SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
nhbabs

Show Us Your Landscape and Gardens - A Photo Thread - July 2021

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us Your Gardens" Photo thread for July 2021.

This is a place to post photos and to discuss what is in your garden. All landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your New England yard or garden in the month of July, it is fair game to post it here. If this gets too long I will add another thread mid month.

Here are the links for the last couple of years’ July threads:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5948674/show-us-your-landscape-and-gardens-a-photo-thread-july-20#n=113

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5737030/show-us-your-landscape-and-gardens-a-photo-thread-july-2019#n=69

My self-seeders are enthusiastic this year.

I don’t think that I have ever had Phlox blooming before July 1

Sorry it is sideways. I tend to forget that Hzzz only likes landscape format photos.

Comments (78)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    3 months ago

July has been a challenge weatherwise. When it hasnt been overcast and damp, it's been disgustingly hot and humid. I'm not going to complain about the close to seven inches of rain though. Parts of my garden are over run with weeds and I've had to cut back some of the tall sun lovers because they collapsed.

Last week I took a deep dive off the daylily deep end and placed a few internet orders. A couple of those orders arrived this week and I've been scrambling to get them planted. I won't reap the rewards from those plants til next year but here are a few that look good now.

Primal Scream is so worth growing. Unless you really hate orange. I love it with Phlox Blue Paradise.

Black Arrowhead

Ruby Spider

Monson Flash Forward

Pamolai s one of the plants I got from Don Church of Blue Hill Daylilies in Maine. I also have Katahdin, another of Don's introductions. I've hiked both Mt. Katahdin and Pamola multiple times over the years so these are cultivars I coveted.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked Sue W (CT zone 6a)
  • Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    3 months ago

A few containers...

• Related Discussions

Show Us Your Gardens - A photo Thread - July 2015 Part II

Q

Comments (39)
    Molie, I have a few white daylilies, but 'Light the Way' is really quite stunning. I also love 'Delia O'Brian Brown'. Steve, I can smell those lilies through the screen! And I'm sneezing! LOL! I really love the look of lilies, but I'm so allergic to them. Tried them for a couple years but just had too many issues. Then the beetles came.......then I really gave up. Will have to continue to enjoy your great photos! Isn't Marie's garden awesome?! I'm so glad Barb took pics while we were there. One of those gardens that is just so much fun to stroll around and find all the cool stuff planted. Such a wide variety. Claire, my viburnum was flowering beautifully, until they all started to turn brown, shrivel up and fall off. So no berries for me this year. I was just happy that the shrub appears to be OK. I was a little worried when the flowers were giving it up. I really like that carefree delight rose. Soooo pretty. Rooguchi clematis has been a blooming powerhouse for weeks. It doesn't show much sign of slowing down yet. Mohawk viburnum with its beautiful berry display. I love the way they change colors over time. Sorry for the blurry photo. I really need to ditch my point and shoot and go back to my D-SLR. But you get the idea. It's loaded with berries.....and the birds and critters never eat them. The daylily bed never disappoints. Delphiniums are now all cut down in cottage area. Hoping for a repeat bloom this fall.
    ...See More

Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread - July 2018

Q

Comments (19)
    Nothing exotic here, just the stalwarts reappearing on schedule. Garden phlox in the Phlox Protection Zone. There's Grenadine Dream, Wendy House, and Purple Kiss in there. These are all medium height phlox and bloom before the tall ones. The rambling rose in the background is fading. I saw a woodchuck a few weeks ago but it doesn't seem to have noticed the phlox, hopefully because of the fence and the soapwort. The woodchuck was eating birdseed on the ground which is fine with me - better to eat birdseed than phlox. The daylily Frans Hals is blooming in several locations, here next to a Bosnian pine and an American Revolution daylily (and a soapwort). An inherited No-ID daylily is blooming. and Corky is still opening. Hemerocallis 'Pardon Me' has been around for a while. And Hosta 'Blue Angel' is still blooming, getting bigger every year. I still have late daylilies in bud that won't bloom for a while yet. And late garden phlox (woodchuck-permitting). Lilies are in bud, waiting for whatever lilies wait for. Claire
    ...See More

