SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krenster

Well water iron and need help with a solution

krenster
2 years ago

Hello, we built the house in 99 and we're on well water.

Iron became a problem in the water after several years (it was not at first).

The water pressure got lower, there were stains on laundry, sinks, shower walls, shower curtains, also slime in toilet tanks.

Well guy came out, tested water, told us there was too much iron and installed a Pentek iron filter. This is the model #:

Pentek 155263 RFFE20-BB 20 in. x 4-1/2 in. Iron Reduction Water Filter

He told us we'd need to change it every six months.

Within three months, stains on laundry and lower water pressure.

Guy came back - filter was massively clogged with orange.

He put a new filter in and installed a recirculating/regen system (?) after the filter - I have no idea what it's called because I am the idiot homeowner and just want the stuff to work.

Our responsibility is to change out the Pentek filter. But this simply isn't working. We installed the last filter in early April. In early July the stains reappeared, so I guess the filter needs to be changed in less than three months. The regen device does not seem to do anything to help the situation.

This Pentek filter is almost $100. And I'm not sure it's the best solution. For one thing, to rely on destroyed clothes as a warning indicator is most definitely not what I want.

The house is over 20 years old and I'd like to change some plumbing fixtures, sinks etc, that are badly corroded and stained, thanks to the iron, but I don't feel confident that we're addressing the problem successfully, so I don't want to install new stuff that gets stained. (It also annoys me no end that most of these fixtures are perfectly fine except for stains that I can't remove.)

What else can we do to ensure this doesn't keep happening? Change the filter every month? This seems ... excessive...

I'm sorry, I do not have the water test results myself. I guess we need to do this independently.

I am thinking about Culligan - or some other company that can take this off our hands, as we clearly aren't to be relied on. Is this kind of service something that folks with bad iron-in-water problems have had success with?

Comments (3)