Houzz Logo Print
vinamra_bhatnagar

Bad Return Air Duct in Basement

vinamra bhatnagar
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello Guys,

I need some guidance.

I have an 1800 sqft house in Canada. I just moved in, it's a 19-year-old semi-detach.

In the basement I have 2 vents 1 for Supply Air(in the living room) and 1 for Return Air(in the bedroom), I removed the vent cover for cleaning and found the following:

1. The boot duct was not connected to the cover. there was around a 3-5 inch difference.
  2. I removed the boot duct as it was kinda broken. and found the air duct had 20 inches of top part cut off.

now what's happening is, because this return air duct is wide open between the drywall(basement ceiling) and floor(living room 1st floor). This space also leads to the Furness room(basement), which has 2 doors(1 in the basement bedroom, second in the basement living room), so basically, all the air from the Furness room and basement bedroom are sucked back in from this duct.

1 more imp thing is there is no return vent in the first floor/living room. I have 3 return vents on the top floor though(1 in the hallway and 2 in rooms).

I have few questions:

1. Should I seal this opening and make a vent out of it. if vent then how big of boot I needed, 4/5/6 inches?
  2. is it a good idea to have a return vent in the basement bedroom and a Supply in the Basement Living room? or no return vent in the basement will work? I will be renting the basement out, so it's separate from other parts of the house.

in your opinion is this a bad design? Please advise what should I do.

let me know if something is not clear and I will update you with more details.

Thanks

Comments (8)