SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allibump

replace travertine with wood?

allibump
2 years ago

I would like to replace travertine with wood for a refresh but am overwhelmed with the idea of it. The travertine was installed over the original layer of ceramic tile. We would have to remove two layers of tile from around the kitchen cabinets, not to mention across the entire main floor of our house. I would also replace the carpet in living/dining with wood. The other option is to leave the tile and refresh the walls with a new coat of paint and replace the carpet in living/dining area. The laundry room cabinets are being replaced along with cabinets in two bathrooms as well. The travertine flows through these rooms. My main fear is damage to the kitchen cabinetry (even though my contractor promises to protect). We would have to pry the baseboards from the kitchen island and move them down to compensate for going from two layers of tile to one layer of wood. Is the overall headache worth the time and expense? I’ve almost convinced myself to leave well enough alone. Looking for a sanity check.

(I know many love the look of travertine and I agree that it is a beautiful natural stone. However, the tile installed in my house was by the previous owners and it isn’t necessarily what I would have chosen for myself.)

Comments (7)