SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treestump206

Suggestions for 2 story great room stuck in the 90's!?

Chris Smith
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! I recently purchased a home custom built in the mid 90's. While the bones are wonderful, nearly every room needs updated. We want to start with the 2-story great room, but are undecided on how to proceed. We have painters coming in a few weeks and I was thinking of using the same wall color throughout the first floor since the great room opens into the foyer and upstairs landing. A big question is whether to paint the oak trim white? I think it would make a huge difference, but like the warmth of the stained oak (particularly in person). In my last home (built in the 80’s), we painted the trim white but left the stained solid wood doors and accent. It worked well, but not sure if I should repeat that here. I appreciate all suggestions as we are not married to anything and are just looking forward to making it our own. I attached a video to help give layout context and additional pics (previous owners furniture in the video and pics).

1. If this were your home, what would you do in this space?
  2. Would you paint the oak trim white?
  3. What color do you recommend for the walls?
  4. Would you keep or remove the window muntins (pics attached of both looks)?

I appreciate any input!

EDIT: It doesn't appear my video link will attach, but can be viewed here (you have to copy and paste the link into a browser): https://vimeo.com/577870661

Comments (36)