SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angel_hsu5927352

Andersen windows - any immediate alternative?

Angel
2 years ago

Hi everyone, our GC placed an order for our windows 6 weeks ago and was told they'd get here this week for our insanely-tight reno timeline (believe me, I did NOT want to do this reno, but in the insane housing market we ended up with a 2-br house and we thought we could reno for our family of 4). However, the windows are nowhere to be seen and our GC's sales rep says now Andersen is saying Aug. 1, but it still seems shaky to me.

I've been on Facebook Marketplace to see if anyone is trying to offload any windows.

We're looking for around 9 27"x46" casement windows, and 2 36"x10" fixed windows. Not having the windows delays the ENTIRE project since we can't get inspections, insulation, or dry wall installed until we have the windows. We're being kicked out of our rental with no possibility of extension on July 31, and while I'm looking for alternative housing now, I am worried about displacing our poor boys (3.5 and 1 year) after a rough year for them. We moved from Singapore back to the US in the middle of the pandemic and it's been rough for everyone, so we're just looking to get settled.

Thank you in advance for any leads on windows or any ideas of alternatives. Already checked with big box stores (Home Depot, Lowe's) and it seems they are looking at same time frames. Just don't know if we should bite the bullet or just wait on Andersen.

Comments (293)

• T T
    last year

BK, sorry to see this but thanks for sharing pics. Did you post from a local dealer or from home depot? I'm surprised the vendor delivered it like this without checking for issues first.

• BK
    last year

Yes they were purchased through home Depot and delivered via box truck with some local company. I will say the delivery guys did a great job everything was properly secured on their end. These issue were part direct from manufacturer and other aspects were in transit with the original ltl carrier. The smaller local company were the ones who noted to home Depot the damage on the two casement screens upon receiving in their possession.

• Related Discussions

Broken Andersen window pane

Q

Comments (10)
    I appreciate that information. In fact I'm sure it will save me many $$$ now and in the future. My most substantial error was in calling Andersen, whose rep told me to replace the sash (not just the pane) in order not to void the warranty. The window is their model C235, and the visible glass size of the broken pane was 19 5/8 x 31 3/8, so paying $800 to replace the sash instead of a piece of glass seems wasteful, Since Andersen puts their breakable panes on the outside instead of the interior, I can see a similar issue coming up again. A 2x4 was used in the attempted break-in. The exterior pane shattered easily, but the impact-resistant inner pane came through without any damage. Thanks again.
    ...See More

Advice on Andersen bay window (or not)

Q

Comments (7)
    From doing window installs for years, i can tell you that your husbands concerns are without merit. I happen to think high end vinyl will render better structural integrity and longevity than a wood window. Higher end vinyl is truly a great maintenance free alternative to wood without compromising quality. in fact, higher end vinyl are simply more energy efficient and air tight as well more cost effiective. Forget the low end vinyl you have seen in the large home improvement stores we are all familiar with as well as the low end vinyl you have probably seen in neighbors and friends home's. some of the high end vinyl brands are Okna, Soft Lite, Sunrise, and Kensington. this my opinion as well as many other pro's and based on years in the window industry. Wood windows just arent that efficient and they require maintenance. this is particularly true when it comes to a bay window. what state are you located in ?
    ...See More

Time to replace windows, (Milgard, Andersen, Simonton or?)

Q

Comments (21)
    We had our windows replaced a few years ago with Milgard fiberglass frames and the highest UV protection we could get (since we live in Hawaii). Yes, the UV filtering seems to be pretty good and the fiberglass frames don't warp in the heat like vinyl has a tendency to do. The house is wonderfully quiet when the windows are closed. However, I'm disappointed with the overall purchase for several reasons: The quality of the workmanship is very poor. The joints on all the windows have glue sticking out that is impossible to remove. After these few years, that glue has attracted dirt that makes the window corners look very poor. I tried GOOP and several other cleaners before I wrote to Milgard asking for hints on any ways to clean it up but never received an answer. The screens on some of the fiberglass frames are very tight and difficult to get in and out. After accidentally bending two of the screen frames, I had a local screen pro come in to build new ones and he told us that the tightness was OK for vinyl frames but should not be that tight for fiberglass. Finally, the lifetime warranty does not apply to Hawaii (and if I remember correctly - nor within 2 miles of any ocean).
    ...See More

window decision needed--new build Andersen vs. Marvin

Q

Comments (56)
    Perhaps not, but as we know we can use the best material in the world and if not engineered properly or quality control standards adhered to you can a product that is subpar in performance. Have you had any experience with the higher quality vinyl windows, ones that have higher PG ratings, better air infiltration ratings better U-Value ratings? All these would have far better numbers than the Marvin unless you want to use there numbers that are using tests that are irrelevant .
    ...See More
  • Greg Reed
    last year