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - January 2021

Q

Comments (37)
    Sue, you always sound like a very busy and productive person! Painting rooms! Love it. Babs, what a cute name!! Flax! I think getting a dog is one of the best decisions for someone who is grieving. Dogs are such a comfort and good company too. Yes, COVID and working from home was the reason for the addition of the dachshund in our family too. They were going a little stir crazy at home without co workers, and decided it was a good time to get a dog. It has worked out better than I ever expected. They did virtual training classes too. And while they were doing a lot of walking any way, it's increased and the stairs up and down, in and out. They are as fit as they've ever been. [g] The dachshund puppy is called Babs, believe it or not. lol I'd love to post a photo but, they'd kill me if I did. So I found a photo online of a dog that is similar.... you can see how low to the ground he is. He gets soaked and sometimes muddy when he's walking in wet weather. I love that photo of the early morning sky!
    ...See More

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - April 2021

Q

Comments (60)
    Defrost - It’s really a shame that life has to get in the way of our gardening. [g] Last year, we changed our mowing habits a little. We started mowing higher on the first cut of the season and staying higher. Normally we’d cut as low as possible in both early spring and fall and not start keeping it long until it gets hot. I thought it made sense to follow that recommendations because the taller grass shades out some of the weeds. I thought it looked better last year. Don’t get me wrong - we leave a lot of ‘weeds’ growing in the lawn and do not use commercial lawn products at all. We have clover, violets and dandelions and a few others. We use all the grass for mulch mixed with fall leaves when we have them and mulch the vegetable garden. I’m always afraid to delay cutting the dandelions because they go to seed so quickly and I don’t notice and then miss my chance before the seeds are flying all over the yard. I am happy to have some dandelion but I don’t want to keep increasing them. [g] I’m doing the same thing with my Blue Holly. It needs a hard pruning but it’s full of flower buds that the bees just love and I’m waiting until that is done to prune it. Dunbarton for a daffodil display - that sounds nice. I’ve always wanted to go to Daffodil Week on Nantucket but have never made it. Too busy using every weekend to get the garden ready every year. That’s a nice idea for a community to focus on adding daffodils. I don’t know of another place, sorry. I don’t have the fiddlehead ferns either. I wonder if New England Wildflower Society has them?
    ...See More
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Sue, I like Ruby Spider, but the combo of Primal Scream and Blue Paradise Phloz is stunning! I like orange with either creamy white or with blue-purple. The pots have such dramatic foliage with the flowers being the icing on top. Gorgeous!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Gregg - You’ve got a nice collection of plants there. Hope you get some cooler weather to get them in the ground. I have seen a Spiderwort growing in a Historical garden near us. It was quite nice. Star Magnolia a great tree. I hope you have good luck with the Pieris, they are gorgeous when they bloom.

Sue, LOVE that combination of Blue Phlox and Orange Daylily and that particular variety is on my list to get.

Are you ordering from Blue Hill Daylilies exclusively? I’ve been looking for a good supplier. I saw an article of a grower that was on the Isle of Wright and I liked so many of theirs, but they were not available and I haven’t seen any that were all that much like them yet.

That’s a really pretty pot with the variegated Banana? That’s kind of amazing and each leaf is like art. The Impatiens with it is also a stunner. Great job! Are Impatiens still having issues? I haven't bought one in awhile.

I was thinking of you and your containers yesterday, when I was trying to look up info on a new Smoke Bush - it was a dwarf Royal Purple from Monrovia and it maxes out at 4x4. It has great color and looked like it would make a great container mate. ‘Lila’, I believe is the name of it.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    3 months ago

I usually shy away from Phlox paniculata because of the powdery mildew problems but I would not be without Blue Paradise. It seeds true and bulks up fast so I've been dividing it and moving it to other parts of the garden. I haven't looked for it in a while but a friend recently told me she wants some and can't find it in nurseries in her area.

