SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Am I Crazy? Bathroom wallpaper.

Kendrah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are about to paint our master bath, but I just fell in love with this Scalamandre Raphael wallpaper. Am I crazy to wallpaper a bathroom?

The wall tiles are high so I'm not concerned about water splashing from the sink. And we would not wallpaper the ceiling or the area around the shower. This is our primary bath though, and we will be showering here daily. It has no exhaust fan (co-op won't allow) so we will be opening a small window each time we shower. Am I asking for trouble wallpapering in here?

I wish they made this as a fabric and I would just use it as a shower curtain instead! We will be replacing the light mirror for something more traditional, and perhaps eventually the sink. Our apartment is in NYC and I love the idea of softening this room to make it feel like a dreamy escape.

Our bathroom - see how high the tile goes

Wallpaper I'm smitten with

Examples of this in baths.

Comments (35)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

My bath is wallpapered. It isn't a problem; do what makes you feel good in the bath.

• grapefruit1_ar
    2 years ago

It is beautiful! Our bathrooms were wallpapered for many years, all without issue.

• Related Discussions

Bathroom Tile Design - I am going crazy

Q

Comments (2)
    A picture would be super helpful. But, one of your questions: "would it look funny if the two other walls weren't tiled". No it wouldn't necessarily look funny. I've seen this done before but it depends on the space and the execution.
    ...See More

is my 6' x 11' bathroom idea crazy?

Q

Comments (8)
    Our current bath is 6x10 and it holds a 42" vanity, toilet and 3x6 shower. We are expanding it to 6x13 so we can have a 6' vanity with 2 sinks, as well as a wall with pocket door separating the toilet and shower space from the vanity. With 6x11, I would have along 1 long wall as you enter the room first a 42" vanity, then an 18" linen tower, then 3' for the toilet, then a 3x6 shower against the short wall at the far end. It would also work with a 3' vanity and 2' linen tower, or 4' vanity, no linen cabinet and 4x6 shower, etc. Is this configuration, the door into the bathroom can be on the short wall next to the vanity and opposite the shower, or on the 2nd long wall opposite the vanity.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity solution - is this a crazy idea?

Q

Comments (11)
    We very rarely have to access the attic and moving the dresser won't be a huge deal the once or twice a year we do. For now, we will put the cabinet that was over the toilet back up. There is nothing special about it, but nothing wrong with it either. I told her to start thinking of paint ideas. She painted her desk a couple of years ago with a really cool harlequin design. Maybe she will paint the cabinet too. Now that we have lightened the paint color she needs a little color in there.
    ...See More

How to minimize pink in a crazy big bathroom?

Q

Comments (128)
    HU, I noted that the brown color in the doors and door frames tends to soften or tone down the pink. You may want to paint all the cabinets and wood trim that color. Put the same color of wood on the tub facing. Paint the walls a complimentary soft creamy white and frost the shower door. Tada!
    ...See More
  • Memphis Forrest
    2 years ago

yes. Go ahead if this is your forever home and it'll make you happy. But know it is the opposite of a selling point if you want to sell in a few years.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, this will be our forever home. I'm not concerned about resale. My biggest concern is about humidity and how wallpaper reacts to that much dampness. @grapefruit and @deco, do you have vents/fans in your wallpapered bathrooms? Are they where shower daily? Thanks for sharing!

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

If you don't have an exhaust fan, it will get damp. The wallpaper may peel or get moldy sooner rather than later. In short, use the wallpaper elsewhere, not here.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks apple pie. I appreciate your reality check as always.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I had wallpaper in bath with no exhaust and showered daily. No problem.

• JP L
    2 years ago

When you shower in your bath now (with the window open), does moisture accumulate on the walls or ceiling? If it does, and you do nothing to add ventilation, you'll still have this issue post remodel (regardless of if you paint or wallpaper). Only chiming in because I've seen many a bathroom paint job look terrible shortly post remodel because of condensation streaks. I can only imagine the damage to wallpaper.

That said, I see the temptation. That wallpaper is lovely.