Hi Everyone-This may be a bit off topic but was hoping to get some feedback. My Anderson 100 Series 8’x8’ sliding door was installed and is very difficult to slide. The builder looked at it and tried to adjust but doesn’t seemed to have helped (blaming it on the weight of the door). Has anyone else experienced this or does yours slide with minimal effort? Thank you!

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

@Grey Reed, is your builder just the GC, or did he put the door in? What in the world does "Blaming the door" help? If it is the door, then they need to tell Andersen that it's defective, and to send a replacement.

Otherwise, it's the installation. And in a lot of cases, the builder or contractor, hopes you forget about it and the whole process gets too far along to make any changes. End result - the door never works right.

I would get a level (6' or 8') and check every side for "plumb, level & square". If it's off, then it's the installation. If it's not, I would start a conversation with Andersen.

In our experience, they are very responsive.

Maybe check every door and window to see if anything else is not operating smoothly.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year
    last modified: last year

Buy a 6"( four foot will work) check level and corner to corner square with a friend for an accurate measurement - IT SHOULD BE PERFECT. Check levels and return the level same day with all cardboard you took off of it. On sliders, the base needs to be square and level also so the door runs smoothly (horizontal check) which is often overlooked if it sticks when sliding. Think in 3D not just vertical. I'm sure if the door is proven properly installed correctly an Anderson rep may help. FYI Windows - My Anderson E series was cancelled and I went with 400 series. Still, the delivery was 6 months. My GC company has written off Anderson as a source for windows due to extreme delays.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

You are correct - a 4' level will "work", but you can't properly install a door - regular or patio, using a 4 foot level. So better yet, get an 8' level to check!

Improper installation voids the warranty on doors!

• Kathryn Strum
    last year

Home depot is now telling me that Andersen has backed up my order again from May 29th to Aug 16th and now August 30th. Anyone else who has gotten a delay, how far back each time did they push? Hoping maybe 2 weeks is a good sign?

• Joyce Dacy
    last year

August 4th 2022 will mark 9, yes NINE months since my order of windows placed on

November 4th, 2021. I still have no confirmed installation date. It's just 14 windows. Crazy.

• Kathryn Strum
    last year

What kind did you get, I have 400 series black/black with some trapezoids.

• Kathryn Strum
    last year

Joyce, did you receive your windows yet and waiting for installation or is Andersen still making?

• PRO
    last year

welcome to the Anderson screw job. There are other companies with comparable windows delivering NOW

• Sn Bingham
    last year

Just an update on our situation. We placed our Anderson 100 series, black/black window order the first week of October 2021. We hadn't received them after many promises. We cancelled and placed an order with Silverline (white interior/black exterior in March) we received them in May and they are installed. They look amazing, no issues. I wanted black interior/black exterior but Anderson was the only company within our budget that offered that. Now that the Silverline's are installed (and we saved some money!) I actually like the white inside, we were going to paint them(Sherwin Williams has a window paint that our contractor suggested), but we are holding off on that! We have been impressed with the quality of the Silverline windows.

• spec
    last year

@Sn Bingham I'm glad that you found a good replacement. To be honest, I'm not impressed with Andersen 100 quality. The fixed picture windows are fine, but the single-hung windows are difficult to operate, the sash shifts around, there are various parts that keep falling off, etc. In my current house, 10 year old cheapo aluminum windows are so much better. Much more solid and easier to operate.

• millworkman
    last year

"but the single-hung windows are difficult to operate, the sash shifts around,"

While the 100 series is their basic entry level builder grade window, this sounds more like installation than product.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Installers return at completion after everything has been cleaned to install screens, adjust & repair small items and this:

"For smooth operation, window and door hardware or other moving components may need to be cleaned and lubricated. Dry lubricant spray is recommended"

Typical of most windows.

• J Sk
    last year

Have 400 series, casement. I purchased them right before pandemic. Recently noticed that in every window the arm operator is attached to the window with just one screw. On almost 30 windows 1 screw is missing. After calling Andersen I was told I need to prepare a sheet with every window number so they could send me missing screw. I think it is ridiculous.

