GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
kathyg_in_mi

Toilets anyone?

kathyg_in_mi
7 days ago

So, this morning I was cleaning the toilet in the main bath and dang, there is a crack in the tank! Thank goodness it's on the side I can see! This is a high potty that DH installed about 10 years ago. Don't know why it cracked, don't care. I just know I have 15 people coming here next week to stay with is, kids and grands. I need a potty, fast!

Called the plumber we have used before. Thank goodness he can order and have it Wednesday. Anyway, we are going to have both toilets replaced and put a high potty in the half bath, very excited about that. Nothing worse than to have to hold onto the windowsill and door way to get off the potty!

Hopefully installed on Thursday!

Comments (27)

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    7 days ago

I like the high pottys too. Don't have one het but use when I am out.

kathyg_in_mi thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • foodonastump
    7 days ago

Agreed! And human height vanities, too. Seems the low stuff has been pretty well phased out over the past few decades. Really stands out when I come across them now, as in my mom’s house.

kathyg_in_mi thanked foodonastump
  • Related Discussions

Gerber toilets, anyone?

Q

Comments (3)
    Based on my plumber's recommendation, I have recently put in two Gerber toilets. The boxes said they are guaranteed not to clog...ever. I have only had them for 4 months but so far they are great. Around the same time I installed a Kohler (can't remember which one) and it is reviled by the men of the house. Very little water enters the bowl, so the guys really hate peeing in it. We girls don't notice. I'm not sure what the Toto's claim to fame is so I cannot compare my Gerbers, but I know my plumber loves these Gerber ones.
    ...See More

Corner Toilets - anyone used one?

Q

Comments (7)
    I've never been afraid to ask anything.... But I do wonder why Terry Love's site gets called out here so often. As far as I can tell, he's just a plumber that posted some test results of various toilets, and the last time I looked it hadn't been updated to take into account recent changes with 1.2g flush units and other recent developments. He likes Totos - I would too if I sold them because they're expensive, profitable, and OK they don't get clogged and overflow very often. But I used a cheap, new, unsung Crane toilet recently that flushed more powerfully than Toto's G-Max, and I don't see it being recommended anywhere (I have less experience with the double-cyclone design that Toto has gone to on many of their core models like the Drake, although it looks great in theory).
    ...See More

Anyone with a Happy D toilet or Toto Aquia II?

Q

Comments (2)
    trtsmb - do you happen to still have the box your toto aquia II came in? Just curious about country of manufacturing issues. Do you know where your Aquia II was made? Do you know how old your Aquia II is? The Aquia II's i just purchased and returned were made in China, as is the Aquia III I decided to keep. I hope I have good luck as you have! Poodledo
    ...See More

Anyone bought a toilet from Plumbersstock.com?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have ordered a few things (not toilets) from Plumbersstock for my husband’s business. On one of the orders I had to call in and remember the gal on the phone helped me locate some technical info the client needed on one of the pumps we installed for them. She went above and beyond
    ...See More
  • morz8
    7 days ago

We had comfort height toilets in our former house and I loved them. Here, they are elongated low slung Kohlers that match tubs and sinks in three baths. Wonderful working condition, 1955 toilets. Desert peach, sunny yellow, and dark gray. If I ever remodel those baths, they'll be white. I'm just 5'2" and like the higher seating toilets better.

kathyg_in_mi thanked morz8
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    7 days ago

I plan to have my toilets replaced in the fairly near future and plan to install pressure assisted models.

kathyg_in_mi thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

Toilets can be easily replaced without remodeling a bathroom.

We got three new ones a couple of years ago when we bought a second home, to replace the lousy builder-grade toilets that had been installed when the unit was built. New ones flush much better and have better glazing to resist stains, and use less water . New toilets are almost exciting as new cars, but I always plan and hope to spend more time sitting in a new car.

