicians, "Just keep playing". .

Wikipedia is welcome to say what it wants, I hope you know what the source of Wiki entries is. Whatever it says doesn't change my own personal experiences. Neither do phrases (often from Italian) used in written classical music notation. Not used at all, at all, at all, for popular music.

• User
    2 years ago

Of course, Elmer.

That really goes without saying. Not everyone’s experiences are the same.

And yes, I believe most people know the source of Wiki entries. Perhaps my late eccentric cello teacher added that tidbit. Who knows?

Just enjoy the music.

Eta Not used at all, at all, at all, for popular music.

In my experience, I disagree with that.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I've always loved this one - from The Music Man:

Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell You

jrb451 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"Eta Not used at all, at all, at all, for popular music.

In my experience, I disagree with that, though."

I may have used the wrong term. Ironic in a conversation about terms.

I don't play popular music. I play rock and roll. Almost none of the artists in my lifetime who have written and performed and who have made rock music what it is can read or write music. Some exceptions, some number of keyboard players had classical training and know some theory too. Have rock and roll songs been written down later by others to produce sheet music that can be purchased as in books - of course. Do many performing musicians refer to such sources when learning new songs written by others, as when a new musician joins a band? As far as I know, rarely. Maybe chord tabs, not sheet music. Most play by ear - to learn a song or a part, listen to it and figure it out. A pro knows keys, chords and progressions, better ones know modes. Famous story about the Beatles in their early days taking a bus trip across Liverpool because they heard there was a guy who knew a chord called B7 th that they might be able to use. That's a funny story, nothing special about figuring out the notes in a 7th chord. McCartney famously has said he doesn't read or write music and plays by ear, knowing no music theory at all

Jazz musicians, different story. Country music? I don't know.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

• User
    2 years ago

“I don't play popular music. I play rock and roll.“

Elmer, I think you used the wrong term again. Rock and Roll is a genre of popular music. I think you mean pop music. Maybe not, but Rock and Roll is definitely popular music.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

"I'm quite familiar with the term seque..."

But apparently not with how it's spelled....

;)

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

In the spirit of segue referring to transitions either within or between songs, and "just enjoy the music", there are many dance medley videos ... here's a fun one, both for the dancing and the way the music flows:

jrb451 thanked nickel_kg
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

the mention of Paul McCartney brought this song to mind. Quite likely we all know it. Here's a live version from 2004, so you can see the fun the musicians are having when the song changes pace a couple of times. "Segue" maybe/maybe not, but

fun transition? oh yeah!

jrb451 thanked nickel_kg
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Looks like several of you have found the opportunity to tick off from your daily checklist "be needlessly snarky or rude to another person".

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!" 😄

And I would submit Marvin Gaye's full album "What's Going On" as virtually the entire album seamlessly segues from one song to another.

jrb451 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One of my favorites, Bruce Springsteen’s

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

More snark along with weak and failed provocation efforts. Sad, not clever. Outta here.

• eltonjohndenver
    2 years ago

'Seques' into I'd Rather Go Blind

• Lars
    2 years ago

I had to go to Vimeo for this - it's not on Youtube

My favorite Beatles medley: Mean Mr Mustard, etc.

Also, I cannot make the video show up, and so I had to use a link.

Vimeo has a messed up version. Here is the whole album side on Youtube.

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • Lars
    2 years ago

I'm having trouble finding segues, but here's another mashup, which is somewhat similar:

Dean Martin combined with Julie London

• Lars
    2 years ago

I had forgotten about this one from Human League

Rock 'N' Roll - Night Clubbing

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Lars, maybe some of the bigger artists limit what's available on You Tube. I couldn't find Led Zeppelin's combined version of Heartbreaker/Living, Loving Maid so I posted Train's version.

• jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nickel_kg, another version of Evolution of Dance.

• Lars
    2 years ago

Venus and Mars - Rock Show

jrb451 thanked Lars
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    2 years ago

a change of pace/tone/key within a song

Segue -- from the Italian verb seguire meaning to follow.

jrb451 thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • nickel_kg
    2 years ago

College radio in the 70's introduced me to the idea of intentional relationships between a series of songs by different artists ... something more meaningful than commercial success or popularity. Off and on, I play with "playlists" of my own. Funny thing in light of this thread, the title of this file from 2008 was "music seques-etc" (see the typo! Segue has always been a hard word for me to spell, like conscious/conscience, or skew. They look funny even when correct!). Regardless, I don't remember exactly why the bowie/strummer and bowie/who pairing.

jrb451 thanked nickel_kg
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

Wow we’ve got this far without Eruption/You Really Got Me. Maybe I should shut up!

Surprised not to see this yet (I think):

jrb451 thanked foodonastump
  • cattyles
    2 years ago

Today I learned that it’s possible to mess up a stellar FNM thread when one lacks the situational awareness portion of social skills.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Not sure this fits the theme, but it was all i could think of. Kind of lame. My, it’s pleasant in here this evening.

jrb451 thanked dedtired
  • User
    2 years ago

dedtired, this is even lamer…..

bam, ba, ba, ba, bam

jrb451 thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

jrb451, I wonder if you should start a FNM Songs With Segues Part 2. This one may be slow loading for some.

jrb451 thanked User
  • jrb451
    Original Author
    2 years ago

roxsol, be my guest. This went further than I thought it would. A lot of these ”segue” songs are quite lengthy and I wonder if that adds to the slowness in loading?

• User
    2 years ago

Part 2 has been posted.🙂

jrb451 thanked User