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

@J Sk, the Andersen website if pretty well laid out and easy to use. It would probably be easier to search for your window, and then the parts list and just buy the screws you need. Not sayin' they shouldn't just send them to you - just a way to avoid the hassle.

• J Sk
    last year

@Mary Elizabeth, I called them with the request and even gave them a part number for the screw I need to send and they still insisted on filling out the form for all my windows. Just saying, not very customer friendly in my opinion. Mistake was on their side, honestly I don't know if you can call this a mistake if on every window one screw is missing and then instead of just trying to fix it they are making me to do a lot of paper work. It is not even about screw at that point but attitude.

• lucky998877
    last year

J Sk, I have 400 casements also. Are you talking about the tiny black setting screw with a pointy end? Did you personally open the hardware bags? Any chance that someone just threw them out...very easy to miss them, I almost over looked them also, as well as the clear washers.

• J Sk
    last year

@lucky998877, I would need to double check but I think it was one of those screws missing on each and every window. You would think that it would be such an easy problem to resolve just to send those screws and say sorry.... I will eventually might do the paperwork or just order screws ( but being busy with the construction and little kids I decided to put this problem to resolve for later when I have more time).

• lucky998877
    last year

What a mess to have to deal with that. I thought that it was a different screw, this is what I was talking about...sorry,no help.

• J Sk
    last year

@lucky998877, for sure it is a headache and a disappointment in customer service. I really don't understand the idea of all the paper work if this is just one screw, same one for all the windows and it is such a big deal just to send it.

• lucky998877
    last year

Ha, I went onto my balcony to get to the outside of the window the easiest way...mine also has only 1 screw! Never had a problem with any (almost 30 windows). Must be how they were made (late 2019, installed in 2020). There would be no way to add one later...at least not to mine.

• J Sk
    last year

@lucky998877, yes this is what I am talking about. I noticed when opening/closing window it is a little wobbly and of course it might since it is attached with one screw. I am worried for long term performance. And yes it is going to be a pain to place this screw, definitely will take some creative way if possible at all.

• lucky998877
    last year

@J Sk my largest casements are 6' tall...nothing wobbly. Hope you get yours resolved.

• Kathryn Strum
    last year

2 months ago I was told they were working on my trapezoid and slider doors but all were to be completed on 8-30, was told 8-30 again a week ago. NOW they are delayed by 13 windows, not the trapezoids but my picture windows and slides with no update in time and I cannot speak with anyone higher up in mgmt at Andersen and home depot is telling me others have placed similar window orders after me and have already received.

• MN HOME
    last year

I'm another one that is getting frustrated with Home Depot and Andersen Windows. I posted on 5/25/22 that I placed an order for a large Anderson A Series Picture Window. Just a simple picture window in White. Was told delivery on 8/18/22. A few weeks before the delivery day I tried to confirm the status of the window but no one would confirm or even respond. Finally on 8/16 I was told the window was on the truck and would be delivered on 8/18 as promised. Great news right? The Window never showed up - never an explanation of what happened to the "shipped" window but the consensus is that it never really shipped. The lead time is now another 3 weeks - or so I was told. Again, cannot get anyone to confirm this is an accurate new lead time - seems like the new delivery date was pulled out of air to give me something so I leave them alone for a while. Has anyone found a way to get Andersen's attention? This window is holding us back on a kitchen remodel - walls down to studs. Getting ready to hit the internet sites including a BBB complaint. Any suggestions?

• PRO
    last year

@MN HOME

Home Depot is top 30 Fortune 500, Anderson about #100. HD has your money.

If the HD Branch manager who has your money can't get you an answer, it's HD's problem.

My contact I've known decades at a little podunk window company gets me answers.

• Davis Gunner
    last year

It's a beautiful September morning. Of course you have to know that I first ordered my Anderson windows through a Anderson representative with my builder on December 8th, 2021. The answer is windows were canceled 4 months later since they told me it would be another 8 months and that would put my construction loan in default. I reordered 400 series and to those who don't know 400 series comes with an interior that is unfinished and requires a painter to either stand or poly and I want to say that moves the base cost much higher. The windows did show up in July but only some and I also had to wait until now to get the screens. This is the last time my builder or I will ever order from Anderson. There are other fish in the sea and I'm going fishing. I'm beginning several other homes. Anderson feels like they're too big to give any kind of customer service. I tried to lay the blame on covid, natural disasters, acts of God and what other lame excuse they can come up with.

