SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_660783191

Desperate for Help: Design Dilemma!

Ashley K
2 years ago

I'm new to this forum and am totally desperate about how to organize the layout of the home we just moved into. I'm not even sure if the furniture we currently own will work in the space. I'll begin by breaking down a few of the problems I'm running into. First off, the fireplace is at an angle. I'm not sure how to orient the TV so that it doesn't compete with the fireplace. Therefore, I'm unsure about where to put the couch. Our formal dining room and living room are connected in a way by this large "cut out" in the wall. Initially before living in the space we had thought that we would close up that cut out and further close up the dining space because we already have a large table in the other dining space and we don't entertain often. We were planning on using it as a guest space/toy area/second tv area BUT upon moving in we realized there is very little natural light in this home. There are several windows in the formal dining room and I just don't think we can sacrifice the natural light. We have somewhat abandoned that idea, although sealing up that cut out may still be option. We had placed the TV on the far wall but our couches (the way the chaise or long part is oriented) just weren't looking right. The long part was on the side toward the fireplace and so it just looked "off" jetting out toward the fireplace. How we arranged it now was to place the TV in the cut out just to see how it would look in the event that we sealed up that cut out and then mounted it to the wall. It just feels impossible to have a design that facilitates having a conversation when guests are over AND having it be comfortable when we are watching TV. I also am dumbfounded when it comes to paint colors. We painted it Revere Pewter in 50% saturation and it just seems SO dark. Lesson learned about painting before you fully understand the space. Any help would be much appreciated I'm COMPLETLEY lost!!!!

Comments (32)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 years ago

In my opinion, here are several ways to address the darkness. 1. What a poster said already - paint the walls a lighter color. Look at this video to figure out a color. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KDnuPfuro0&t=12s Keep in mind that your ceiling, furniture, and floors are also colors and need to be considered. I highly recommend this video. Nick Lewis - How to choose a white paint. He knows what he's talking about. 2. Look at the reflective surfaces and opportunities in your space. I'm not saying put mirrors all over!!! Review your room and see where you might want to some mirrors. What the mirror reflects is crucial. Another option is glass - I had custom glass pieces made for the tops of my living room side tables. It doesn't do a lot for letting the light bounce around, but it certainly improves it. You may want to do that with mirrors if it's not to much. 3. If you're going to paint the ceiling, consider putting a very small amount of irridescent quality in the paint. The ideal is high gloss, but that will not go with your style! 4. Take lighting seriously. It sometimes is an afterthought in interior design. Make sure you light this room properly and well. At the very minimum, put a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest level. My living room is dark also. I have to put lights on even on a very sunny day. Additional comments I would like to make: A. Take advantage of your vertical space (get some art on these walls)! However, do not rush that. Wait to get peices you love. Wall art not only reflects your personality, but also is a conversation starter for guests. B. One can never have enough storage. Make sure to plan for that. Measure twice, but once. C. If you don't know your interior design style, put in top search box a few design types (one at a time). Examples include: casual, transitional, French Provincial. Add "in photos". Look at the pictures and note what you like and don't like.

• Related Discussions

h.e.l.p. ... Desperately Seeking Dining Room Design Advice!

Q

Comments (36)
    Rug a bit complicated, I'd think dining set should be more the same [finishes of, etc..] e.g., maybe the table could stay dark but all else the linen/ beige upholstery. Or lighten everything and let a color from rug 'show out'... https://www.houzz.com/products/casa-faded-traditional-ivory-and-blue-rug-710x1010-prvw-vr~35555599
    ...See More

Designer Help Desperately Needed - Floating Shelving Problem

Q

Comments (12)
    @B F, I went with drawers on everything below the countertop (except under the sink). I will store all dishes in a drawer to the right of the sink along with most glassware. This way I no longer have to hang over the open dishwasher door to reach the cabinet above it! The drawers are my gift to me, well, along with a waterfall edge counter on the peninsula (not in the CAD drawing). I saw dishes stored that way in a Houzz article and can hardly wait to implement it. @chispa you're right about the tile description. I knew I wasn't describing it properly. Thanks for the picture, I absolutely L-O-V-E that look. We have a GC who is very meticulous and his tiler is too. He did a great job on our hall bath upstairs. After seeing your picture I like the look of the white grout so I think I'll end up going with that. I love zellige tile but it's too thick for my wall. This reminds me of it. @Sabrina Alfin Interiors thanks for the suggestion. I have some interesting pieces that we collected while living in Europe. The idea of a groove or flange to help keep everything in place is great. I'm specifically thinking about a round wooden bread board with "Give us this day our daily bread" in Dutch carved along the edge (from The Beguinage in Brugge, Belgium https://www.visitbruges.be/highlights/beguinage) and our fabulous espresso cup set from Rome with orange Vespa scooters on the cups. Going through our goodies for display will be fun! I tried to thank you in the app but it is not responding so thank you for the advice, it's much appreciated!
    ...See More

