SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Needing to advise teenage son on careers in building.....

shead
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My son turns 18 in a few days and graduates high school next spring. We homeschool and he's looking at taking dual enrollment courses his senior year to kill two birds with one stone. Obviously, career path and future are on his mind (and ours!!!) and he's not sure if a 4 year degree is really the path he wants to take or not and is looking into the trades, particularly trades that involve home construction. We have several friends that are general contractors so we have connections to help him get his foot in the door. He is entrepreneurially-minded (like his dad!) and has a good work ethic. We'd rather give him the money to start a business rather than sink it into a college degree he'll never use if college ends up being unnecessary for his career path.

That said, with so many professionals on this board, I'd like some input on some niche areas of home building that are in hot demand right now and where the potential to do well (over 6 figures a year) is huge. He will likely be locate in the southern Kentucky/Middle Tennessee area long term.

I'd also love anecdotal stories of how you ended up with your chosen career path :)

Comments (27)