Container full of tender plants have always carried my garden from May til frost. Shopping for the plants and planting can be time consuming and expensive and in the past few years I've been frustrated by the lack of selection. I bring all my bananas, Acalphas, some Abutlons, cannas and dahlias in for the winter mostly because some have become impossible to find in the spring.

PM, I don't order exclusively from Blue Hill. I didn't order from them at all this year. I've placed two orders with Shreiners and one from a daylily grower, Sterrett Gardens. Usually I identify the cultivar I want and google but try to limit my patronage to more northern growers since not all daylilies perform well everywhere.

The impatiens problem you're thinking of, downy mildew, does not affect varieties of New Guinea Impatiens, just the traditional bedding varieties.

We received another inch and a quarter of rain yesterday afternoon and overnight bringing us up to almost eight inches now for the month...sheesh!

Sue

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

I tried Phlox paniculata for a 2nd time last year when I read about a number of varieties that were supposed to be very resistant to powdery mildew. But I ended up with the same problem. Bad enough that I tossed them at the end of one season. I gave them plenty of air circulation, didn’t matter.

The only Phlox I grew that I don’t remember having a problem with was Phlox ‘Nora Leigh’ which is the variegated form that I liked a lot. I just bought another two of those this spring since one year they just didn’t come back. I have one in a large pot and I put another one in the ground. So far I’ve seen a few leaves on the bottom with some mildew on one. But interesting, I realized that with the variegation I barely noticed it. Unless it gets much worse, this would be acceptable.

Sue, do you get powdery mildew on your Blue Paradise and do you take steps to prevent it?

Thanks for the daylily reference, I’ll take a look at those. Where are you looking to identify cultivars you want? Online or in gardens?

We had rain yesterday and this morning again and I haven’t checked the rain gauge yet. The lawn looks great! The tomatoes and peppers are a little stalled.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Since it is a photo thread, I should put a few here [g] ....

Borage that I was surprised to see a hummingbird visiting....

Phlox 'Nora Leigh' hasn't flowered yet.

NOID Daylily from a plant sale that I just noticed this year has a green stripe down the petals.

Lilies finally opened and with all this rain, they seem to be going by fast. Lucky to get any since last year the rabbits ate them all down and I didn't get one bloom. All my photos look gray and dark. lol

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

LOL Gregg, didn't mean to scare you about the jewelweed! Just the opposite - I thought I was kind of singing it's praises! I mean, yeah, I rip it out when it's in the way but then leave big swaths of it because I do like it, it's easy, it's native, the bees love it, and it dominates most other weeds and makes a nice visual in large groupings. The area where it is is along a wooded area, very natural and untouched by human hands lol. The downside - for me - is that it reseeds easily so it's always reappearing in the "maintained" part of the yard, but when I say it's a chore to weed, it's more about volume, not effort. It's actually one of the easier weeds to pull, IMO. There's just so much of it!

Nice pics, Sue! Love the Primal Scream! Have eyed this for some time and actually just this year thought I might actually HAVE it lol (I used to know every plant in my garden then got away from gardening for about two years and forgot at least half of my IDs - and never marked what I had, so now it's a guessing game!) but when I look at yours I think mine must be something different.

Also have this little lovely, which I thought was Gracious Living but now thinking, no, it's something else...

By sheer coincidence this is planted right next to a similar but darker daylily, which I believe is Daquiri, and I love the two together, except the possible-Daquiri blooms a tad later, (in bud now) so the combination is very short-lived.

Also love the Ruby Spider. Very eye-catching!