Desperately need help with kitchen design and colors

Q

Comments (14)
    so you know you will have 2 walls and the island. cabs come in 3 inch increments. you should get drawers/ a sink base cab and some way of dealing w the corner . have you studied cabinets? corners can have a "blind corner" cabinet for a 90 degree angle. or a lazy susan cabinet. stovetop and separate oven will take a lot of space. time to get the tape measure/ buy a pad of graph paper ..measure the walls before and after the demolition and start to find spots for things on paper. when you get a couple different good possibilities on paper and post the sketch people help you fine tune the plans. Do you have a place to buy cabinets..do you have a designer.. are you using Ikea?
    ...See More

Desperate for Advise/HELP on landscaping dilemma!!

Q

Comments (11)
    think pergola and garden curtains.. even lowes carries them ... you dont need the million dollar versions seen here.. but it will give you the idea... https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=pergola+and+garden+curtains&iax=images&ia=images https://www.lowes.com/pl/Outdoor--Curtains-drapes-Window-treatments-Home-decor/4294398489?refinement=4294546694 an investment that will probably pay back.. when you sell the house. .. this is the second time in 2 days.. ive posted this idea .. you really arent.. as you figured out.. going to solve this issue with greenery.. which will take 5 or 10 years.. to do so.... that only leaves the same thing you use on the windows from keeping those creeps next door from peeping inside your house... hopefully you dont have some invasive HOA to not allow such ... if so.. id just move ...its why i bought acres ..... i dont even want to be that close to my immediate family.. lol ... get the heck out of the house.. and go play where i cant hear or see you .. but dont leave the property.. lol .. ken
    ...See More
  • Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, Elaine! I haven't even begun hanging anything yet because I'm still trying to figure out where the couch (if I can even use either of the ones we have, or if I need to get another style) and TV will go. We just moved in. Thanks so much for your comments!!

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

TV needs to go adjacent to the fireplace on the blank wall. We have that same set up in our house. Float sectional. Your house does not read "dark" to me. You've got tons of windows.

You could use curtains or even blinds to create a "closed" experience in that little side room. Left open when light flow through was wanted, closed when it was not. I might treat that opening as a window and do something the mirrors whatever treatment you give the big windows. It would end up maybe looking kind of cool.

Also what Elaine said about lighting making a world of difference. Our home has bright white walls and light colored flooring, but is dark just because there is a paucity of windows due to the home design, and the ones that we have are shaded by big trees on the property. Lighting is key however, in any situation. We also usually have lights on in our common area/family/dining room because of the gloom sometimes. A big area like that and the light from the windows can only reach so far . . . the nook seems much brighter just because it is smaller.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Put TV on media console/unit on the left hand from fireplace. Create focal point with TV and FP. Move sectional facing both.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

You can even create an "L" in front of the TV with a lounge chair and a couch, using a square table in the corner. That's what we did. There are many ways to configure the "L" furniture arrangement.

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think the problem is that both of our couches have the chaise part that is on the wrong side. So it juts out toward the fireplace. Perhaps I need a different couch.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

If you put the TV on that big blank wall, you can still put the long part of the couch along the window area and configure it almost like Celery shows in the overview. Just the long and short parts reversed. That's how I have my "L." You can see the TV plenty good from the long couch at an angle. That's our actual preferred TV watching spot. This is the only photo I have and its terrible but maybe you can get the gist of it. The chair with the "Green Bay Packers" blanket over it is the short end of the "L." That cluttered thing in the left corner is a square table, but in your case it would be the corner of your sectional. Then we have a futon couch there, you can sort of make out the frame and the bolster pillows on the end. That's the long end for us, a long couch. Plenty of room to see the TV. Float your furniture, it doesn't have to be against the walls in an open concept house.

