SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720679265

OUR ROSE PHOTOS FROM BEST NURSERIES TO ORDER FROM

KittyNYz6
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

EDITED…

I have enjoyed ordering from many nurseries this year and there are a few I would order from in the future because they are outstanding! . What are your favorite nurseries? Post your favorite roses from those nurseries.

My favorite rose & plant nurseries:

Heirloom Roses, Antique Rose Emporium, Northland Rosarium, Roses Unlimited, Springhill Nursery, Brecks, , Etsy’s Fresh Garden Living, and David Austin, Chamblee’s and a few others. I liked the own root roses from these companies the best! I am in a cold climate, plant zone 6, and own root do best here. . I ordered from many nurseries & received excellent plants & outstanding customer service.

American Rose Society members receive discounts of rose purchases 2021:

Chamblee’s 10% discount.

DA offers 10% discount.

HCR offers 15% discounts.

Northland Rosarium offers 10% discount.

A few other companies offer discounts, too.

Wishing you all to be careful on purchases from reliable companies.

Summer Romance Parfuma, a Kordes, from Heirloom Roses, own root in gallon pot! It arrived last fall and first blooms have been gorgeous this spring 2021.as well as many of my roses from Heirloom Roses

Comments (49)

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Thank you for info. on nurseries. Your Summer Romance looks great !! How do you like the scent? Thanks.

Since 2011, I ordered countless gallon-roses from Roses Unlimited in SC, 20+ bands from Burlington in CA, 4 gallons from Chamblee Nursery in Texas, 4 bands from Heirloom roses, 9 bands from High Country roses in CO, and 8 bands this year from LongAgoRoses, NC. I like Roses Unlimited gallon-size but the shipping cost is high. My favorite band-size nursery is LongAgoRoses in NC, the shipping is cheap at $11 for 4 bands.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1709358/what-about-long-ago-roses#n=41

If you google "NAME OF NURSERY and Dave's Garden", it will bring up customers' reviews of that nursery in Dave's garden, plus the number of positive reviews and negative reviews for any nursery:

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7679/ for LongAgoRoses

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4344/ for Rogue Valley Roses

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/159/ for Heirloom Roses

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/586/ for Roses Unlimited

KittyNYz6 thanked strawchicago z5
  • sharon2079
    2 years ago

I love both Long Ago Roses and Roses Unlimited for own root roses. I haven't broken down and order from Heirloom roses because they seem high in price.... but they have a couple that I want that seems like they are not offered any place else.

Straw how did Burlington's roses turn out for you. I have heard great things about them... however, it seems odd that she doesn't actually list the roses that she has available.

Kitty your Summer Romance is out standing

KittyNYz6 thanked sharon2079
  • Related Discussions

which mail order company best to order fruit trees from

Q

Comments (17)
    two thumbs up for Schlabach's Nursery in New York! They are Amish so no ordering on the internet nor credit cards taken. They accept orders by mail only. They do use a phone for business purposes and are happy to answer any questions over the phone. Really great selection and pricing. I have purchased from them for my own use and for commercial purposes many times. David and his family do a fantastic job. They offer their apple trees on numerous rootstocks. Their catalog only lists the choices as "dwarf" or 'Semi-dwarf" but if you call and ask they will tell you what rootstocks the apple variety is available on. I always write on the order what rootstock I want and they honor my request. Located in Medina, NY.
    ...See More

Best rose photos from wine country

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks everyone for your nice feedback! Irisgal - thank you for your kind words. Charles Rennie Macintosh's blooms last only a couple of days but he's only six months old and about two and a half feet tall, so it might be a bit too early to judge his bloom longevity. I'd rather he had fewer but larger blooms that lasted a bit longer than lots of medium-sized blooms that blow a bit sooner than I'd like. We'll see how it does next year when his roots are more established. So far, my Strawberry Hill's pink color is similar to what I remember strawberry milk looked like when I drank it as a kid. It's a very sweet, light pink with no variations like Abe. What I was hoping for is the color and shape I saw at Regan Nursery in the photo below. The center was darker, and the petals more ruffled. I should have bought this SH at Regan's when I saw it. Just didn't have the space for it at the time. I hope mine looks like this eventually. Ann
    ...See More

Has anybody ordered from Interstate Nurseries?