I know a lot of people think these are weeds, but I adore Queen Anne's Lace. Goes back to my childhood in the city when most of my contact with flowers were the ones that grew in the back alleys - QAL, spiderwort, ditch lilies, honeysuckle. I usually start some ammi every year from seed, and have added a darker reddish one, Dara, to my wintersowing list. (I'll have to get a pic of that) And I let them reseed at will. Here is a clump of some reseeders:

Tried to add more phlox to my garden this year but both of the ones I bought and planted never grew. I have some issues with powdery mildew but not enough to dissuade me from growing - I love them in bouquets! Such a lovely soft scent. Will have to look out for the Blue Paradise. Very different from the whites and soft pinks I have now.

:)

Dee

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    3 months ago

PM2, Love the NOID daylily! and I think I need to check out Nora Leigh. no mildew and variegated foliage sounds great!

Dee, I always find salmon clolored flowers difficult to place, but I like yours with the blue hydrangea!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Thanks Babs! I kind of like it too, although I can't take much credit for it. I tend to be a plopper, not a planner, and that's just the way it turned out lol. Sometimes I get lucky!

PM2 somehow I missed that second post of yours with the photos. Babs is right - that NOID daylily is a stunner!

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Gregg, I just looked up Montbretia 'Emily McKenzie' and see that it is a Crocossmia and I’m now trying to fit in as many plants for hummingbirds as I can. You’ll have to let me know if you do get some hummingbirds on that plant.

Dee, I love the daylily that is in your first photo. I’m wondering if it has a dark scape? Lucky you to get Ammi to grow for you, for some reason I tried to grow it from seed and no go.

I was also noticing the daylily hydrangea combo and thought, wow….since I find the blue a little intense, I could like it a lot better with an orange pairing.

Babs, I can’t be sure yet about the mildew, because I just added Nora Leigh from a pot, that didn’t grow here this season. Next season will be the test. I was just saying that with a small amount of PM on the lower leaves, I don’t notice it so much that it bothers me, probably due to the variegation it’s not as visible. I have pulled a few leaves off it already.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Lady bug, still around....

And a wasp on the Milkweed...

I never have my camera when the hummingbird is around and I don't do as well with moving subjects. [g]

• Barrheadlass
    3 months ago

Here goes my first attemp to post pics of daylilies in my garden…

This is an unnamed variety imbought a week ago.

Another just purchased, unnamed.

Blueberry Breakfast, a favorite

German hollyhocks, before rust took over, with a vitex behind it.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked Barrheadlass
  • Barrheadlass
    3 months ago

Here are some more

Frances Joiner

• Barrheadlass
    3 months ago

Sorry about the repeats!

• Barrheadlass
    3 months ago

A few more, sorry too that ive forgotten most names.

Lemon Ice

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    3 months ago

houzz is buggy, so no worries about the repeats. I have no problem with seeing Photos twice!

I sometimes will copy the whole entry (just in case) and then try deleting one of them, which usually works to just remove one.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Barheadlass - Very pretty! You have some nice oranges going on there, very vivid!

That NOID daylily in your first photo is quite unigue and I'm impressed that you have Hollyhocks without rust. Especially with all this rain. You must really look forward to July!

• Barrheadlass
    3 months ago

My hollyhocks pic was taken before the rust took over. They look awful now.

Now im going to try to delete those duplicates. Prai Prairie, I thought everyone would think im obsessed with pink…i have so many pink lilies!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Barrheadlass - Such a shame - Hollyhocks are great, but hard to look at the rust for sure. That's the top reason I stopped growing them.

Well, yes, you do have some lovely pinks, which is more my favored color, but that orange daylily is so intense, it just jumps out at you! lol

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Wow such wonderful daylilies! Barrheadlass I've forgotten a lot of my daylily names too!

PM2, the scape on that orange daylily is not dark, but it is unusual. Instead of several scapes with blooms at the end/top, that plant has one big scape with buds coming off at different points. I personally haven't seen this before, not even on this plant.

Some of my daylilies:

This NOID is actually more red in real life. Looking kind of fuschia-ish here!

Scene Stealer - this is one of my favorites!

I believe these two are Gracious Living and Daquiri, but not sure. Daquiri would be the darker one.

Another NOID red, looking rather orange here. Actually, I'm wondering now if this NOID red and the one above are the same. I did dig and move a bunch of daylilies last fall... Note the darn asiatic beetle trying to hide from me on the bloom farthest to the left...

My clematis Jackmanii, which I thought was a goner this spring

One of my stray returning gladioli from my bouquet selling days. I want to move these but I'm afraid to kill them lol.

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Very strange scape on your daylily Dee. I haven't seen that before. They are all very pretty colors and shapes and makes me think I should add more to the July garden. My Clematis jackmani bloomed long ago. And I do like that Gladioli which I have never tried to grow.

Amazing with all this rain, your plants don't look worse for wear. We had very strong downpours about 1:30am last night with thunder and lightening. I bet I have another 2 inches of rain. I opened the back door this morning and it just smells wet and damp and maybe even a bit musty. Hoping the sun comes out this morning. I had new potted plants sitting around and I put them in the garage so they wouldn't get soaked again.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    3 months ago

Ooooo...Primal Scream is fantastic! Going to have to look for that one. It looks like it would blend and complement many things. I don't have any blue phlox, but will keep an eye out for Blue Paradise.

Sue, as usual, your containers are fantastic! Do you try to repeat arrangements each year? I had one year of fantastic containers. I should have written the plants down! Since then I've had "I'm out of time and desperate" containers.

PM, I haven't responded to your hummer post, but I was so excited as I read about your visiting friend! He must have a culinary bent to have chosen the borage. I hope you see many more! That NOID daylily is fantastic! What a great shade of yellow. I think I saw one Monarch flitting around, but he was not near the milkweed. Have you seen any on your milkweed?

Dee and Gregg, I have plenty of jewelweed mixed in my flowerbeds. I believe their seeds each sprout into ten seeds upon hitting the ground, and those 10x number of seeds each have a 110% germination rate. But, they are great. I feel horribly guilty this year because I ripped out much of it before blooming, and much more of it before the blooms could set seed. I figure if I leave two plants to set seeds the whole garden will have a managable amount of jewelweed. Fortunately, I find it VERY easy to rip out, so I don't mind. I hope I didn't starve the hummers this year, but last year was Jewelweed-palooza, and this year was heading in the same direction. I need to convince to grow in abandon in the woodland areas, just like you did, Dee. My favorite combo is jewelweed with Echinacea. The orange Ech center looks great with jewelweed.

Dee--no Queen Anne's Lace around me, which I find surprising. I do have some white Valerian that I am hoping spreads around.

Barheadlass, Frances Joiner is fantastic. I remember you saying she was your favorite. She really glows!

Everybody's pictures are so nice!

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Deanna, I have only seen a pair of Monarchs on my milkweed. I've also seen a Swallowtail and a few of the very small orange ones, not sure what their name is. But really seeing a pair of Monarchs is great for me. I often only see one. I've been checking to see if I see any eggs on the Milkweed, but so far none. I should see more butterflies once the sedum and asters start blooming.

I see a lot of bees and wasps on the milkweed though.

I was just thinking the other day I used to see more butterflies when I had a butterfly bush. I may think of adding one again.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Took a quick stroll in the garden and was admiring my Queen Anne's Lace, and then noticed there's quite a variation in the Dara QAL I mentioned above. These are all reseeded volunteers, so I don't know if it crossed with the white QAL, but there are some real subtle shadings out there.

This is more or less what Dara should look like (sorry for the blurriness)

These are some of the ones around the garden

And speaking of bees, I never cease to be amazed at how the bees love my agastache. I can't seem to get a good shot of them buzzing around, but here is a bee that I found blissfully asleep yesterday evening. I love to find bees drunk on pollen and snoozing nestled in a bloom! This one in particular intrigued me. Usually they are on top of a bloom, or inside it. This one was sleeping hanging off the bottom! (Pay no attention to my messy, weedy, cinderblock beds. Veggie gardens - they're more neglected than even my perennial beds!)

