SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Lingonberries are not easy to grow

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a lingonberry plant and put it in my perennial garden. Regular ol' sandy loam soil albeit rather thin, mixed zone 6a and 5b. Mostly sunny though not much hot afternoon sun as the house blocks that. I add compost every year. It looks awful. I'm wondering if I can even grow it anywhere in my yard. Do they need special soil and companion plant conditions? Acidic I guess. I also have a blueberry bush somewhat languishing. I'm thinking I can create a special condition bed for them, but not sure if it is worth the trouble. Anyone grow them in a home garden successfully? I read they take a while to establish but mine has ugly brown leaves and the others look chlorotic . . . I know this happens with unhappy plants that need acid soil. I don't have much yard space, wondering if I can just treat the one plant with Miracid and that alone might help . . .

Edited to add that we've had a damp summer but this garden is close to the house so it doesn't become excessively dry but I try and not over-water either. This year it has been tough since Mom Nature is doing the overwatering . . .

Comments (7)