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, yes. I see what you mean. I will give that a try! Thank you so much!

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We switched things around. Seems like there is no doubt that it would fit the space better if the long and short side were switched. Is the consensus that it should be like this? As for this little side space....two chairs and a table? Any other suggestions?

• Shasta
    2 years ago

I would turn your couch 90 degrees,

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Shasta, I really wish I could do that set up but there is a walkway and then a dining table/chairs. Bummer : /

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

This looks so much better. Can you shove the sofa back a bit more to open up the space? You can put a long sofa table behind the sofa, a small game table with a couple of chairs in the corner, or turn that into a play space for the kids. Looks like a good place for plants, too. Or maybe a bar/wine set-up or bookshelves or a tall, vertical art piece or ?????

• vjs12
    2 years ago

I would sell it and get a couch and 2 chairs instead. The sectional doesn't work.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    2 years ago

working off of Celery’s plan, modified below to better reflect your current sectional configuration. Shift your sectional towards windows and add 2 swivel loungers or recliners near fp with a side table between.

• fitzspeaker
    2 years ago

The TV is too large!

Y'all do NOT need a large flat screen TV get a new TV that is not as large asmaller medium size TV.

Add a book case, add large square coffee table buy several stacks of beautiful "coffee table books" for the family and guests to enjoy.

Consider a baby grand piano today you can buy a beautiful baby grand piano that is also a Karaoke machine have a family sing along, spice up entertaining hand your guests a microphone.

There is room for a bar or a liquor cabinet.

Add books, and booze and music to this beautiful room buy a few comfortable sofas, club chairs with ottomans, objects of art, area rugs, provide more options than a flat screen TV.

Kevin

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for all the help! I wish I could move the couch back but there is this natural walkway that the couch would encroach on. Adalisa, your configuration would make the room look more cohesive as my current set up seems to divide the room up into two different rooms. I also need shelving of some sort, storage in this house is next to none.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Not a pro.

Your TV is not too large.

Baby grands are for two types of people: those who play the piano all the time and those who want a piano to be a statement piece of furniture and have the space to decorate around it. Given the cost of a piano, unless you are one of those two I would not recommend buying one. And given you have cartoons on the TV, I assume the piano is for potential pianists; I assume no one in your home is a budding Mozart, but I could be wrong.

You do NOT need to add something behind the couch. It should float maybe 3' from the windows. Maybe a little more than that if you want to put a sofa table behind it. Right now, while the layout is better in your new pic, it's all scrunched up. Give your furniture some space. Look at @adalisa frazzini's layout, which is a good one. Another option: you may be able to put the short side of your sectional parallel to where your TV used to be, with the long side facing the wall & fireplace (and new TV spot), with a couple chairs by the windows, but that only works if you can get enough space between the sectional & fireplace. The couch + chaise may work better in that orientation.

• Kicksychick
    2 years ago

Try moving the sectional back towards the windows (not back towards the table). Then you could place your chair near the fireplace. You should also have space to place a long low cabinet behind your sofa, on the side that faces your dining table.

• fitzspeaker
    2 years ago

Ashley

anj is not into books, or music, BUT has NOT ruled out "the bar"?

We agree with the "not a pro" fact.

Books, coffee table books, book cases, a baby grand piano/Karaoke machine,, etc, enhance family life options to "watching TV".

The TV is way too large an eyesore screams "ugly" anywhere it goes note the mock-ups these decorators use smaller TVs NOT the HUGE TV you have now.

Good luck with your room.

Kevin

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I get the part about your TV being too large. Mine is too. But that's what my husband insisted on, so I have to work with it, sigh. Also, the configuration you have made with your sectional is too cramped, that's why it seems out of proportion and like it is jutting out into the room. Move it back closer to the large windows on that wall. Give this little area room to breathe. Also, you will "complete the square" if you will, by placing some type of chairs (could be one big chair or two smaller ones) over closer to the fireplace.

My home is more cluttered than is stylish now, but if you look at the photo I posted, we have a maroon lounge chair and table in that corner to complete our square. And, the photo is taken from behind that whole area, which is where the traffic flows around it to get to other parts of the house. You are creating an intimate space for TV watching and lounging. This is how you do it in these open concept homes, you create little areas of utility functioning around furniture placement. Across from that area you have your dining space, and an area where the traffic can flow out to the door leading outside. This is exactly the way our open concept dining/family room area functions. Behind our TV watching "square" is a clear area where I was standing when I took the photo, and that is an open pathway leading to sliding doors going out to the porch, and also a doorway into a study. Then, out of the traffic flow area, is our casual dining area just like yours, with a table and chairs.