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Dee, Queen Anne's Lace is so pretty as a cut flower and I didn't realize they had a maroon color variety. I can see the subtle shades in your photos, they must have crossed with it. Do you let all of them reseed?

I have had good results with Agastache this year. I seem to have remembered to fertilize wtih fish emulsion more often and it's made a difference. Darker green plants that are bushier with more flowers. I've been pinching early to increase the bushiness of them. Right now there seems to be bees and wasps and even some butterflies all over the garden. The Agastache and Alyssum has almost a cloud of those tiny little bees. I've even seen a lot on the Hydrangea Little Lime which is just opening. Native Lilies have just opened, so pretty, but they're in a bed that is due to be renovated.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

PM2 I would be afraid to fertilize my agastache lol! It thrives to the point of aggression here. It's huge and full and robust and reseeds everywhere. Much of it has reseeded in the open squares of the cinderblocks in my cinderblock raised beds, so the added height makes it taller than I am. I really need to be more ruthless and pull these one in the walls in the spring, as they get so big they shade out the veggies that are IN the bed. But I love the agastache so much, in part because the bees love it so much. I do rip a lot out but probably should rip more, and more importantly should be more vigilant in cutting it back before it goes to seed.

So many chores, only one gardener lol.....

I had meant to post this pic earlier. I had ajuga in a bed in front of my house 25 years ago, which has long since died out. Somehow it got a hundred feet across the yard into my veggie garden, and over the years has almost completely taken over one path between two cinderblock beds. I was going to rip it out and then figured, why bother? The path is so much easier to maintain now! And looks gorgeous in spring. Admittedly I hate to walk on it in spring, but I get over that fast lol. I should have gotten a picture in bloom!

Dee

Edited to respond, yes, I do let all my QAL reseed. This is really a true favorite of mine, since the days of the back alleys of my childhood where it was rampant. So delicate against all that asphalt! So I let it reseed, and if it's in an inconvenient spot I pull it or more likely move it. I love to use it in bouquets so I never have enough!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Dee, what type of Agastache do you have? Mine is just ‘Honey Bee Blue’ that I started from seed given to me through a swap on GW when I was just starting here. Mine does reseed very well, but I have clay soil that might be on the heavy side and I know my soil is low on nitrogen all the time. Not that fish emulsion gives you a lot of that, but, it seems to have been just the right amount. Last year they were a lighter green and not as tall or bushy. I wish I could grow more kinds of Agastaches but they aren’t always hardy here and I don’t think my drainage is good enough, so most varieties that I’ve tried haven’t come back. Yours looks like a larger flower head than mine, and my plants are not huge. I’ll take a photo later.

You have a lot of plants that reseed and I can only imagine what a job it must be to get everything deadheaded. [g] EXACTLY - I have my DH helping me and between the two of us we don’t keep up with all the jobs there are to do. We never get to the bottom of our list.

OMGosh, lol, look at all that Ajuga! That is really a great looking pathway but in the fall I imagine you can’t rake the leaves off it too well. I love it. I think that is the same variety I planted along the street. Are you sure that same ajuga came up 100ft from the original bed?! You don’t think it was a root system that traveled that far right? Maybe reseeded? I have tried ajuga in my back yard in the shade, in part shade, near shrubs and under trees and I don’t even get a 2nd season from it. But this is the 2nd year of trying it in front in full sun along the street. It did come back in the spring. I've paired it with phlox subulata since that likes to spread too and I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Your path reminds me of the ends of my vegetable beds where I planted golden thyme and I’ve let it just do it’s own thing and you do have to walk all over it but it really doesn’t seem to mind at all and still looks good. Last week it was covered with bees while it was in bloom. I also have a large patch of green thyme that I noticed seems to get a lot of flies on it. Wondering why I should grow something that attracts flies so well.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

July is winding down, time to get July photos. Today was a beautiful day to be gardening. The plants really appreciated the sun. I managed a couple of photos due to the fact the Hardy Hibiscus decided to start blooming this week. I think this is Day 3 and it has a ton of buds on it. Even more than last year and it's taller and fuller. I really find this a great plant in a full sun garden. Very easy and provides a lot of flower power at this time of year. The Little Lime Hydrangea is in bloom in the background.
    Berry Awesome

Phlox 'Nora Leigh' has decided to bloom and I like it along side the Hardy Hibiscus. Nice they decided to bloom together.