PS for you ladies- small round toilet seats can be difficult for an average or larger size male to use. The elongated ones are a better choice.

kathyg_in_mi thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • nicole___
    7 days ago

Home Depot stocks THIS Kohler toilet. $169 It's one of the BEST on the market, unless you want "features". Installing it should NOT cost more than the toilet.

kathyg_in_mi thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 days ago

When I bought the three toilets I mentioned above Nicole, which was two American Standards and one Toto, both the plumber I had used successfully on other projects and the woman in the Ferguson showroom advised me to avoid Kohler. I had asked each separately why and both said the same thing, inferior quality compared to American Standard and Toto. Maybe that's why that model is cheaper

• nicole___
    7 days ago

We throw out Toto. Ask a builder....not a salesman. :0)

• dedtired
    7 days ago

I have a Kohler comgort height. its fine except I hate the canister type innards. i’d rather have the old floating ball kind. I seriously have that canister held together with plastic zip ties so I dont have to remove the lid once a week to get it going again.

Kathy thank goodness you noticed that crack!

kathyg_in_mi thanked dedtired
  • morz8
    7 days ago

Elmer, if that was a tip for me, swapping out the color coordinated toilets for the white I'd rather have wouldn't contribute to the 1955 MCM feel of the baths. The fact that they were originally so well done is the only reason I still have them. White toilets would add nothing to the built in colors in the rooms - sinks, tubs, showers, tiled walls/floors all coordinated.

The yellow bath (the guest bath) has an unusual tub (kohler cast iron) I'd like to try to keep but don't know. It's 34" long, 14" deep. A conversation piece. Everyone remarks how its perfect for babies and puppies.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 days ago

Nicole, a plumber isn't a salesperson and whether or not a Ferguson showroom person (who sells a panoply of brands) earns commissions or not doesn't matter to me. Two pros in the business with the same opinion was compelling. Your "we throw out Totos" is fine, do as you wish, but this is your personal view and is hardly a voice of greater experience or knowledge to me than what I heard from two with I suspect much more insight and expertise than you. I can cancel our your comment by saying "we put in 5 Totos 20 years ago and love them". Is my opinion more valid than yours? No, of course not. But recent experience of experts is, to me, more useful than what either of us think.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 days ago

I should probably have added that we bought the two higher seat one piece American Standard models out of curiosity because both of the people we asked were so positive about them. We are very pleased with what we got. The Toto was for a spot under an existing banjo counter where the Am Std wouldn't fit. That counter piece may go sometime but the new Toto is also excellent. All are the elongated shape. .

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    7 days ago

We’ll have the round toilet in the 1/2 bath, as the room is so small, but switching to an elongated in the main bath.

• bpath
    7 days ago

Why in the world would the tank crack? Two in my parents'house cracked. I'm not going to replace them because they are colors and wall mount, and I know a buyer will rehab anyway. One was patched but no one in the seems to know when or who did it.

kathyg_in_mi thanked bpath
  • bragu_DSM 5
    7 days ago

kathyg_in_mi thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Marilyn_Sue
    7 days ago

Very recently I have had both of mine replaced. I had a low one downstairs and it was replaced with a high one. The one upstairs was a high one and it was replaced with a low one! The reason it was replaced with a low one, although the box said it was a taller one, was, my late husband had bought it for his business restroom. It never got used. We discovered on a Sunday late that mine was leaking and since we had this at the warehouse, we used it. I am short so now I am used to it. Both toilets take very little water to flush, love that part, even though I don't have a water bill.

Sue

kathyg_in_mi thanked Marilyn_Sue
  • Uptown Gal
    7 days ago

Kohler can't be beat...just take the time to look at what they offer and not take the first or

cheapest one you find. Elmer ..you should do a little research before slamming every

company that you don't use.

kathyg_in_mi thanked Uptown Gal
  • nicole___
    7 days ago

Elmer.....I like that YOU have opinions. ♥ We have a local plumbing company that does NOT sell Kohler or grohe(both my favorite faucet brands)....and recommends Moen faucets for instance. Tinny, cheap "junk" compared to the solid brass parts in a Kohler faucet. ALL the plumbers that use "that" supplier DO NOT recommend anything they don't stock. There are reasons unknown to you as to why your getting THIS recommendation. I'm coming from 50 years(my husbands experience, his father owned a custom home building business) and he now does commercial remodels. Where a bathroom gets used by the public...and abused! Ever heard of Bobrick? I use their soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers....and so does the commercial industry. An excellent product......the general public has never heard of. I have hands-on experience and no one supplier influencing me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERYONES OPINION COUNTS. There are a LOT of people on the forums that like Toto & American Standard....I'm just not one of them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Sure, nicole, you've said lots to agree with. Everyone's opinion counts to an extent but when those opinions are exchanged, listeners assess them, decide when someone's opinion appears to be not necessarily objective or less well informed compared to others. As with your local plumbing company or maybe too with your non-plumber husband who if he gets involved at all, is likely to install what the customer has chosen and is done with it.

