SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jony_boy

Exposed Steel Beam Finishing - Kitchen Renovation

jony
2 years ago

We decided to remove a support wall dividing kitchen and living room area. A steel beam was installed to achieve that.

House has a cathederal ceiling with no attic space. There is a ridge vent right above where the new beam is installed.

We were planning on finishing this with an exposed beam look and was realling looking forward to untill a friend mentioned that if I left beam exposed inside like that, there might be condensation that can happen during winter time and he advised to cover the beam with a drywall or wood around it.

I was really looking forward to the exposed beam look and I was wondering if there is a way for me to finish it with exposed beam look and not have any condensation on it?

After reading about thermal bridging online I thought since all the beam is going to be inside the house it might never get cold enough to result into condensation. But I am not sure if I am right on that. I certainly don't want water to be dripping on the floor from condensating beam surface in the winter.

Any input on this would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Comments (7)