Q

Comments (6)
    I wouldn't. But if you could see yourself opening a window and tossing a fifty dollar bill out into the wind - and shrugging your shoulders when it disappears from view, then why not. Reviews on this company and their plants are consistently bad, bad, bad. Oh, I just love how they tell you that this rose is hardy from "zones 3-10." Yeah, sure. They don't even have a real photo of it (photo-shopped or not) but rather a very old fashioned drawing - what's up with that? I'm sorry, but their whole catalog smacks of hype, deceit and lack of true plant knowledge. Wouldn't you be better off contacting Roses Unlimited and seeing if they would propagate one for you? I know it is not currently on their catalog list, but HMF says they do have it.
    ...See More

Reverence for Roses, Palatine - Hurrah for mail-order rose nurseries!

Q

Comments (42)
    Perma: Yes, an antique rose is much more than just a rose. It's history, it's romance, it's beauty, it's fragrance, it's science, it's life, it's culture, it's poetry, it's magic. It's a reason to get out of bed in the morning--to look around excitedly to see what bloomed. Like you this is basically my only indulgence. I've been frugal by necessity for decades. This is really the only thing I've done for myself and I don't feel guilty for spending the money. What's stopping me now is I have no sunny space left to put them and I am really pushing it on shade tolerance with many of them already. Ingrid: I agree. I think the future will be worse than those forecasts. Jin: Yes, with money just about anything in the garden is possible. I could spend thousands easily in the garden. Every year! I want to fix my paths and get some flowering plants that are shade tolerant. Maybe a bunch of encore azaleas for starters. I'm eventually going to have to shift my focus to shade gardening because for every square foot of sun I have about 200 square feet in shade. I really wish I could get as worked up over shade plants as I am for antique roses. As an aside, my crape myrtles are all blooming now and they are really beautiful but they do not make my heart go pitter patter like my roses do.
    ...See More
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

My 12 Burlington bands ordered in 2012 were fantastic: solid roots and healthy leaves like LongAgoRoses. Then it's a drastic decline in quality since Burling switched from expensive green & fluffy florist moss (for orchids) to acidic pine bark. My next 2 orders from Burlington had very little leaves and root-balls were 1/2 size of LongAgoRoses. I had to nurse them for 5 months in pots. So I stopped ordering from Burlington.

Below is a pic. to compare Roses Unlimited' gallon-size (in white plastic bags) to the band-size in front & in the ground from High Country Roses. The root balls of Roses Unlimited is at least 4 times larger than High Country bands.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

The own-root bands received from LongAgoRoses on May 12 and June 11 grew so fast that they beat Roses Unlimited gallons received on June 23. Pic. taken today July 9 of bands from LongAgoRoses (less than 2 months growth). I already planted one into my clay since its root grew too big for the 3 gallon-pot:

I find that band-size roses grown in pot, can easily achieve gallon-size root within 1 month. Click on below pic. to enlarge and see how big Golden Cel. gets in less than 1 1/2 month as band-size from LongAgoRoses. The black pot is gallon-size from Roses Unlimited received on June 23.

Below is Parfum de Paris band received on May 12 from LongAgoRoses, solid root with thick stem (bigger than a pencil).

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw & Sharon, Thank you about my Summer Romance. It has grown so beattifully this spring from Heirloom Roses. Love its rich perfumed scent.

i have about 32 own root roses from Heirloom Roses as I have received most of my best roses from them. I used to live in Portland, Or near Heirloom Roses & it was one of my first rose nurseries I bought from. We loved to go visit them . I also lived in CA and bought from them. They may be more expensive, but ”I am always happy with their roses are big, healthy, grown on their own root!” HR also allows you to select ship date & track order-great customer service. Antique Roses has similar quality, my 2nd favorite, but not enough variety. Roses Unlimited similar quality, too , but high shipping & less choices. Northland Rosarium sends smaller own root roses, but still well established & less expensive; I received my Cinderella Fairy & Bliss from them-they give extra good customized service-love them-my roses are growing gorgeous blooms, canes, & leaves from them! .Fresh Garden Living by Etsy gives wonderful healthy plants, small but just the plants I needed-their service is special-individual.

I am wondering about Longagoroses. I will need to check them out.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, Thank you for the info on band roses grown from LongAgoRoses. That is interesting an amazibg to see how healthy & fast they grew!