No offense or slight intended but to me, someone who sells any and all toilet makes and models, and an excellent plumber who must spend a non-trivial part of his time repairing and replacing all brands of toilets, have credible, well informed, bias-free opinions gained from a mountain of personal experiences added to daily. More so (in my view) than anyone without daily, hands on working experience. I shared here what they said and what my take has been on following their advice. Nothing more. These are my experiences, not my opinions.

• marilyn_c
    5 days ago

When we were remodeling the house on the bayou, I got to visit an old mansion that had been empty for years. I had always been curious about it, and met some of the heirs at a yard sale and they offered to give me a tour. It belonged to an old dairy farmer who had hit oil on his property. It was a prime example that money doesn't buy good taste. It was brick inside and out...walls, floors, even the staircase. It had all the charm of a slaughter house. The man's wife was very obese and in her bathroom, she had the biggest toilet I have ever seen. Heighth wise. It was pink, as was the bathroom sink. I don't recall a bathtub or shower....it may have been like a half bath. I offered to buy them, but they weren't for sale, saying maybe someday someone would restore the house. (So far, they haven't.) Anyway, I really would like to find a toilet that was that tall.

kathyg_in_mi thanked marilyn_c
  • Elizabeth
    5 days ago

My family all prefers Kohler. We have had good experiences with them. In my opinion, that is the brand to buy.

kathyg_in_mi thanked Elizabeth
  • nicole___
    5 days ago
    last modified: 5 days ago

Elmer: My husband says, "Toto, Glacier Bay & American Standard are "construction grade". A plumber who builds tract homes would not be familiar with Kohler."

ie: I used to go to the gym wearing Nike & Under Armour clothing(about $36-$56 for each piece). The lady next to me, in my yoga class told me what an idiot I was to pay so much for something to sweat in....but then I was out shopping and there was a woman wearing Dolce & Gabbana sweats ($1200!). I would NEVER pay that much for something to sweat in! ha ha

It's the same thing with porcelain toilets. The high end ones, most people never come in contact with. They recommend what they know. Ya know....Dolce & Gabbana...looked pretty good....it DID look high end. It had more details in it. Kohler toilets are nicer looking........a better looking curve to the tank. A better looking side view.

• Cherryfizz
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Glad you found that crack Kathy! When my 6 foot tall sister moved in so I could take care of her 4 years ago before she died I had one of those taller toilets put in for her. I was shocked at the $650 bill for the toilet and easy installation but the toilet was better for her to use. haha I dread when I go anywhere now where they have lower toilets. So far down. I was shocked during my hospital stay their toilets were even lower than the standard toilet. Thank goodness for the bars to hold onto to get up and down off of the thing

kathyg_in_mi thanked Cherryfizz
  • morz8
    4 days ago

Hey Kathy - did your order and installation go OK? Are you pleased, and ready for your guests?

I talked to our plumber a couple of days ago and he asked if he could put me off until after the first of this coming month. It was fine. He's plumbing a new build for someone, and what I have for him is a slight leak in a drain pipe ( not pressurized pipe and under kitchen) - that he pointed out to me a few months ago, then forgot me and didn't get back to fix. That month, he'd suggested DH duct tape it. DH did that.

• kathyg_in_mi
    Original Author
    4 days ago

@morz8

Not done yet. He called to let me know that he couldn’t get them until Friday. I told him as long as they were in before Wednesday

• morz8
    4 days ago

Crossing my fingers for you that its tomorrow and not next week which would be cutting it a little close to be entertaining ;0)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler