SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kashmi_gw

New Kitchen: Dislike Refrig Spot, but Don't See an Option. Do you?

kashmi
2 years ago

Seeking feedback on a kitchen design -- specifically opinions about the refrigerator location, but more than happy to read about other appliance placement as well. This is just the design phase.

Renovating a small bungalow, about 70 years old and virtually untouched, to be my aging-in-place home. Transforming it into a modern space with high ceilings was just too expensive. So now I’m “embracing the bungalow”: 7.5’ ceilings, current window sizes and locations, current bath location, etc. It’s still a gut renovation, but the costs are not quite as astronomical. And it keeps a lot of perfectly good lumber and siding out of the landfill.

I’ve read the “Read Me First” kitchen materials and the architect and I have tried to keep them in mind. To wit ….

Kitchen Mission Statement: Functional but joyful kitchen, good for baking and for aging in place.

Users: Mostly just me

Workflow & Zones: Tried to keep the Ice-Water-Stone-Fire sequence in mind.

Functionality: Aisles are 4’; everything has a landing place (I am used to taking items from a wall oven and turning to a countertop behind me as the landing spot).

Appliances:

Small refrigerator – but wide enough to accommodate half-sheet pans

Side opening (or French door) convection oven.

Steam oven

Microwave

Dishwasher

Induction cooktop

Here is the initial kitchen design, Option 1, for the sink side of the new kitchen. Regular height countertops, 30” deep.

Because I’d much prefer having both ovens at waist height – again, this is my aging in place house – we needed to make room for side-by-side ovens. To do that, we shrank the pantry, downsized and moved the refrigerator, and extended the sink side of the kitchen by a foot, as in this next elevation, Option 2.

For reference, here is the elevation for the other side of the kitchen: the cooktop + baking island. These countertops are 33” high. Island is purposefully accessible on all sides for making strudel and similar doughs. The person is standing at the front door, that is NOT right by the cooktop!

I’m pretty happy with the second version of the sink wall. It better fits the Ice-water-stone-fire sequence and keeps the refrig out of the kitchen work area (visitors seeking beverages). BUT, I do not like the way the refrigerator provides a floor-to-ceiling visual block between the kitchen and dining/sunroom. It’s a small house and I’d like to keep the visual pathways as open as possible.

Are we missing an obvious alternative? Or will the refrigerator block really not be that bad?

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)