• PRO
    4Heidesign
    2 years ago

I had wallpaper in all my former house's four bathrooms, which I hung myself, and it all looked lovely and I never had a problem with peeling or mold. I did change it out a couple times, yet the paper was there for over 30 years. Each bath did have a light/vent.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

TRUST ME... Papering a bathroom is gorgeous, but I will never do it again in a room where the shower is used once per day or more. The best fans jsut do not mitigate the moisture that will curl your paper. I would only do it in dry bathrooms guest baths or half baths, and even then ONLY if you're committed to the effort it takes to clean it off later. Some people apparently have had better luck, but I just wouldn't do it again.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I have wallpaper in my bathroom - it's actually hand painted silk and have had no issues with it after three years. It still looks as good as the day it was hung.

I am not sure how people's bathrooms are so damp as to cause such major issues. If they are that damp, don't you also develop mold and mildew? I have a very good fan which turns itself on and off based on ambient temperatures and I don't have lingering moisture. Also I don't keep the bathroom door shut so any lingering moisture would get dissipated pretty quickly throughout the room and the house.

• colonel115
    2 years ago

Love the paper. Go for it!

• AJCN
    2 years ago

If you decide that you can't have it because of no exhaust fan, you could pick a color from the wallpaper and that becomes your wall color in paint. The light gray-green color in there is really pretty.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Come to think of it, in my case it could be a combination of the room being on the small side and having a teen who was a bit abusive with long showers, LOL. We have timers on the fans, but she was not good at using it. We have since upgraded the fans in all our bathrooms and have timers on all of them, but in small rooms the humidity still affects the room - even if briefly, so I still won't paper those.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Where do people live who have peeling and mold on bathroom wallpaper?

It’s never been a problem for us here in humid Florida, where showers run long and hot. Maybe because the AC circulates the air quickly?

Love that wallpaper, you shouldn’t have any problems with it if its installed correctly.

• jjam
    2 years ago

I love wallpaper but won't put it in a bathroom with a shower again. Steamers are used to remove wallpaper, and a shower generates a lot of steam, so it's not surprising that the paper will eventually be affected. Over time, the edges start to loosen; at least that's what happened in our bathroom, and I ended up removing it and having the walls skim coated.

It's lovely paper though...maybe find another spot for it??

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"When you shower in your bath now (with the window open), does moisture accumulate on the walls or ceiling?" This is a great question. We are having our apartment renovated and will move in in three weeks. There are so many contradictory experiences here. I'm thinking it is best for me to put on the breaks, live there for a while, and guage how much moisture we have in our bathroom.

Our building does not have central air and there will be no AC or fan in the bathroom. I can imagine that making for humid, damp NYC summer bathroom experience.

I'm surprised by how many people are new to ideas of moisture and humdity in a bathroom. Maybe I have only ever lived in really damp places - historic buildings with no central air too. Issues of towels taking a long time to dry out and smelling musty are unfortunately not new to me. I'll guage from the towel drying how well we'd do with wallpaper. Who knows in the meanwile maybe I'll find a less expensive and labor intensive decor solution to add some character to the space.

• Helen
    2 years ago

FWIW I grew up in New York City with no central air conditioning. The bathroom didn't have a fan or vent - it had a window which generally wasn't wide open and there were no problems or mold or mildew.

There was wallpaper on the walls as I grew up in an era when people didn't "remodel" bathrooms or kitchens unless they were beyond repair so my mother would have my father wallpaper kitchen and bathroom walls to suit whatever the trend was at that time.

But there is no reason to rush into having your bath wallpapered. It was months after moving back after my remodel that I actually had paper on the walls since the wallpaper took quite a bit of time to arrive as it was custom. And we had held off deciding until I had lived in the space for awhile and determined what I wanted to do with the walls that weren't tiled or mirrored :-). FWIW a large mirror in a small bathroom really does a lot to add light and visual space.

• Sarah R
    2 years ago

I agree that the paper is lovely... in fact, thanks to the previous owners of our house, we have it in blue. As much as I like the look, I would not paper a bathroom again. The paper has not held up (it was installed 6 years ago). This is partly because we only have 1 bathroom in our house so it gets lots of traffic. We also know there are water issues with the shower (working on doing full reno)... which the paper makes very obvious. For the reno, I considered doing more tile and papering the rest, like what you're suggesting, but ultimately decided that it's not worth risking wear and tear. Painting is a lot easier!

