SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

New thread on Summer Citrus Grafting

Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I thought I would start a new thread on summer grafting (for citrus). I'm thinking summer is a really good time to graft in my region. Summers are not scorching like in the south, but nice and warm (including nights) so the plants are still actively growing. Humidity is generally high. Days are long.

Here’s the Panzarella orange chip bud I grafted onto Sour Orange about three weeks ago . In this shot I think I can detect the bud swelling already. I did a small gash in bark above the graft after a little over 2 weeks, which you can see. The Sour Orange really, really wants to grow. I've been rubbing off every new sprout as they appear.

Here's the graft after just two more days. It's definitely swelling:

The chip bud is one of the the graft types that I have had really good success with. I tried T-budding where you peel the bark, but I usually end up making such a mess of the bark if it doesn't peel cleanly. Plus chip budding is easier to do on smaller size rootstocks. To help stabilize the chip bud graft, I like making that little flap at the bottom of the rootstock cut. It helps to hold the chip in place while wrapping and also gives another surface to fuse with the chip. I like to use Buddy Tape for wrapping. It's 1" wide and perforated so you can easily tear off small portions while in the middle of the process.

I've also had good luck with veneer grafts. This one has contact for about two inches:

Comments (41)