SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ries

architectural style help

Nicole Ries
2 years ago

We bought a house in the upper peninsula of Michigan three years ago. It’s certainly unique. It was built in 1988 and has an almost modern chalet(ish) style but it’s sided in fake “log” siding.

The large window under the balcony deck was added after the original build. The entire room there used to be a covered garage but was enclosed to create more living space. It’s a tiled tv room. The entire house is an inverted living design. Kitchen, living room and main bedroom is upstairs.

We are pulling the siding off and plan to re-side in cedar shingles. You can see the two paint colors we are testing out up above.

My biggest dilemma is what the hell actual style were they going for with this house? Will shingles clash with it? Is it supposed to be modern? Chalet? Something else entirely? Would we be better off with a more streamlined siding style like board and batten? Would the house benefit from a color blocked paint style? It’s extremely confusing to me.

We love craftsman and colonial style but I don’t think we can shoehorn that onto this house in a believable way.

Comments (24)