SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
tlbp514

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in home garages

Mrs Pete
last month

Here's a topic that isn't kicked around much here:

Canada has announced that it will phase out the sale of new gasoline cars by 2035, and I think it's safe to assume that the US and other countries will make similar decisions. As such, we're all going to need EV Charging Stations in our home garages.

Whether you love or hate this, it's coming -- I'm thinking about how this will affect houses; it's a new item we're all going to need /a new expense to add to the cost of building. Some things my family discussed the other day on a car trip -- I'm interested to see if y'all are on the same page:

- Say you have a two-car garage and two cars. Would you install one Charging Station ... or a Dual Port Charging Station ... or two separate Charging Stations?

- Would an extra Charging Station (maybe on a post?) be expected in your guest parking area?

- How long does a Charging Station last? I mean, is it something you'd expect to last kinda forever, or is it like an appliance in your kitchen that will need replacing in X years?

- How do you think you can optimize your Charging Station? They're not cheap, so it's important to get this right.

Full disclosure: I do not have an electric car; in fact, I just bought a new gasoline car last year -- I'm not likely to be an early adopter. But it's a detail that new home builders should consider.

Comments (72)