Also, you will create a feeling of cohesiveness in the TV viewing area by arranging the furniture around a rug. I inherited my house from my Dad and he put in this beige carpeting that I really dislike, but he's still living so I haven't torn it out yet, it's almost new. But anyway, on top of that carpeting we have an oriental rug which "anchors" the furniture arrangement. By anchor, I mean it is a square shape that the furniture can be arranged around to give the area the look of a completed room.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Actually, I have played the piano for over 30 years and my "fun" major was English, so I love both pianos and books, and I don't recall saying she shouldn't have either in her house. But I wouldn't want a baby grand in my house unless my house could support it, and I wouldn't recommend any one else get one unless they would actually play it. And even then, I would only get one if it was something I really wanted, since it's difficult to get rid of them when the time comes. MOST pianos end up just being furniture. A baby grand is a huge investment, which is why I said she should only get one if it would be something she would use. Having one doesn't mean it gets played, and most certainly doesn't mean it gets played well. Just ask most people with pianos. She already has a piano, so I think she can work with what she has.

TV has become rather ubiquitous in people's lives. Moving the TV to the wall doesn't make it look too big for the space, so I stand by what I said. Not everyone wants or needs a magazine-cover worthy formal living room.

Since you asked about the bar...I thought it was awkward to suggest a bar cart when she obviously has littles, I just didn't mention it.

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have a smaller piano (still unsure of where that will go). You can see it a bit in the original pictures, it's sitting in the formal dining room space. We literally just moved in so I will definitely be filling in once I get the bare bones of the couch/chairs/tv figured out. A bar cart is a good idea. I will try moving the couch towards the window and moving the chair over toward fireplace. Forgive the larger TV, I'm not trying to have an ugly eyesore in my home.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

P.S. You don't need a table behind your sectional it will just make it harder to sweep and dust that area. Like Anj said, maybe leave about 3 feet behind the sectional between it and the windows, so you can dust and sweep back there. You have room for other uses in that other space you are creating as a guest room area. Plus I see you have a piano in that other room. Great idea. I grew up with a pianist brother and you definitely don't want the piano in the same room where you are trying to watch TV!! Not if your pianist plays as much as my brother did. In fact, we turned our garage into a back family/TV room and added on a new garage just so we would have some place to go to watch TV and get away from the constant piano playing! At least with the open wall between this space and that other one that was for a formal dining room, you can stick your head through the opening and nag your kids to practice! (just kidding!). But it might also be a reason you would want to put some type of roll down blinds there to close the space off. That's what I would try, some of those bamboo blinds that people sometimes put over one side of their porch to block the view. Or, if you want something more formal, some heavy velvety drapes which you could tie back. It would look unusual and kind of cool, IMHO. You could pick something neutral (which looks like your decorating vibe) or use a statement pattern.

I get that you may eventually want to buy a sectional or couch that fits better with your space, but since you've just moved in, you haven't had a chance to prioritize yet. If you can afford it, fine, measure the space and get the perfect proportions. But if not, you should be able eventually to figure out how to make what you have work for you. For now.

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

Thinking outside the box, you could even someday install a stained glass art piece in that opening. It would close off the space but not block all the light. I have seen some stunning ones in a few homes, both modern and traditional styles. My aunt and uncle had a modern one, all the same frosty translucent glass with a beautiful pattern created by the various pieces.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

@l pinkmountain our last home didn't have space for a piano (I was SO SAD), but I'm getting one in the new house, and it will be electric. Electric pianos (different from keyboards) have come a LONG ways, and while they're not cheap (considering you can get used acoustic pianos for free), it's the route I'm going for the exact reason you stated! I want to be able to play without bothering anyone else, and you can use headphones with electric pianos. This will also be helpful if our kid decides to take up the piano as well...I guess some people like to hear piano practice but I am not one of them.

I think your idea of a stained glass window there would be lovely!