Red Mandevilla is making me happy I bought it. It's the first time I've ever bought one. I love the gold eye and the blooms look like velvet. The foliage is looking nice and no bugs seem to be interested in the thick leaves. I decided to let it hang over the edge rather than giving it something to climb, although that might change if it starts to take off.

and here's that Honey Bee Blue Agastache that is doing well this year but it's not really a very big plant. I love the root beer fragrance of the leaves.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

PM2 I think my agastache might be Blue Fortune but I can't remember. I thought it might have been HBB but that was wrong. I sowed it from seed years and years ago. I'll have to get a picture of a big clump.

Yeah the ajuga definitely came from a garden in the front of the house. It pretty much died out over there - some of it escaped the bed and is happy by the pipe that empties my sump pump lol, (and that must have also been by reseeding because its about 20 feet away from the bed) and then there's the pathway.

Love your phlox Nora Leigh! My phlox is blooming now as well and smells wonderful. Your NL looks great with that hibiscus.

It was indeed a beautiful day today and I spent it in the garden (actually my customer's garden but that counts too!) And yes, time to get those pictures in!

At first it bugged me that the buddleia I planted a few years ago in this border kind of flopped but now I kind of like the way it peeks around the alberta spruce. And it's in bloom till frost so what's not to like?

Pink daylily (I forgot most of the stuff I planted in her yard as well as in my own!) Despite my almost weekly spraying, the deer ate almost EVERY SINGLE DAYLILY BUD in her yard! UGH!!! I think there was just too much rain and it kept washing off, despite what the label says. I found a few untouched buds and sprayed the bejeezus out of them so we could salvage a bloom here and there!

A (forgotten-named) white lily. I need to move this. Lilies in this very dry, root-filled bed struggle, but on the other hand, the red lily leaf beetles seem not to have found her yard.

The lilies in this bed fare better

Earlier in the season I had posted somewhere about a rose that I thought was a goner thanks to voles. I lifted it out of the ground with two fingers. I had the tiniest root left so I stuck it in a pot, and I'm happy to say it has survived and revitalized! Yay! This is either Ashley or Amelia

Lastly, a volunteer sunflower. Kind of nice, since not a single one of my sunflower seed germinated this year (really old seed!). But one of my frustrations is that my main garden is on the boundary of my neighbor's yard to the south, and lots of things in it turn towards the neighbor's and the sun! I took this photo from my neighbor's yard lol. They enjoy my garden too, sometimes more than I do lol.

Dee

• Marie Tulin
    3 months ago

Dee, regarding your maroon QAL, Dara, I bought 3 at a nursery. I think it is a beautiful plant. Of course, no idea where to put it. I might just put it in the orphan bed and enjoy it for cut flowers.

I thought it sort of silly to pay for QAL, but it is special. And it was special expensive for an annual.

How much do yours seed? a few, a dozen, more? Do the young seedlings survive winter? Survive rabbit predation? I have an area in the back that's gone wild. I wondered if Dara would do well or if it is too shady. Jewel weed and iron weed grow well. Well I put one in and see how it does.

Marie

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked Marie Tulin
  • defrost49
    3 months ago

Dee, I agree, love the way the buddleia surrounds the Alberta spruce.

Love Nora Leigh! I think that is one I have lost due to planting in a poor place.

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked defrost49
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Marie, I find that both my Dara and my "regular" QAL seed around but I don't find it to be overly aggressive. Looking out my window as I type, I'd say that perhaps a dozen plants might be a good estimation, spread over a fairly large area (maybe 40 by 80 feet? - sorry, so bad with estimation of ANYTHING lol!) I have some in part shade as well. I don't have - knock on wood - rabbit issues (I've seen rabbits around, and even had a litter of them in my veggie garden one year, but have no damage yet).

