SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
bananastand

I thought this was my agastache, but I'm not so sure...

bananastand
2 months ago

Last year I added an agastache foeniculum to my perennial garden- I planted it in late August and it flowered for me soon after and into the fall. This spring I had two plants that came up in the same area, which I assumed were the agastache returning since the plants had square stems and opposite, toothed leaves. Now that we are into July, the plants are taller than me and I am also noticing that the opposite leaves are compound-- so I'm not so sure this is agastache after all. Any ideas who this is?

Photo from this April:

Photos from today. Plants are about 7' tall.

Close-up of opposite compound leaves coming off the stem:

Tip is about to produce a flower:

Comments (20)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

Looks right even if tall. Did you crush a leaf and do a smell test?

tj

• bananastand
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I mostly smell a very faint mint/planty smell when I crush a leaf, but I've never grown it before, so I'm not sure whether I'd recognize the smell, which I know is supposed to have hints of licorice.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 months ago

Looks like agastache to me. It must like it's spot to grow that tall. Someone told me once they thought it smelled like root beer!

:)

Dee

bananastand thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 months ago

I’m not seeing any compound leaves in the pictures.

• bananastand
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I could be describing it wrong. What I see is that instead of just two opposite leaves off the main stem, it's two opposite stems, each of which have multiple opposite leaves. I just assumed it was a compound leaf, but maybe agastache branches like that.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

Yes it does.

tj

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 months ago

Never, ever heard of or seen A. foeniculum that tall. Let us see it when it flowers.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    2 months ago

Looks like it likes its growing conditions.

• bananastand
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Update- it's starting to bloom! Agastache or not?

Also, it's about 8' tall by now. At least.

• bananastand
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Jay 6a Chicago Oh, interesting! I bet you're right. I am wondering if it was maybe just mis-labeled at the nursery. I bought it during one of the last days of a going-out-of-business sale, so it's quite possible. I looked more closely and I can definitely see fine hairs on the stems. The underside of the leaves does seem somewhat white, but I'm really not getting an anise scent when I crush/smell them. I'm happy that it's such a valuable pollinator plant despite being less showy. It's in a decent spot for the height, so if this persists in my garden, I'll call it a win.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 months ago

I went and looked at my Purple Giant Hyssop and the pubescence is the same as on your plant. I think when they are smaller and younger, they have more hairs. The underside of the leaves is a slighter lighter shade of green than the topside. The undersides of Agastache foeniculum leaves are also a lighter green, and not white like some sources state.

Agastache scrophulariifolia getting ready to flower.

A self sown seedling of GPH.

Left, Agastache foeniculum. Right, Agastache Scrophulariifolia

Leaf undersides of both.

bananastand thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • bananastand
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you for the helpful comparison photos- I think that cinches the ID.

2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Agastache foeniculum's maximum height is 3.5'

May be rather average? Mine is 5.5' and still getting taller.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 months ago

Maximum heights

Ladybird - 4ft.

Wiki 4ft

Flora of British Columbia 36"

Illinois Wildflowers 3.5ft.

Windberry, go take a picture of yours with a tape measure, or otherwise I tend not to believe you.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

My tallest is 5 foot even, so Windberry’s is reasonable.

tj

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 months ago

I can believe 5 feet, but 8 feet I don't think so. These are all reliable sources I quoted. Still want to see a picture.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 months ago

Windberry said theirs was 5.5 feet not 8 feet.

tj

2 months ago

Sorry for the late response Jay. We have raging fires here, and visibility is less than 1 km so forgive me bad quality pics. I was a little unprecise writing that my Anise Hyssop is 5.5' tall. Right now the one close to the Beebalm is 5' 5" and the other one is 5'11". Will try to get better pics when the outdoor conditions are better.

9 days ago

Jay 6a Chicago: Windberry, go take a picture of yours with a tape measure, or otherwise I tend not to believe you.

Jay,

Sorry I didn't do it earlier, but here they are, the requested pics of my Anise Hyssop with the tape measure showing how tall the plants are (6 and 1/2 feet). Now I will prune the flower stalks with already ripening seeds and get rid of all the plants but one (I have more of them growing in my edible garden). They are crazy re-seeders.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars75 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz