SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manic_gardener_socal_10a

how to use spinosad for aphid treatment on indoor plants

manic_gardener_socal_10a
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am trying to get rid of aphids on plants in my indoor grow area - the majority of these plants are hot peppers. I believe the aphids are being brought in by ants and then farmed by them, because there is an ant problem as well, and every time I see more ants I see more aphids.

So far I have tried neem soil drench and foliar spray and hydrogen peroxide foliar spray and borax baits for the ants but nothing has worked.

It has gotten to the point where I am "showering" my plants every day to get the aphids off, but they just come back stronger in larger quantities a couple of days later.

I recently bought a spinosad product, the Monterey Garden stuff, and I'm hoping some one can clear up some points for me.

Does spinosad only kill on contact, or can I do a foliar spray and the leaves will absorb it and it will keep working over time? if so, about how many days will it be effective for until it stops controlling aphids?

I have read that spinosad cannot be used as a soil drench because it is not systemic. Is this accurate? Do aphids lay eggs in the soil of containers? It seems like if they do a light drench might be effective for the eggs?

I have also read that neem counteracts spinosad and the two should not be used together. Does this mean I should not do a neem soil drench at the same time as a spinosad foliar spray but should wait for a certain amount of time first?

Thanks for your help.

Comment