This forum is so helpful to learn about roses and whete to buy them from. I am awaiting 5 rises to be deliveted from Heirloom Roses now.

The pandemic has been chalkenging for some nurseries but I see some still offer wxcellent cistomer service. I like how Heirloom Roses, Antique Roses and my other top favorites above ship their roses carefully.

I have to be careful to order healthy hardy robust roses and maybe shoukd buy only own root roses due to my winter cold weather. So I love the nurseries I mentioned aboveI. I am hoping, though though, my DA grafted roses make it through next winter. Own root roses seem to do better in my yard in last 4 years.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heirloom Roses, my favorite nursery in Oregon. Love their healthy roses and variety! Tgey have free shipping if you order a number of roses & they have $10 gift certificates for points you ordered.

Some of my new first year Heirloom Roses bloomed so beautifully this spring. Super healthy!

Abe Darby

Flamenco Rosita

Leonardo di Vinci

Dee-lish

Mary Rose

Wedding Bells

Bonica

Mary Rose

Laguna

Kuss of Desire

Heirloom

Parade Day

Kiss of Desire

Kiss Me Kate

Princess Charlene de Monaco

New Dawn

Bonica

The Fairy

Honeymoon CL

Summer’s Romance

Beverly

Princess Charlene de Monaco

Windsor Castle Wedding

Sheila’s Perfume

Iceberg

Grahm Thomas

Cecile Brunner, 4ft bush only.

I‘ll post other nursery roses I puchased another day…Some of my Heirloom roses I don’t have photos of blooms yet & 5 roses will be shipped this week-still coning.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Thank you, Kitty, for those very useful pics. of own-roots as if seen in real life. I enjoy all your pics. Fantastic photography. What camera are you using? How are the scents of Kiss me Kate compared with Laguna and Flamenco Rosita? Thank you.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, Straw, Thank you. I have an Iphone 11+ as my camera. it crops photos well. The photos are pretty good-often the roses are more beautiful in real life, though. I find the IPhone 11+ is as good as my expensive canon I used to have. I highly recommend it. Kiss Me Kate has the strongest lush scent. Thank you, again.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

I took a chance woth Fresh Garden Living and was very impressive

Sweet Mademoiselle, happy and healthy from the start

Growing like crazy

Her packaging is very nice and free shipping

KittyNYz6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kristine, Yes , Fresh Garden Living has free shipping & I livve the nursery, also. Great roses! Your Sweet M looks really pretty!!!

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

Fresh Garden Living is great for 1's and 2's and she often has them, spring, summer and fall. (My husband is not a fan of Etsy and spam.) I love High Country Roses and have ordered 18 over 2 years...they do very well. Northland Rosarium only ordered 2 I could not find at HCR. All of them have been similar pricing and product. I had contacted both FGL and HCR and they have good customer service.

KittyNYz6 thanked ann beck 8a ruralish WA
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Ann: what are you favorite roses from High Country Roses? Thanks. They have so many new roses, very tempting.

2 years ago

Last year I tried disease resistant roses with fragrance and good repeat...the winner was Duchess (something) a pink EarthKind rose. This year I was trying cutting roses with interesting colors, Fun in The Sun is wonderful scent and color, but I haven't cut it yet. Also got Honey Dijon and Koko Loco. His search engine is good for getting close then I check HMF. We have rain, rain, rain fall to June or July, then none until late Sept or Oct. Our summers are consistantly 70's with a few 80's and rare 90f. It is so much like England that what does well here may or may not do well elsewhere.

I have certainly learned lots from you Strawchicago and feel like I can get better at picking roses and caring for them....next I want to try the roses bred in England (other than David Austin because I have some DA's)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ann, That’s interesting that you live in rural WA with summers in 70-80F. You must be up north? Are you on the eastern or western side? Are you near the coast? One of my daughters spends summers in Bellingham. Do your roses like the mild weather?

Love to see some photos from your HCR?