• Joyce Dacy
    last year

I am just now, over 10 months waiting from my order date, 11.4.2021. No one calls me, but I surely CALL them, at this point in time, every week. Been told so many stories, I could write a book. Last weeks update is, the 2 windows that did not come in with the majority of the order, should be shipped this week......It seems to ALWAYS be, "tomorrow, in a few days, next week......". I have zero confidence, but I will keep calling EVERY WEEK, to see what NEW story they have to tell. I post-phoned my whole Spring/Summer gardening, thinking the installation would occur during this time. Just replacements, not a new home, so, I am aware, reading all of these posts, it could surely be a LOT worse. Hanging in there and good luck to you all. : )

• MN HOME
    last year

I'm finding the same thing - no one calls or responds to any inquiries at Home Depot on this. And Andersen tells you to contact Home Depot - kind of a joke. So I finally contacted HD corporate, spent a good amount of time getting transferred, and hold - they created a case for me. Next thing I knew, the Window came in - no idea if my case had anything to do with it. I went in to inspect the Window today - the box looked excellent. Pulled out about 3/4 of the window and inspected. The interior is primed white, but noticed a long line along the top rail - my fingernail catches it when I run it across it so it has some depth. I asked if it was some kind of crack - the Home Depot rep thought it was simply a paint line? But in the same corner there are gaps where the trim meets.

Desperate for this window - would this be acceptable? Thoughts?

• millworkman
    last year

The top pic is where the vinyl jamb liner meets the vinyl head cover (balance boxes are underneath that). It is perfectly normal that they do not meet exactly tight. The lower pic is purely in the primer, why I cannot tell, but just sand it lightly before it is painted and it will be fine. Neither issue is anything to be alarmed about or any sort if issue.

• PRO
    last year

12 weeks as of Sept 9 2022 for Anderson 100 black/black according to my trusted window guy of 25+ years

If yours have been MIA longer than that, would look to your vendor to cure.

• MN HOME
    last year

Millworkman, this is not a vinyl window interior, it's pine with primer. Also, I should have mentioned this is a picture window - no balances or mechanicals.

At minimum it would require a good amount of caulking before paint. I think what concerns me is the long irregular line across the top rail (again, my fingernail catches it, so it has some depth) and in addition the misaligned wood with poor fit and gaps in the same corner. Adding this up together, I'm concerned it took some kind of impact - cracked the rail and pushed the trim pieces out of alignment.

There is more to this story. The window was ordered in May and due on 8/18 - I was told it was actually loaded on a truck for delivery on 8/16. But it never showed up and no one was able to explain what happened to it (I asked several times). The new delivery date was 9-8, and this picture was taken when it arrived for inspection. Oddly, there is a sticker on the window with a date of 8-15-22 which matches the original delivery date where it went missing. I suspect it was damaged, sent back to Andersen, repaired and redelivered on 9/8. Guesswork based on evidence.... :) Makes me kind of nervous to accept this. I did ask for an evaluation of the window from Home Depot, but I would welcome an outside opinion from experienced members of this forum.

• millworkman
    last year

"but I would welcome an outside opinion from experienced members of this forum."

Then show us the entire window. Are all 4 interior corners the same? How is the exterior? Is that the only location with primer issues? Maybe it went on the wrong truck, had to be returned to the factory and reshipped.

• MN HOME
    last year

Millworkman, It was in a cardboard box, and the box looked good. We pulled the window 3/4 out the box and quickly inspected. I immediately noticed this section - took pictures so I could look at it a little closer later. The exterior looked good, no issues I can remember. Don't remember anything about the bottom, but this was a quick inspection. Again, we only pulled about 3/4 out of the box, so the other end of the window was not inspected.

• Rachel Bernhardt
    9 months ago

Im in an anderson window nightmare myself. So we are doing a major remodel for my 84 year old mother...ordered windows and slider doors on January24, 2023. Paid $11k and bought them through home depot. We had to wait till June 26 to get confirmation of delivery of the windows (they kept saying they were backordered.) They ended up splitting up the order as we await for the two slider doors. Supposed to be delivered tyoday? NOPE. It is July 20 and home depot rep calls my husband (who is a contractor) and tells him "Anderson said they have manufaturing problems." For six months?? I know what is going on here is they are throwing our order to the side...and my poor mother can not move into her house. :-(

• Mary Elizabeth
    9 months ago

@Rachel Bernhardt, I'm sorry you're dealing with this - so frustrating!!

