SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_citrus_and_indoor_gardening

Blocking a phalaenopsis orchid from growing where it shouldn't

I haven't posted on the orchid forum before, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts.
I should preface this with the following: a number of my orchids grow on a corner shelf that is up against two walls. One is a standard wall with latex paint, the other is an accent wall of unsanded, rough, reclaimed wood.
A few days ago, while watering, I noticed that one of my phalaenopsis orchids seems to have discovered the accent wall and has grown a number of air roots over the surface. (All very healthy, green tips, etc). Thing is, I don't want this orchid growing onto the wall for various reasons. A solution I've come up with, (before it found the wall it grabbed a rough ceramic cup on the same shelf, so it seems to want to anchor to something), is to build a rough wooden wall into the shelf and move the roots onto that. In a few weeks I'll have access to some old fence boards, so I was thinking I would find a way to sanitize them and then cut them to shape and screw them into the shelf. What would the best way to sanitize the boards be? Do I even need to worry about it? Also, is it sufficient only blocking the accent wall, or should I enclose the entire shelf with this orchid to keep the roots off anywhere I don't want them. (I tend to fall into the school of thought of just let them do what they're going to and work around it, at least with my orchids).

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area