Duchesse de Brabant-did you purchase her from HCR? I see it was Pres. Roosevelt’s favorite rose. It is very pretty!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Northland Rosarium has wonderful customer individualized service, own root, healthy, good quality roses! . It was nice to be able to call and they went and looked for 2 roses for me and shipped them rather quickly after ordered, my favorites: Bliss and Cinderella Fairy. They are small roses, but not too small-look like second year roses. The pot is 4 inches but my ordered roses were bigger than High Country Roses I saw others order. NR sell many if our popular -favorite roses! They were inexpensive and have grown large alteady with multiple blooms!!!

Bliss grew large quickly & had 5 blooms first flush in colors pink/peach & very fragrant

(now Bliss is already for a second flush bloom.)

Cinderella Fairy Tale 1st bloom early spring May 2021. . Squirrels ate her other 1st blooms.

Her 2nd flush just started blooming!

She will have an obelisk to grow on…putting it out next week. She’s so beautiful that she’s in the center of my T-bed back yard.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

I have gotten several roses from Burlington and she is generous with her time and knowledge. 2 of my favorites from her are

The Fawn, starting second flush

Crimson Glory

She also has a wo derful selection of minis.

KittyNYz6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kristine, I love your The Fawn! She’s beautiful!

2 years ago

Yes, I am 30 minutes from Puget Sound and in a cool/frost pocket, so we are 5-10f cooler than town or Belligham. It is great rose weather (similar to Portland and it's rose test garden). There was even green houses of florist roses around Portland until the 1980's, then they all when to Columbia to be grown instead of Cocaine...good for Columbia, but I am sure that is why current florist rose bushes are hard to get in the US. I think that my Grandmother must have had those florist bushes from the green houses and fabulous soil! We do irrigate as we get no rain July to Sept. usually.

Yes, Duchesse de Brabant was from HCR. Can't photo her until my spider bite on my foot gets better. I also got Bliss from HCR, lovely!

I tend to order from who has what I want. Last year when I ordered from HCR, they had more OGR and less new, this year, he got in more new ones. I don't know how HCR and FGL grows them differently, but they do take off better than Northland for me, but I only have 2 (and 1 poor starter) to compare. I think it has to do with being smaller actually take off better, because my favorite nursery uses tiny pots for tomatoes and they take off so well, where the other local nursery uses bigger pots and they struggle...the actual size of the tomato is the same. BUT slightly bigger ships and survive better...when I get them in March from HCR or FGL, they are small, but I only have 1 month of occasional frost (28f) and I pot them up to quart for insulation and frost cloth at nights.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ann, PNW is a great location for roses! I used to live in Portland & enjoyed the Portland Test Gardens. Best in the US!

I am gkad you had good results w/ High Counyry Roses & FGL.

My Fresh Garden Living Roses, from Etsy…

( I like supporting Etsy small business & FGL sent me nice roses that were very healthy, own roots in small pots, which grew fast…

Michaelangelo 1st blooms
    (Love it’s healthy super green glossy leaves. Was really dark green/well fertilized when came from FGL.)

Brilliant Pink Iceberg 1st blooms
    (I needed roses for my back hill… shes’scso easy to care for & ever blooming!) Blooms well beside white iceberg.

2 years ago

Biggest problem for me is that Portland soil is amazing and soil around Puget Sound is sandy loam which is so different that I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what to do here. Used to plunk roses in the ground and watch, now I fuss and baby and water and hope...learning lots though!!!!!!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, Ann,

I moved to NY and its clay soil here. The weather is difficult, too and lots of bugs. I work at it to improve soil, bugs and weather issues.

Growing roses in Portland and Los Angeles in past for me was easy. Now I create prime conditions and monitor daily. as there are challenges with rose gardening in NY I brought in good soil each spring/fall and manure , i really work at it. Its sooooo nuch fun, isnt it! Lol! The joys & challenges of being a rose gardener! LOL!

There is a rose forum thread, ”Summer Start,” whete I post my roses, talk about my daily challenges and friends share their ups and downs on roses gardening and their photos this summer daily. Its lots of fum. We talk about fertizers and soils and our favorite roses we use and all our daily activities. Come join us! Lots of fun! You will meet many good supportive friends. Its helpful to have everyones support daily as we garden!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ann, When I lived in Portland, OR and CA I still bought Miracle Gro soils and used them for improvibg soil to grow roses, but climate was easier on roses than my NY climate. Now as I live in NY I bring in every spring Cow manure and Miracle Gro Soil and fertilize regularly and add it to my soil heavily. I add more in summer and fall , too. Most rose gardeners on our rose forum are anending the soil with similar soils & conpost to improve the soil. i have 100 roses so its now a big job for me. However, my roses look better than my roses in CA & Pirtland as I now do all this TLC care. They are growing very healthy and vigorously. i guess rose gardenibg can be some work but so worth it!

BTW, if you grow new roses in any location the first year or 2 years without any soil amending they may grow well or not for a season, but over the years they will not necessarily do well. The weather washes/wears away and plants use up the nutrients in the soil each year abd over time the soil will be depleted of it’s rich nutrients. Sometimes we move in and tge soul is loam or clay snd will grow nothing. Sonetimes soneone slready amended the soul before they moved do our garden starts growibg well before we do anythibg. My soul in Pirtland & CA was pure ricky clay- I had to fix it up with rich soul. if you add new conpost and amenities each soring at least to replenish the soil it will regenerate your roses each year and fertilize them them. Roses need rich soil anf fertizer food every year.

I hope these ideas help you. Happy Gardening!.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

Dont forget abiut Palatine! one of my favorite nurseries!

KittyNYz6 thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

Hi Kitty:

I’ve been waiting 5 days, hoping someone else would ask, but no one did, so I’ll ask now. You mentioned: “ My soul in Pirtland & CA was pure ricky clay- I had to fix it up with rich soul“

”Soul” must be soil, and P we know is Porter, but ” ricky clay” was unclear to me. I ran it by 2 gardening associates here in NJ. One said ” sticky clay”; the other thought it was likely an unusual regional expression that youse up your way use, like:

https://www.rd.com/list/regional-sayings-phrases-words/

So I googled ricky clay, but the search yielded names of various health care professionals. Nothing with a gardening theme. What is it?

KittyNYz6 thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

I'm sure Kitty will jump in, but it looks like my spelling when I use my phone and it "helps" me out! My brain, just ignores the spelling and fills it in correctly...leaving other people to wonder what I have said...I am going with "My soil in Portland and Ca was pure sticky clay -I had to fix it up with rich soil." Of course "ricky clay" could mean something else (probably in England), like scabby soil (means rocky, sandy and poor) was used to describe my soil...not what I pictured in my mind.

2 years ago

I just received my order from Rogue Valley Roses and all but 1 had very, very yellow leaves. I know that they are lots hotter than we are, but it still seems funny that one had nice green leaves and the rest yellow...any thoughts?

So far not impressed with RVR, but they are cheapest way to try non-DA English bred roses...things could get better and there could be a good explanation.

Wish I could order from LongAgoRoses, they won't ship west coast.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Ann Beck: How's the spider bite on your foot? I hope you get better soon. Love to hear from you about Duchess de Brahant's vigor, folks rave about its scent. Yellow leaves are from heat & drought. The weather messed up Roses Unlimited's gallon-plants. First time in 11 years ordering from RU that I got roses with zero leaves. It's either South Carolina had a drought in June, or their bunnies ate all the leaves.

The bunnies are nuts here in Chicagoland, they try to eat the rough & prickly plastic-mat I have in the front door. It's a rough mat to scrub mud from my feet, but the bunnies tried to eat the plastic-mat.

2 years ago

It is weird that 1 is still green. About how long before your began pushing leaves?

Bunnies must like to chew...chewed off a bunch of native rose champion and left it scattered on the grown....I thought about picking it up, then I thought free mulch!

Duchess de Brahant is from High Country Roses, so I am guessing that it is a more cold tolerant rose...it is sure easy care for me.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Ann, do pot the RVR babies in 1-2 gal pots at least. They will look much better in 2-3 weeks when they put out new growth. You can plant them out in Fall if you want. I added Osmocote Plus to the pots after a couple weeks too. Also semi shade might be good if you have full sun for the pots.

KittyNYz6 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rifi, Ha Ha, my cell phone typos. It’s difficult on cell typing versus easy on computer. Soul is soil and ”ricky clay,” hmmm? Sticky clay I guess. Yes , typo strange words is the new language I now speak! Lol!

Dingo, Thank you. Many love Palatine.

Ann, Try Fresh Garden Living, Northland Rosarium, ChambleesI I love them for a variety of inexpensive healthy Roses. Also, when your new roses are in full sun they will grow beautiful new leaves.

Straw, Hungry rabbits! I grow 100 strawberries on hill for treats & ground cover & squirrels. Bet your rabbits would love the strawberries instead of your mat! Lol!

2 years ago

Sheila...I am putting them in 1 gallons and slowly giving them sun, but I just got off the phone with RVR and she says the 1 green one is the weird thing too...we are going to see how they go.

Kitty...I wanted these roses specifically and only Palatine, Hortico, Heirloom and RVR has them.

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Agree that Heirloom Roses is a wonderful place to order from -- well packed one gallon roses that just take off! I'm super happy with my roses from them - and delightful reps on the phone. One tip -- order direct from them for the one-year warranty and the points, not from Amazon (you get a 30 day warranty and no points). I also was impressed with Burling's roses (Burlington), though I stopped there in person, so didn't do mail order. I have got healthy 4" rose plants from Annie's Annuals, but they are taking FOREVER to grow into big rose bushes...and I'm not very patient!

KittyNYz6 thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Deborah, Thank you for your comments about HR. Lovely! I mainly order from them now…as best roses…best service I have ever received. I use my points for discounts, too.

Ann, I would try Heirloom Roses & order what you can afford. You will love your roses that come healthy & large from them. i just ordered a bunch delivered in spring. Then I ordered more delivered in July & now one more, Savannah is coming end of August that I just ordered. So if you want to order-ORDER NOW-earliest delivery is now Aug 26 week. I just ordered Savannah rose, Heirloom photos…

from HEIRLOOM ROSES, my recent new blooms…

Hyde Hall, DA rose, 1st bloom

Grahm Thomas

Red Eden 1st bloom

The Fairy

Honeymoon CL

Fragrant Masterpiece

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Kitty: I love your photography !!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, Thank you,. How are your roses this season? Any favorite rose photos this yea?

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi, Straw,

I love seeing how your roses are doing this summer. I especially love Crown Princess Mag. & Munstead. What are your best hardy light pink roses? I am always looking for more hardy pinks to purchase. Evelyn is pretty & full.

it has been an interesting season with high 90sF in June for me in NY and rain every 2-3,days. It cooled off in July to 70-80+F but I had medium humidity for June & July which we usually don‘t have as much. I had a couple roses which don’t like that weather & I am replacing them with hardier roses. I bought Savannah from Heirloom last week for her resistance to humidity.

It is still raining every few days & overcast frequently this week of July 24-31 68-75F. It’s usially high 70-high 80F. Not enough sun for roses now, but cool, less humid. I grew new grass which did very well as if it was spring rain this summer-hysterical weather! . No need to use sprinklers most of this summer-very unusual.

I found several OGR didn’t like the unseasonal NY lack of sun, humidity, and too much rain; this summer. However Madame Berkeley rose OGR (love her) grew well in shade or sun & no black spot- she is really tough! I bought M Berkeley from Rose Petals Nursery, inexpensive, specializes in OGR. (Queen Elizabeth, Benny Lopez bought from Rose Petals-did well, too too.)
    Madame Berkeley

I found a lot of dark glossy leaved roses did really well in this damp summer weather…from Heirloom Roses: Leonardo de Vinci, Kiss Me Kate, Laguna, Hawkeye Belle, Kiss of Desire, Bonica, Francis Meilland, New Dawn, Eden, Red Eden, The Fairy, Honeymoon, Dee-lish, Flamenco Rosita, and all the roses I posted above photos from this summer.

Roses above from my other nurseries did well, tooI… such as Cinderella, Michaelangelo, Yves Piaget, Princess Charlene de Monaco, and more…

Yves Piaget from Reagan Nursery

Pomponella, Cream Yves Piaget ( Classic Woman) from Antique Rose Emporium are doing well-dark glossy leaves. So new they haven't bloomed yet.

Cream Yves Piaget almost blooming-lovely leaves!

A few more with glossy leaves did well this humid-wet cool summer…Apricot Drift, Music Box, Earth Angel, Wedding Bells, Handel, Polar Express, Moondance, Lion’s Fairy, Sheila’s Perfume, & more…no BS.

Darker green leaved roses did well… Summer’s Romance, Mary Rose, Olivia, Moonlight in Paris, lot’s of DA, Velvet Fragrance, Cadwell Pink, Beverly. no BS, but planted in lots of full sun, & more.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Kitty: Many thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos (really show the beauty of each bloom), plus which roses can take less sun & humid & rainy weather. It was easier back in 2011 when I had more sun, much easier to grow roses in hot & dry with alkaline tap water pH 9, than to grow roses with tons of rain & shade.

I find that glossy leaves can take wet & poor drainage clay here better. I save your post to refer back when I need to buy more roses for shady & rainy weather.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Straw, Thank you. I have a list of a few roses with glossy leaves for fall purchase. I am more careful now after this summer’s cloudy over cast days, rain, & humidity, which roses I’d like. I am grateful it has been a pleasant summer with sun,, too. Most of my roses have done really well. Thecrain was sooooo good for my new lawns, lilies, hydrangeas, , rhododendrums, but the roses tolerated it.

2 years ago

Kitty...Savanah does amazing for me...great health even with the no sun, no heat last year to the crazy heat this year. She is vigorous and takes eaten by deer. Love, love her scent! I would say that I can always get a blossom from her, but the deer love buds, so it's a little harder this year.

Savannah gave me hope that I could grow roses after I almost killed an expensive one and several supposably hardy ones. All the Kordes I have do well here.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

I have Savannah and Poseidon for many years .. .love both (so vigorous and healthy for my zone 5). I love the scent of Savannah, what are other Kordes roses that smell good like Savannah? Thanks for the info.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Ann and Staw for you comments on Savannah! I am so excited for her to be delivered in Aug to me. She will be perfect for my roses next to south back yard new fence I needed to replace one rose with a harder one so I choose Savannah. They have some sun & shade…all roses are doing well there except one. Savannah will be a blessing there!

Straw, Lovely photo above of Savannah! Love it! So excited! How oretty!

2 years ago

Well...it is hard to say right now, the deer ate every bud off......South Africa and Earth Angel smell great, but I don't think the same a Savannah.

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Ann: thanks for the info. about South Africa smelling good. If I had known this, I could have bought South Africa instead of Felicia (hated my clay and died).

Kitty: How's the scent of Bliss Parfuma? What are the best scents among your 100+ own-root roses? Thank you.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ann, Sorry about the deer eating Savanna. Pretty deer but they do have an appetitepetite.

Straw, Best Scents! Hmmmm. My roses are almost all newbies this year & 30 from last few years. . Their scents are just starting to emerge.

My top favorite 5 are listed first. It is no wonder that Grand Dame & Francis Meilland have the stronest most exquisite fragrance-they have the largest 5-6 diameter blooms!

MY FAVORITE-BEST FRAGRANCE ROSES From my garden:,

1. Grand Dame has the strongest, lush, & blooms the biggest fushia blooms.

2. Francis Meilland (Prince Jardinier) has a lovely enticing rosy perfume scent second strongest! Love it!

3. Bliss Parfuma, Kordes, stong fragrance!

4.Yves Piaget-perfumed fragrance (A Meilland)

5. Princesse Charlene de Monaco-perfumed fragrance, Meilkand Rose.

6. Grahm Thomas-lemon scent some.

7. Scentuous-strong fragrance emerging some

8. Dee-lish scent starting to emerge

9. Clotilde Soupert, polyantha, has a lovely perfumed scent.

10. Princess Alexandria of Kent, strong fragrance.

11. Cream Yves Piaget (Classic Woman) strong perfume scent. A Meilland rose.

12. Heirloom Rose-exceptional fragrance but BS prone if not in very sunny spot.

13. Summer Romance Parfuma-strong perfume

My favorite fragrant roses are the ”Meilland Jardin & Parfum,,” cut flowers, roses and I bought a few above…best fragrances!!! There are more one can buy… check out the link…Meilland.com Jardin Parfum.

14. Madame Annisette Parfuma, Kordes

15. Earth Angel Parfuma, Strong fragrance

More Meilland perfumed roses …Angie Romantica, Alina Perfumella, and more…

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Kitty: many thanks for the list of your top scents. I saved your post. That helps me a lot in choosing scented roses for my garden.

2 years ago

My Bliss Parfuma is more medium, not strong, but it may strengthen as the lava rock dissolves.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As roses mature, I notice more fragrance.😊