We're in the middle of getting bids for the removal and installation of 8 windows, and are planning to use Andersens. The quote from our local lumber yard (NOT Home Depot) said the wait time would be about 30 days - and this was just a couple of weeks ago.

Are you able to contact Andersen directly?

• PRO
    9 months ago

I found alternative sources for quality windows and my builder no longer orders Anderson. He has a schedule to meet and window delays costs him money.. He averages 1500 windows a year.. LOSS to Anderson from just one builder.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    9 months ago

We use Andersen with many of our clients, mostly 100 Series and E-Series. In our experience Andersen is responsive and their lead times have improved significantly. At one point during the pandemic we had one client who had ordered 50+ E-Series windows & doors for their home and the lead time was about a year. Things were definitely crazy but don't think we experienced the type of quality problems many people in this thread are describing. Currently manufacturing lead times are about 3-5 weeks for 100 Series and the longest lead time is for E-Series doors, about 18 weeks. You'll also have to give some time for transit to your retailer/dealer and if they are installing add time in the installation queue.

@Rachel Bernhardt It sounds like something definitely went wrong. I wonder if these issues are affecting Home Depot customers more than others. We're an Andersen dealer and I haven't heard of any backorder issues in about a year. Then again our orders probably aren't as large as any given HD and we place our orders as they come in. I imagine HD may have a different process. Andersen's lead times on 100 Series windows and doors is currently about 3-5 weeks (excluding transit).

@Mary Elizabeth those 30 days sound about reasonable for manufacturing/transit. We're a window dealer/contractor so we do the installations for most of our clients and currently aim for 2-3 months to complete a project. Lead time includes order processing, manufacturing, transit, and installation queue. Sometimes it can be done quicker but we're not quite back to pre-pandemic lead times.

• PRO
    9 months ago

Check in with Anderson directly.

• Rachel Bernhardt
    9 months ago

They will tell us to go through HD. I do have the store manager now getting involved and I have made contact to corporate office.

• Rachel Bernhardt
    9 months ago

@Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor and hello to you from my now home in wisconsin...my mom (and myself) are from Carmichael.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    9 months ago

Many, if not most, of the issues with purchasing through a box store, is that you are purchasing through a box store. You rarely get experts in the field working there. The person staffing the desk could have sold light bulbs the week before. Even if they figured out the quoting system, there is still the ordering system that has to interface with the manufacturer electronically. If you don't know how to do that, the order never gets into the manufacturer's production que. That has happened way more times that you want to know for special order merchandise! Something with a 30 day lead time turned into 7 months, becuase the original order was never transmitted properly. And no one looked deep into the details. They just saw it as "on order", and that was that.

• Elliott Brown
    9 months ago

What color did you order? We waited a year for black on black 100 series casement.

• Rachel Bernhardt
    9 months ago

We ordered black exterior white interior. We did our purchase through pro services at HD since we have a commercial revolving account (my husband is a contractor.) The district manager did call me today and has gotten through to VP of merchant sales at Anderson which she will get an exact date for delivery and find out what happened.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    9 months ago

That's great! Thanks for sharing @Rachel Bernhardt! We're definitely curious about what caused the delay. Hopefully they're able to provide a solution quickly!

• T T
    9 months ago

Rachel, it seems that something must have gone wrong with your order processing.  As a comparison, Andersen 100's with dark bronze exterior, white interior, ordered in Dec 2022, took less than 12 weeks to be delivered.  Our local dealer also had great pricing (more than 30% lower than Home Depot's website pricing).   I hope your order gets resolved soon.

• Elliott Brown
    9 months ago

I have VP of customer relations from Andersen phone number and email if anyone needs it;)

• Bryan Casey
    9 months ago

We ordered 20 E-Series Windows and 4 Doors in November 2022 through Home Depot and were quoted a delivery window of 12-18 weeks, putting expected delivery in Feb/Mar 2023. It is now almost August 2023 and Andersen can't give us any expected timeline and only says "there is a national backorder on required materials. We have no estimates to when the materials will be back in stock."

Today they offered to fully refund the order since they can't provide an estimate, but that just means we have to start all over again with bids if we decide to go through with the refund.