And I totally get the TV eyesore problem. We are getting a Samsung Frame in our next house as a compromise between me & DH.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    2 years ago

With your fireplace being at an angle, and with the sectional you currently have, we might recommend trying to get a couch and some chairs. You could also replace the sectional with one that has a reversible chaise. Below are just a few of our designs that might help you with your dilemma. Please notice the layouts and furniture used.

Living Rooms · More Info

Downtown Denver Condo · More Info

Cherry Hills Residence: Living Room · More Info

• Ashley K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for all the help!

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

LOL Anj, even though it was years ago, we did consider getting an electric piano for my brother so he could do the earphone thing! He lives in Germany now, Berlin, with his own baby grand in his apt. and he lives alone. Just him and his baby grand . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love the piano, but my brother played almost constantly. We got used to it. But no way was it compatible with TV watching. He used to play during commercials, but always linger just a little bit into the show . . . some people have to force their kids to practice, my parents had to enforce "quiet hours" when practicing wasn't allowed.

I've wanted a bar cart for a while now. So far I just haven't found one I like, even though there are scads of them online at Wayfair, etc. I would use mine mostly for afternoon tea. I have a tray that I put stuff on and carry around. I also have some portable tables I can set up. That's what I do when I'm entertaining with food in an unusual area. We used to call them "tv trays" when I was a kid. I have two antique ones and hubs is a woodworker who made two with inlaid tops. They come in very handy for a lot of things. We use them in the guest bedroom for guests to put things on while they are visiting. They're great too if you're sick and have to eat in the bedroom. Doesn't happen too often, but we do use the tables for a lot of things.

• fitzspeaker
    2 years ago

@ Pink,

Recently we had been commissioned for a GREAT Great Room in a McMansion Beach House on the Atlantic Ocean.

The client agreed we proceeded with the installation a Yamaha Baby Grand Piano, that is also a CD Player, Karaoke Machine, Player Piano.

The Yamaha comes in a standard beautiful high gloss black finish. For the beach, coastal, nautical interior we had a custom order the piano is a beautiful beige/tan color looks like sand on a beach.

The family LOVES the piano GREAT fun in the Great Room every day and the parties with a bartender on duty guests have a GREAT time with the Karaoke machine microphone in hand singing favorite tunes.

Next best part of that room had been the books.

We added beautiful large coffee table books stacks all over the 4' by 4' coffee table, another stack on the piano, another stack on the bar, and more on the bookcase wall unit all kinds of subjects the books are great entertainment for years to come to become family heirlooms.

The high tech electric Yamaha Piano, CD Player, Karaoke machine, Player Piano had been a winning choice clients and their family LOVE that and it looks beautiful placed in front of a wall of French Doors on a carpet beached white oak floors the Atlantic Ocean beyond.

Kevin FitzSpeaker

The Effective Presenter, Inc.

Sea Girt, New Jersey 08642

• l pinkmountain
    2 years ago

I've seen those pianos. Nice try but never would buy, even it I could remotely afford. I could have as much fun on my laptop with a keyboard plug in. Laughable pitch if you knew how many books I already own.

For Anj. I was thinking about your room this AM because like I mentioned, I live in a "dark" open concept home. In a large open space, even with big windows, depending on the orientation, the light will only penetrate so far. As others have mentioned, ambient lighting is key. Also, your stuff is mostly drab colors. I'm sure you can find some art or accent pieces to punch it up if that idea rings your bell. The inspiration photos some have shared have some good ideas. I totally copy ideas I see for decorating! Also, if you move your tv onto the wall (not necessary to mount, you can get a tv console, then the light will stream from that opening into the other room.

One thing you might consider, in Great Britain, which is a "grey" place a lot of the time, they often paint their homes saturated colors like pink, peach, yellow, spring green, cornflower blue, etc. I think they even make some pearlescent colored paints just for this purpose, maybe check at your local paint store. Something like an opal color. My house is "dark" and my walls are builder's stark white. I only haven't painted because it's difficult to break up an open concept house and stop somewhere, particularly mine with rounded corners due to it being built for someone in a wheelchair. My walls are so full of art that I haven't made it a priority. You might find some bright, bold art piece to hang on your wall to brighten the mood. Again, if that's your taste. Even a paler one with some color. YMMV.

• fitzspeaker
    2 years ago

@ pink,

Yes the electronic piano had been costly the custom finish delivery and set up nearly $20K.

I am sure your laptop sing along bring you equal joy!

Best wishes,

K