SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_492140245

My white on white on white bathroom is screaming for color! HELP!

M R
2 years ago

Pictured above is my ALL white bathroom. Please ignore the dirty floors, this is right before I cleaned. I need help adding some personality. I am not at all tied to the rug or the stool. I don’t think either work really. The large blank wall- what to put there? I had a ladder style towel holder and didn’t love it. Artwork? Towel bar? Something else? The vanity area- an accent wall of some sort? Mirrors are not hung, attaching a photo of what I have. I have chrome hardware for the vanity as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments (44)

• weedyacres
    2 years ago

Paint! I'd go with something green or blue. You can go anything from muted (soft apple green) to bold (turquoise) depending on your mood.

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would find a funky art deco shower curtain in black and red on a white background. then I would play up the red abd black with a rug and/or other accessories. i would paint the walls a soft gray.

• Related Discussions

white floor tile for white bathroom

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you very much for responses. I would love to check out all leads possible. It is amazing how little of white floor tiles stores carry around. I grew up in the house which had similar tile as on Bill's checkered floor and that house was 100+ years. Tile was in excellent shape and easy to maintain. Annie, thank you for letting me know about Powdered Sugar tile. I was thinking about mixing it up with Satin Sheets. But my fixtures are all white with grey pigment so putting tiles with warm yellow undertones is not an option. I did found couple of stores that carry Crossville tile and am going there to check it out. Annkathryn I love how nicely you placed tile with small accents. Works wonders and looks cute and charming. Is it easy to clean? I am somewhat worried that every speck will be showing on such tile. I am sure this forum seen plenty of people agonizing over their tile/paint/ fixtures... fill the blank/ choices... am feeling that floor tile is going to pull my design together ...so pressure is on...;)
    ...See More

White bathroom fixtures with off white trim and cabinets?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, they will look fine in white. The linen white isn't super cream, it's just a warm off white so white toilet, tub and sinks will look lovely with it.
    ...See More

I need help with picking a white for my bathroom.

Q

Comments (4)
    I have SW ivory lace trim in our mbath... I chose it because it looked nice with the tile we have, but it looks fine with our white kohler sinks and the toilet. it is a warm white without being too yellow. our cabinets are a med-dark brown and the tile has some grays/greige and white colors in it.
    ...See More

Paint color for my white marble MINI guest bathroom!

Q

Comments (1)
    I was hoping someone commented on this, but I can see they didn't. We are having a similar issue, what did you end up doing?
    ...See More
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I love all white bathrooms! Blank canvases. The warm-toned stool looks a shade or two too dark to work, imo. (On my screen, at least.) Go with something lighter or much darker. The rug offers a lot more contrast so looks more purposeful. I think art on the large blank wall would make sense but choose something that fits your taste and style. My pet peeve is clear glass light shades. I find metal or opaque glass easier to maintain in my house. Figure out your towel bar or hook placement, hang your mirrors, add your cabinet hardware, fill your linen cupboard and then see what's missing, colour and/or texture-wise. Will you need window treatments? Decor is what gives a room personality and that comes in a plethora of options. Colour does not necessarily equal personality. If it helps any, here are Barbara Sallick's 17 tips for all white bathrooms.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I would do SW Sea Salt.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I'd paint the walls -

Personally I like drama so I would do a navy blue or rich sage green.

But if you want to stay light, then something just enough off white white that you can tell it's a different color.

Good luck ...

• jck910
    2 years ago

I went the all white bathroom route 30 years ago. Eventually I got tired of it. So painted BM Muslin.

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

Pick an accent color that is used in adjacent rooms. Towels, rugs, perhaps art for the walls will help.

• kariyava
    2 years ago

I agree with the others who say some color on the walls could look lovely. You have a lot of options from soft to bold -- here are a couple inspo pictures:

Wellborn Cabinet Premier Series · More Info

Buttoned Up Bathroom · More Info

• User
    2 years ago

I would paint in a color you like (I also think blue would look nice in here, although many different colors would work), find a shower curtain that complements your paint color, add some natural elements (perhaps a plant on top of the cabinet by the window and something wood for some warmth), and a piece of humidity-friendly artwork on the wall at the far end.

• printesa
    2 years ago

You could paint a soft color like blue or green or any other color you prefer. You could also bring color through accents and plants

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

Master Bathroom · More Info

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Your bathroom is lovely❣️Add some colorful towels for a quick fix❣️

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

How fabulous you will have a lifetime of options for towel/accessory colors!! I requested white on white on white but at the last minute DH just has to add a band of decorative tile to the shower...grrrr Now I am STUCK to THAT color scheme. I waited 20 years to get rid of the avocado green and he falls back on BROWN!! Congratulations!!

• M R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the input! Having a hard time deciding anything in here.

• Tara
    2 years ago

If you like the white, all you need to do is add colorful accessories. Bold color towels and soap dishes and containers for your other necessities. A vase with colorful flowers. Artwork on the walls. A colorful shower curtain. And consider black hardware.

