SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_shoemaker3593880

Repurpose High Voltage 14/2 Romex wire for Low Voltage LED strips

Jay Shoemaker
2 years ago

Hello,

My kitchen currently has 3 high voltage halogen fixtures located underneath the upper cabinets. Between each fixture is a standard white jacketed 14/2 Romex wire (1 black, 1 white, 1 ground). The circuit is connected at one single box with a switch, and is ran in parallel to each fixture. I am doing a remodel and I am planning for LED undercabinet light strips.

Rather than running new wires (and ditching the old ones), I am looking to repurpose the wire for the LED lights. I will completely disconnect and REMOVE the wire from the high voltage box, ensuring that the wire is not located in ANY boxes that are high voltage. i will be left with a wire in the wall going from one spot to the next. I will have effectively isolated this entire circuit.

I plan to then run a new high voltage line from the switch box to a Dimmer Power Supply located in the basement. I will then connect the low voltage line from the DC power supply to the isolated Romex. Then the Romex will be spliced into smaller gouge wire (18/2) with shrink wrap and led to the LED Strips.

I do realize that this might cause some confusion. I anticipate some of the forum users here waving their finger at me for this. But I know for a fact this is SAFE because the wire will be completely isolated from any high voltage. I'm essentially left with just thick copper wire going exactly where I need it to go. Doing it this way will save me a lot of extra wire runs.

My simple question is whether using white jacketed Romex 14/2 for LED strip lights violates any specific codes? Has anyone else done this in their projects? It seems like it would probably be quite common for houses moving from high voltage to low voltage fixtures, is it?

Thank you,

Jay

Comments (3)