SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_140384892

Dying lemon tree bought week ago

Alex HK
2 years ago

Hello,

I had a very (suspiciously ?) good deal last saturday for a 2 feet tall, 2 feet wide, fruit bearing lemon tree. The salesperson told me to put the tree outside and water everyday. I live in Hong Kong and it's the summer now, peak temperature in the sun can reach 35°C (95°F), usually between 85 to 95, and the humidity is 85+%

I left the tree outside were it get direct sunlight during noon for 2 hours, and indirect sunlight the rest of the time and watered about half liter everyday. After 3 days the leaves were starting to curl like a cigar, outside in, and looked dry. Fearing the tree was getting burned in the sun, i took it to a more shaded area and watered it again abundantly (about 2 liters, water coming out the bottom holes).

A few days later, it was getting worse, with the leaves still green and not falling, but curling more tightly and looking more dry. Hoping the rehydrate the plant from the bottom i left the pot sitting in a few inches of water for a while.

A few days later a friend told me it was suffering from overwatering. I stopped watering it, and repotted the plant a little later hoping to save the roots and remove as much of the damp soil as possible.

The root ball is small (smaller than I would expect for a little tree), and the soil is very heavy and dense, like clay, and damp. Please check the pictures (colors are more bright than reality).

I went back to the shop yesterday looking for advice, the owner was very defensive, accusing me of not caring for the plant properly (changing pot and soil, putting it in the shade with not enough water).

To sum up, new tree bought in what looked like a healthy condition, left it in the sun for 3 days with moderate (?) water, in the shade 3 days with a lot of water, repotted and haven't watered since. Pictures are just taken now.

I'm thinking my friend was correct and I did overwater the tree, considering the dark roots, and very damp and dense soil (still damp after a few days of no water). However the leaves did not turn yellow, and did not fall, fruits are still attached.

Is there still hope to bring back the tree ? What should I do ? What do you think caused this?

Comments (17)