• Abby Mac
    2 years ago

Humidity probably won't be a problem. We had wallpaper in our bathroom in our first house when we bought it - I thought it would be easy to take down. Nope. Bit by little bit.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Helen ,I agree that a big, beautiful mirror can do wonders for a bathroom. However, the electrical receptical for the light is so very low that it really limits the size we can put there. We are doing so much other work that seems to be taking forever, I just didn't have it in me to rip up the bathroom walls to move this fixture higher. It is in the original location from when the building was built in 1938 and people had small mirrored medicine cabinets with one light over them.

I enjoyed hearing about your experience growing up in NYC. Yes, my family also re-wallpapered. Tearing down walls or adding new bathrooms or kitchens was unheard of.

@Sarah, I can't believe you have the same paper in your place. Yes, it certainly seems like it isn't doing well in there. Which reminds me, being in an apartment building, I have a neighbor upstairs, who if not careful, could cause leaks into our unit. This happened in our last apartment building. Fingers crossed, not here.

Again, I do wish they made this as a fabric!

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

In the minority here, but I really love your bathroom in the first photo and would be in no hurry to add wallpaper. Your before pic looks like an after.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Lovely wall paper❣️ Go ahead and get it❣️Please post pictures after installation. Your bathroom is nice and classic❣️

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I love your bathroom as is. It could be pretty with your wallpaper choice too.

All three baths in this house are papered above tile, but all three have fans. Two of the three have little mighty mouse fans that were original to the house. Very small, efficient, absolute workhorses. The wallpaper in those two baths is original too. There was a corner or two beginning to turn and one loose seam, so I bought some wallpaper repair glue, fixed them, my repairs show not at all. 1955 wallpaper ;0) Yes, a little dated but it was so well done originally I haven't been able to bring myself to replace.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I like wallpaper and have it in both bathrooms. I put it in when we moved into this house 21 years ago. The paper in my bathroom needs replacing, but 21 years is a long time.

The key to GOOD wallpaper is primer underneath. If you prime first, your wallpaper will go up better /look better ... and when you want to take it down, it'll pull down easily.

Seriously, when I moved into this house, I spent 15 minutes pulling down the original wallpaper in my master bath. I spent three days doing the same in the hall bath. Because we bought this house from a relative, I know the difference was PRIMER. You better bet I primed the walls before I put up my own wallpaper choices.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Re: fabric Can you reach out to the manufacturer and see if they can do it as fabric for you? it's really easy to convert any art into fabric. Spoonflower does it but you have to have the rights to the image. Maybe the wallpaper manufacturer offers this option.

• Steph H
    2 years ago

We had wallpaper in a kids’ bathroom (in our previous home). We never had any big issues or problems- and it brought me joy.

• OhNat
    2 years ago

When you move in, try using a dehumidifier. There are some sleek looking models on the market now. Might make your wallpaper a possibility.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Steph, the dinosaur wallpaper is so wonderful. I love it.

Will check out small dehumidifiers. Could help towels dry faster too if that is an issue.

I've forgotten about Spoonflower. Nice to remember. This is an expensive, commonly used wallpaper and I'm sure they would not make it into fabric for me or give me the rights. But perhaps there is something else I could have made on spoonflower that I would like.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I would imagine the quality of the paper, the hanging process makes a huge difference. My experience puts me in the camp with 'paper in a bathroom is counter indicated'. My experience is based on DIY papering...and the lack of longevity is not worth the effort.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

You are talking about a Scalamandre wallpaper. I doubt you will have a problem with it if you choose a quality paper hanger. Are you sure they don't have a companion fabric with this? The pattern looks familiar to me. (I used to be a home furnishings textile designer)

• JP L
    2 years ago

Another random alternative to consider: find a stencil pattern that appeals to you and apply that to the walls in the bathroom: https://www.royaldesignstudio.com/collections/stencils or https://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/wallpaper-stencils-wall-stencils-patterns-wall-painting-designs.html

I'd have to hire this out to achieve a decent result myself, but could be worth a look!

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cpartist - I too am surprised that Scalamandre doesn't make this in a fabric. I have looked online but not been able to find it. Now I'm curious if being a textile designer is as much fun as it sounds.

JP L - My friend just did a beautiful stencil in her bathroom. No way would I ever be that neat or patient.

• modpod
    2 years ago

There are also papers specifically made for bathrooms. Check with your dealer