SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof! TikTok.......

amylou321
2 years ago

I was slow to pick up TikTok. I tried it and did not like it at first, because you can go from "oh, how cute!" to "HAHA that's hilarious!" and then it hits you with some tragic or sick story that makes you sad or angry, or some weird random ones where people think its important to express their kinks to the world.....odd. But my SO likes it and was constantly sending them to me to watch. Over time, I have found it "useful" in the most useless way, if that makes sense. I have found and tried new recipes that we have loved, most recently deep fried peach cobbler wontons. The Christmas tiktoks have inspired me to get into crafting mode and research how to make certain things for decorations. I have always wanted one of those huge, puffy garlands, but none that I have come across have been big or poofy or tacky enough. Now I am planning to make my own, exactly to my specifications. I also find strange comfort in those profiles that only post holiday (either Halloween or Christmas) themed videos.

Do you TikTok? Have you found it useful, or just entertaining? What sorts of videos do you enjoy?

Comments (18)

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't look at it, but it appears to be totally addictive, as I have several friends who send me tiktok things. Educated, professional people who seem to spend way too much time (in my mind) looking at it. The things they send are pretty random and I realize how personal humor is because I often don't "get" any humor in some they send. But recently someone sent this and I really loved it- hilarious (to me):

Buster the Cockatoo, too

Buster the Cockatoo

amylou321 thanked Olychick
  • Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

No, I don't but I'm a hundred years old-lol. I only see the ones my kids send me.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    2 years ago

Yes I have several good friends on TikTok. I personally don't do videos. I enjoy a lot of the videos especially the people I follow. It runs the spectrum much like life but it is super easy to scroll on by and enjoy what interests you.

amylou321 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • bpath
    2 years ago

No, but it took me a while to glom on to Instagram, and to Facebook too, for that matter. Twitter not so much. Remember Vine? the 6 or was it 9 second videos?

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kathsgrdn, my mom is 70 and likes tiktok. granted, it was me sending her endless chocolate recipe videos to get her hooked, but hooked she is none the less!

Raven, I do not do videos either. I have nothing to post and it astounds me when I come across some videos. I think, why do they think people want to see that? Then I remember there is an audience for everything, and that worries me a little.......

Bpath, I am still not on Facebook, never have been. I just do not want to be bothered. No to Insta and twitter too. Never have, no interest in.

Its a good time waster. Like candy crush.

• Alisande
    2 years ago

No. I like Instagram to see what my favorite artists are doing, including a couple of my family members, and Facebook is my community of family and friends--people I know well. It has saved me from total isolation during the pandemic. But Tik Tok sounds like small bits of minor amusements, nothing that would engage me. I don't need a time waster, and I doubt anyone my age really wants to waste any more of our precious time.

amylou321 thanked Alisande
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

I looked at it. It's not captured my attention. Two days ago....I signed up for FACEBOOK. I'm Nicole Wilson if anyone wants to ADD me as a friend. ♥ I was told it's a good place for landlords to talk, tell tenant stories and keep up on changing laws. I also looked up a friend I hadn't seen or talked to in 8 years. She seemed to be having mental problems.......she's still alive and well.....TG for that! ♥

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • PattiG(rose)
    2 years ago

My daughter sends me funny cat videos she finds on TikTok, but that's the only experience I've had with it.

amylou321 thanked PattiG(rose)
  • User
    2 years ago

Hmm Lars, I may have to have another look at TIkTok. 😀

amylou321 thanked User
  • OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

My kids send me funny things things occasionally but i am not into anything else that would take up more of my time.

I had no idea there were actually informative things on TikTok.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Kathsgrdn
    2 years ago

Amylou, might be a good thing to watch on slow nights at work. I usually read on-line, play Yahtzee on my phone endlessly and when I'm not too tired will read a book.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is where I tend to watch. I rarely open it when I am at home.

Outside, YES! Lots of informative things. Sometimes I will run across a video that summarizes a story in history, and it will make me go research it to learn more. I've learned lots of things from tiktok.

Tried a new recipe from tiktok the other day, French onion rice. It was......SO GOOD!

I have found I prefer tiktok cooking videos because they only have so much time to squeeze the whole process in. YouTube creators tend to draaaaaaaaaaaaag it on and on... and sometimes i just want the recipe and a quick tutorial, not a life story and a video of you stirring....just sayin.

• Rusty
    2 years ago

There are a couple of people that periodically send me TikTok videos via Instagram. The first few I watched, but wasn't interested so now I just ignore them. I probably waste way too much time as it is, here on KT and on Facebook, so I'm not about to get hooked on any more social web sites. They are great for those who enjoy them, though.

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

nope

amylou321 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • graywings123
    2 years ago

I am signed into TicToc but spend no time there. As you point out, amylou, it's all too random. HOWEVER, this (below) from TicToc came across my Facebook feed and I posted it here on the Daily Smile posts. It's the funniest thing I have seen in a long time:

Flower Boy

amylou321 thanked graywings123
  • Lukki Irish
    2 years ago

Amy, my daughter is what I consider to be addicted. She’s always telling me about recipes she’s tried or things she’s learned. What drew me in was how crazy and creative people got during the shut down. Some of the videos were hilarious, but it also gave a look at how people as a whole were doing during the pandemic too.

amylou321 thanked Lukki Irish
  • chisue
    2 years ago

How will we develop any 'deep thinkers' when there's all this *entertainment* coming at us from all sides.

I blame Walt Disney for starting it all! <harumph>

amylou321 thanked chisue
Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner