SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snicks0513

HELP! Mosaic Tile/Backsplash Dilemma

snicks0513
2 years ago

I shouldn't be able to see the netting behind the glass Mosaic tiles of my kitchen backsplash, correct?

Comments (50)

• sayboone
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Doesn't look like it's been grouted yet, in which case the backing will show. Don't panic!

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

Is it grouted? Doesn't look like it. Grouting will go over the backing so it shouldn't show...

• Related Discussions

Wall Transition for Mosaic Tile Backsplash

Q

Comments (9)
    Not sure what your question entails. Are you looking for a way of getting a finished edge on the tile, because it doesn't butt up to a molding, and there are no trim pieces for that tile? Then I think you can get metal transition strips to finish the tile edge. Schluter makes some. I know there's a woman on the bathrooms forum who did a contemporary bath recently using these metal strips, you can search that forum. If you're asking where the tile should land with relation to the cabinets/counter etc. that's a different question.
    ...See More

Backsplash Help...small SS backsplash??? Pics?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks prill...I'm leaning towards only doing tile in area to the left of the casing...then in the window area just doing paint and the casing down to the counter. I guess I'll just have to be more dilligent with cleaning. The Reef was the first tile that spoke to me...I really thought I was going to go for a more solid blue, but reef is so much softer....it allows me to play up the color of the walls more...not that I have a lot of walls...And, I found out that my designer can get it for about 12.50/sf where I was quoted around $15/sf.
    ...See More

Backsplash? No backsplash? What kind of backsplash?

Q

Comments (25)
    didn't have time to read all the answers. I have no backsplash and have never regretted it...been over 6 yrs. It is painted with BM matte...which has ceramic in it. It is as beautiful now as it was when first painted. I love the fact that I can showcase other things ...art etc in my kitchen and no competition. Also if I ever want to change it is as quick as a paint brush...expense is minimal..paint only ! All in all I think it is serene as you point out . Here is one pick. Since I have a lot of high heat cooking in my kitchen..built in deep fat fryer as well as gas cook top I can definitely speak to the longevity of paint only. c ( more at this album )
    ...See More

Tile dilemma - Back-splash

Q

Comments (4)
    they sound interesting enough to me, being crackled and having variation. larger size might work..what size you consider? Gray is already considered dated lol. Makes no sense to me personally as all this dated thing is a new concept I'm still struggling with-how a color can be dated? but in terms of what happens in trends etc-it's on its way out, yes. they move into warmer tones. they're still into greiges for now to bridge between things a bit. white is becoming big as a neutral. wood stains are making a big comeback. this update on trends can go on and on but i'm sure you can find thousand threads here discussing it so i'll make it short. if you're really worried-it might be you're simply are not attached to a color enough. which is okay, really. then pick off-white. off white is pretty. Even very much so. I like both off whites and grays(I do have preference for much warmer grays though) so I have off whites and warm grays. And many other colors too since I love them too. I commit by choosing something of course,-but it's fine since commitment, paradoxically, is a road to freedom:) But I admit I was also worrying when choosing..well choosing everything except for stuff like toilets etc. Of course one worries, it's a hassle and an expense and you want to love it in the end. So. Try to worry less. If you can remove "dated" from the equation- great. Go with your heart's desire. If no-then ok, take it into equation and don't do gray. Worry less. You did a great job on everything else, so no reason to think your backsplash won't turn out well either. It will.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I agree with these guys!

Just wanted to say I love your backsplash!!

• Circus Peanut
    2 years ago

Can you see the mesh through the actual glass tile itself? In that case it’s a tad concerning, because the grout won’t change that, and for some reason the manufacturer just produces it that way. Can you take a close-up photo?

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, you can see the mesh through the glass! There is grout but it doesn't appear to be sealed (not sure if that's the correct term or even a thing). The builder also gave me the wrong measurements and I had to order 12 more sheets. It's custom and is supposed to be delivered between the 12th-24th. I'm sorry but I can't take a close up at this time. It's new construction and I'm locked out of the house unless scheduled a time with them.

Thank you for the compliments, I love it!! Susan jablon is the artist.

• Circus Peanut
    2 years ago

I wonder if the folks at Susan Jablon would weigh in for you? Since the mesh is intended to be installed with the tile (as far as I know), it seems this issue would have cropped up before for them. Before worrying too much, do reach out and see what they say!

(Both grout release and sealer are clear and wouldn’t affect the mesh visibility one way or the other, so that’s probably not a factor.)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

If it shows through the tile it seems like a production issue- is it painted on the back? My bathroom mosaic tiles are clear so came with a paper face/ no mesh. I love the tile though!

• PRO
    The Wood Mill
    2 years ago

If the installer used a notched trowel and the tile is translucent that is the problem...

• chispa
    2 years ago

Find the instruction that came with the tile. I used several tiles from Oceanside Glass Tile that were see-through and they had very specific instructions about trowel type for complete coverage under the tiles.

• acm
    2 years ago

sometimes you need to use white thinset to disguise white mesh...

• HU-996389822
    2 years ago

I have susan jablon mosaic glass and the mesh doesn’t show through, and the installer was otherwise pretty incompetent.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think a pic from much closer to show excatly what you are talking about would be helpful

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful feedback!! I spoke to someone locally, too, and their review coincided with your responses regarding incorrect installation either, proper trowel and/or thin-set use (rather, lack thereof). I have sent an email to the builder, and fingers crossed, this won't turn into a battle. I can't take much more... >sigh<

• chispa
    2 years ago

I looked at the Susan Jablon site and did not find any installation instructions.

Here are the very detailed installation instructions from the Oceanside Glass Tile website, so you can at least see what should be done. These are expensive tiles and customers shouldn't be left guessing how they should be installed!

http://www.glasstile.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Oceanside-Glass-Tile-Installation-Instructions.pdf

I would call Susan Jablon and ask for (demand) the installation instruction for their product.

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, @chispa, for going to the next level to help!

• Mama Cita
    2 years ago

Snicks that’s a FABULOUS tile! Gorgeous combo with your faucet, counter, sink!

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I contacted Susan Jablon this morning. They were extremely helpful and confirmed the inclusion of instructions with every shipment, attached to the outside of every box (3 in this instance). They promptly sent the instructions to me via email, which I sent to the builder representative. The response received indicates that this is far from over... 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Emily
    2 years ago

What stunning tile! I sure hope you can get everything worked out so that it looks as perfect as it should. Crossing fingers and toes for you!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Oh snicks I’m sorry! People hate reading instructions…

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agreed and thank you @HALLETT & Co.

Unfortunately, it's as if it's my fault for not telling their 'expert/experienced' installer about the instructions. A) I'm not allowed to communicate with anyone outside of the consultant. B) The instructions available on the outside of 3 boxes, and literally needed to be removed in order to open each box.

I'm going to propose a compromise. One that is going to cause a lot of undo stress for me... but at this point I'm so exhausted and I think they know that. I'm so upset, NOTHING has been easy in this process.

I hope to get more photos this weekend and will post accordingly.

Thank you to everyone in the thread. I really appreciate the feedback and support. 🤗

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I would suggest they redo it on their dime.

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you.

I won't bore everyone with the details of my life but I am downtrodden and they are taking advantage of it/me. For lack of knowing an avenue in which to take, and against my better judgment below are the portions, specific to the tile installation, from our emails. I could really use help on a constructive next step. *Also, I plan to have close-up photos by tomorrow.

Consultant: I had a brief conversation with ***** about the backsplash tile. I will be going out there today to take a look. He did say that it is a glass tile and you can see through the tile. The only way to get around that would have been to take the pieces off of the mesh and place them one by one, which would have been far more expensive than the $600 that you were charged. If you have installation instructions, that would be helpful but it is also something we should have given to the installer prior to the install. I'm not sure how this can be rectified at this point. Like I said, I will go out there today and take a look.

Snicks: I appreciate your effort to go there; with your expertise, you'll see the error in the installation immediately. Glass tiles are often transparent, however, removing each piece is not the resolution nor would it have ever been. With regards to installation instructions, these were attached to each of the 3 boxes. I phoned the designer this morning and attached is a sample of what would have been included. In terms of the level of difficulty, the instructions appear relatively simple when someone of skill was to utilize. Bottom line, there were three instances of instruction included. This can be rectified by the removal and replacement of properly installed tiles.

Consultant: I went out to take a look at the tile and I honestly thought it looks very nice. Yes you can see the mesh though some of them but I didn't really think it looked bad. I'm trying to be very fair with this installation issue. I can't imagine our experienced installer would look at install instructions unless he was instructed to do so. Let's be honest N****a, I don't recall you being aware of the included instructions nor was I. I remember the day you dropped them off and there was no conversation regarding the clear stones. I also remember that you placed one of the sheets on the wall to show the direction of the install and there was no mention of special instructions for the install. I'm assuming the directions would have been on the top row of the box. Now, we can also agree that the installer should have known better and I agree with that but if he never installed a tile like that before, he wouldn't have known to do that. In his defense, that is an extremely unusual tile and one that he had probably never seen before. I'm surprised your supplier wouldn't bring it to your attention besides a piece of paper in a box. I am in no way blaming you, me or the installer for this mishap but I do feel we all have a hand in it and need to find a fair resolution. For him to chip out all affected tiles and replace them would be a nightmare and a mess with all of the grouting, not to mention possibly chipping the other stones. Some of the grouted areas are really wide in between the stones. I think it would be a huge mistake to go down that path.

• sayboone
    2 years ago

@snicks0513 hold fast on this one. A draft response is below.

Consultant,

Thank you for your message, and for taking a look at the tile in person.

The tile needs to be replaced and re-installed properly. As you mentioned, this tile is unusual. Given that fact, the installer (particularly one as experienced as you describe) absolutely should have sought instructions if it was "one he had probably never seen before." It is wholly reasonable for me to expect that a professional tile installer would consult the provided directions prior to install, especially given the unusual nature of the tile and his unfamiliarity with it.

Even without consulting the directions, after installing a few sheets, when it was clearly obvious that the backer sheets were visible, the installer should have stopped. Proceeding to install and grout the entire backsplash when it was obviously incorrect is unacceptable. It needs to be replaced.

Regards,

Snicks

• cpartist
    2 years ago

If they push back, ask if they'd be happy with it in their house and if so, tell them you're sure they wouldn't mind you posting it all over social media with the name of their company and the fact they didn't follow written instructions. ;) And you'll be happy to show anyone who is thinking of using them to build their house.

• sayboone
    2 years ago

@snicks0513, please let us know what happened! I'm invested! LOL

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi everyone! Thanks for the continued interest and concern. Other than confirming a time to meet with the consultant and construction manager this Thursday, I have not yet addressed the tile installation again via email. That's not to say, another email to me from the consultant hasn't been received. (see below)

Did I also mention that I was given the incorrect amount to order by the consultant and that is why there is an incomplete section?

*Please note, I never suggested the removal of "clear stones". Complete removal and reinstallation is the only resolution I have proposed.

Consultant: I spoke with B***n again regarding the install of the backsplash. He spoke with the installer, who is one of our best guys, and he said that he does not recall any instruction sheets in any of the boxes, nor does B***n. Our installer believes that the issue is the thickness of the mesh backing. He said that he installed it as he does any other glass backsplash that he has over several years of installing them. They both feel that chipping out the clear stones would be a huge mistake and are not willing to do so.

I think we should further discuss and review when we do our final walk through and talk options at that time.

• K H
    2 years ago

What a bunch of bullies! I would be ticked. You are paying them to do a good job. I agree with @sayboone I would mention the part about how if they could see the mesh on the first few sheets they should have stopped and figured out what they did wrong or if the tile had a manufacturing issue.

Something similar happened in our build. The builder had routed a piece of wood for the top of our window trim and showed us a sample of what it would lood like so we agreed to go with it. When we got back they had installed that top piece and their help that was supposed to paint the wood didnt bother to sand it! But they installed it anyway! Our builder ended up having to sand and touch up all the top trim on 14 windows. It was so frustrating having to keep an eye on quality.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

‘Let’s wait until the final walk through and talk about it then’ translates to “let’s hope you are too tired and eager to move to press this a month from now, and if you push we can call it a change order since appliances and electrical will be installed”

• sayboone
    2 years ago

^^^^ What @HALLETT & Co. said. They are trying to avoid dealing with it. Tell them you are not willing to wait for resolution until the walk-through.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Tell them you want it resolved now.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

Agreed - you have to really push now... I would not wait til a walk through

• K H
    2 years ago

I also agree. Get it fixed, dont wait. They are trying to wear you down.

• strategery
    2 years ago

What a gorgeous tile! It deserves nothing less than a perfect install. Stand your ground.

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update: I met with the Builder's Consultant, Construction Supervisor, and Construction Manager today (Thurs). The proposed resolution to be presented tomorrow morning to the owner is the following: Full reimbursement of the tile and cost charged to install directly to me. Along with the previously mentioned payment, the builder is to remove the incorrectly installed tile and repair the drywall accordingly. I will then conduct the project myself post-closing of the house.

I will update when I have a response from their representatives. My thanks to all who replied with words of wisdom and support. They were all extremely beneficial!!

• One Devoted Dame
    2 years ago

Full reimbursement of the tile and cost charged to install directly to me. Along with the previously mentioned payment, the builder is to remove the incorrectly installed tile and repair the drywall accordingly. I will then conduct the project myself post-closing of the house.

I was secretly hoping for this outcome, lol, because I wouldn't trust them to redo it properly. ;-)

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

following because I hope you update us with the finished install. LOVE the colorful look!

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update: The proposed resolution has been agreed to - Full reimbursement of the tile directly to me and cost charged to install will be credited on the build. The builder is to remove the tile and repair the wall.

Question: I am concerned that the repair could potentially mean the use of some 'mudding, filler, or patching' of sorts, instead of actual replacement of the drywall. Are my concerns warranted? Shouldn't it be a replacement of the drywall completely (would patching hold the mosaic tiles)?

Anything else I should be concerned about?? (Below is the email from the consultant)

We will be removing the backsplash and repairing the wall as discussed at the walk through. I will credit the $600 install charge off of your project. The cost of the tile will be refunded to you by check after closing. Please provide me with a receipt for the tile.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Doesn’t matter- skimmed drywall is as good as new drywall. I’d be surprised if they go that route though- usually it’s faster to cut out the drywall and start over with new.

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago
  • sayboone
    2 years ago

I think it'll be fine if they skim-coat it rather than completely replacing it.

Make sure you put it in writing that any damage to other surfaces (countertops, fixtures, trim, etc.) resulting from the removal of the tile is their responsibility!

• snicks0513
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Everyone! While I haven't received the refund from the builder, I did get the backsplash installed properly. Tell me what you think?? I LOVE IT!!

• J Sk
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful, all elements go wonderful together!!!

snicks0513 thanked J Sk
  • K H
    2 years ago

wow! gorgeous!

snicks0513 thanked K H
  • Emily
    2 years ago

I love it!!!! 😍

snicks0513 thanked Emily
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago

@snicks0513 This is the first time we've viewed your post. Nice outcome. We've worked with Susan Jablon over the years with great experience. Also, kudos for stepping out of the box on the tile selection/design (it's refreshing to see character and color which works with your other materials). Good for you for advocating for a quality install. As industry supporters of educating the consumer about quality tile installations I wonder if you would be so kind as to expand just a bit more on your experience for the benefit of others in the community? Specifically, how did you go about finding/hiring the tile contractor that performed the final work? Secondly, are you aware of what he/she did differently to achieve a quality installation? And finally (I know $ is a sensitive topic at times but so important for establishing realistic expectations), what did you pay for the installation (not tile itself) that was done professionally ? This would be the bonus follow-up that wraps this learning experience for all. Thank you and congrats on the new space.

• Eileen S
    2 years ago

Your backsplash looks amazing! I hope your builder will give you the check like they said they will. I have been waiting for more than three months for a check from my realtor, and I hate that I even have to remind/pester her about it.

snicks0513 thanked Eileen S
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

it's so pretty! thank goodness someone isn't afraid to do something other than white subway tiles! paired w/your dark vent hood and the gold hardware, the tile is striking.

(I might have done the same color shelves as your vent hood just for some contrast against the white wall, or chosen to take the tile up to the ceiling, but that's me! I'm sure it wasn't cheap. )

congrats on a job well done.

How did you rectify the mesh issue? did you trowel the thinset smooth before setting the tile?

The consultant gave you a line of bull. If the 'experienced' tile setter had never done these tiles and was unsure, then why didnt HE contact the manufacturer and do his own research? or why not come to you w/his concerns? That's his job, right? if he doesn't know something, then the onus is on him to figure it out, or find someone else who does.

snicks0513 thanked Beth H. :
  • tozmo1
    2 years ago

Very pretty. Hope you brought the consultant and installer in and said, "And this folks, is how it's done." Mic drop.

snicks0513 thanked tozmo1
  • User
    2 years ago

I LOOOOOVE IT! I settled on the aforementioned boring white subway only because I had a busy mosaic for 10 years and needed a change. But your kitchen is stunning!

snicks0513 thanked User