Berner · More Info

• Tara
    2 years ago

Classically Modern · More Info

What's Black, White and Red All Over? · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I'd paint the little white cabinet in the corner and top it w/a nice green plant or orchid.

you could do any blue, green, black, yellow, literally whatever color you want.

you need some art on that large wall.

you could do wallpaper. or even wallpaper behind that vanity. it's really plain over on that wall.

Or, just do a giant piece of art on the big wall

Something big, with color. if you go that route, you could do a soft muted gray on your walls.

or do a smokey soft blue

and this color art.

you've got art, towels, plants, (paint the cabinet) do a teak stool, maybe a tall plant, a few wood shelves. that should be all you need.

you could do white wainscot, soft green upper, planked ceiling

bring in more boho w/rug, try some black elements like shown here. you have plenty of light in there

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I would paint the walls a very soft, whispery green. I love the second to last one Beth posted. Watery blues and greens always work in a bathroom. Then find a rug and some towels to complement. You have a great base to start with since it’s all white. Like a Little Black Dress it needs some jewelry.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

whatever you preferred color is, I think you could add some real interest to the space by adding drapery panels to the window. Keep the walls white and add your color there. Choose a fabric that also comes in a wallpaper and wallpaper the vanity wall and install your mirrors. I do think adding a glass enclosure to your shower will really open up the space.

A chandelier over the tub would add texture. Depending on the color you go for IF and only IF its in blues I would also paint the ceiling the faintest shade of blue.

• M R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for all the detailed input! it gives me a lot to think about. I do love blues. And wow @Design Interior South I never considered drapes. So interesting! My hesitation is they might touch the toilet and I wouldn’t want that but they look stunning in those photos. I might measure and see.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Glamorous drapes behind the tub would be stunning. The yellow fabric in the photo from Design Interior South just makes that bathroom look amazing!

• Donald
    2 years ago

You’ve got something plugged into an electrical outlet and the cord is running directly into the sink. Why? But with colors, you could go so many ways…I’d keep it all white though and let the little things you add in add the color. But it looks like a good space for a few plants.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

As others have said, paint will go a long way. Instead of curtain panels, how about a flat Roman shade?

I like the rug by the shower. Use another skinny runner at vanity (but not too close to commode).

A decorative framed mirror for color, pattern and/or texture. In the past, I had mirrors made at my local framing store.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Great suggestions here so nothing to add, just want to say, WOW, what a view. Beautiful bath too.

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    2 years ago

Why not try adding an accent color, some decor accessories with color, a plant or two, and maybe some artwork. Here is a bathroom design of ours below that just might help.

Contemporary Kitchen & Bath · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen & Bath · More Info

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Colored glass pendants like @Randy Trainor posted would add a quick, elegant punch of color. Then you can use the rest of the colors in the lighting to make more decisions.

• M R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m starting to put all my ideas together and I think this is the direction I’m headed for the bathroom. I appreciate all the input and I’m excited to bring some warmth to our bathroom. Planning on using sea salt as an accent color behind vanities.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I like your ideas and think they will add a lot to your white bathroom.

However, just note that it's against electrical code to place a chandelier above a tub unless the bottom of the fixture is at least 8 feet above the rim of the tub.

• TMac
    2 years ago

I really like that rug OP. Where is it from? It will add a lot of character.

• mvcanada
    2 years ago

The picture posted above by Design Interior South with yellow patterned drapes and yellow claw foot tub, the designer is Sarah Richardson. Here is a link to a pinterest page for her farmhouse makeover where that bath is featured. You can also check out her website here.

You might want to browse through her work for more ideas. I agree with many of the suggestions above. Pale greens and blues would look fabulous as well as some wood accents. If those ideas appeal to you then you'll appreciate Sarah Richardson's portfolio.

She has a youtube channel and several series on HGTV in Canada.

• M R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@TMac its from joss and main.

I will defintely have a look! @mvcanada thank you!

and no, no chandelier. we already had that debate while building and decided the size of our bath didn’t really support one.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Sea Salt is a gorgeous color for your bathroom.

• printesa
    2 years ago

It's beautiful! You did an amazing job!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

If it's brand new, you may not want to do this, but you can paint the base of the tub.

• cambella
    2 years ago

How about not painting anything and just putting up loads of painting and photos (obviously one's that don't mind stream) - almost everything looks great on a white background especially if the frames are coloured. You could really go for it and make an eclectic yet sleak/clean white bathroom. Just an idea....little blast of colour everywhere, all different sized works.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Looks great. Don't due a single thing more other than relax in that tub and watch the leaves change color.

• cambella
    2 years ago

Apologies - didn't see the photos above - yes looks fab! Well done! Looks very peaceful indeed

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

It looks great! So much better; lighter and brighter. Nice choice of runner.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

beautiful! the only thing I would add are some hanging plants in the corner, maybe a few potted orchids.

• M R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes i did think of that! I just wondered if they would get enough light in the corner?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Love the rug and the shades--they really add contrast and texture. Enjoy your bathroom!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Gorgeous!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Lovely. Well done!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

You can use their search feature to find "low light" plants. https://www.groovyplantsranch.com/collections/low-light