I started the Dara from seed in the season of 2019 for my daughter's wedding flowers, and it was unfortunately not a good garden year. I'd say that now, from those few plants (8 maybe?) that did really did not even thrive or grow very well, I have about a dozen to 15 little clumps of Dara. I do have more regular ammi but I've had it in my garden much longer. I also cut a lot of both for bouquets so that cuts down on reseeding.

Do try starting some from seed! Way cheaper and I find them to be fairly easy to start. I got my seed from Johnny's. In looking at that link I just gave, I am reminded that Dara does have "shades" of color, so that answers my own question as to whether the two were crossing. Guess it's just the Dara doing it's thing! And a lovely thing it is, in my opinion!

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Dee, my local nursery stocks ‘Blue Fortune’ I might try to add it. Yes would love to see a big clump.

I don’t think there is any fragrance from Nora Leigh, that is the only drawback. Are all phlox supposed to be?

I like the way the butterfly bush works around the Alberta Spruce too. Very nice and I bet it attracts butterflies and hummers.

I can’t believe your client lost all the daylily buds! That’s crazy. She must be so disappointed. I LOVE that lily.

Defrost I lost two of the Nora Leigh too. They just didn’t come back one year, after 4 years of doing so, so I’m trying them again.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

I tried for a few more photos before the rain early this morning, and they did come out rather dark but I thought they still worked. Some of them were not great, but I liked a few of them.... That Berry Awesome Hardy Hibiscus doesn't need a sunny day...it brightens up the garden....

Tiger Lilies

Finally getting some cucumbers slowed down by all the rain.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

PM2 you must be getting a lot more rain than I am. They've been forecasting showers for days but so far nothing. Don't think it's rained for at least a week. I contemplated watering last night, but they said it would shower all late night into morning. It didn't. Then I contemplated watering this morning, and they said there would be thunderstorms this afternoon. There weren't. I'm convinced it won't rain till I water the garden! Then it will downpour.

I really do love that hibiscus. I am contemplating them too lol. I had a hibiscus years ago but it kept getting skeletonized (is that a word lol?) so I gave up on them.

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Dee, I have gotten a lot of rain. I really didn't get much today or last night, but every time it's been forecast, we've had a downpour and had more rain than forecast. I was just looking at the weather man saying that Boston had only 9+ inches of rain in July. I'm sure we've had measured rain that was over 12 inches and with what we had in June, I think I'm up to 18" since June 1st. My lawn is so green and the trees around me look better than they have in the past 5 years. I'm quite happy about it. I was looking at the news about Belguim today though, and they have had so much rain they are having dangerous flooding. So, there is a line where an abundance becomes too much, which I hope we won't have to deal with here. AND - I'm hoping this doesn't mean we will not get snow next winter!

What was causing your Hibiscus to skeletonize? I had a caterpillar on it last year but I hand picked them all and I couldn't find one this year, but I did have a minor amount of holes in the leaves this year, that I'm still not sure what caused it. I can't really notice it and this particular plant so far has been a performer. I want to say it was either Monrovia or Proven Winners 'Plum Crazy', no, that's not right. I had a 'Plum Crazy' that had green foliage and larger blooms but I don't remember what happened to that one. This new one is 'Berry Awesome'. I had a white with a pink eye in the back garden and that didn't come back 2 springs ago, after having it for over 5 years.

It was photos of Woody's Hardy Hibiscus that got me buying them. [g]

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    3 months ago

Hibiscus sawfly is what skeletonizes hardy Hibiscus. I stopped growing them because of it although I have one now and watch it like a hawk. Haven't seen any sawfly in two years so I added a variegated one this season. It's small so I'm growing it up in a pot before planting it out in the garden. Same with lilies and red lily leaf beetle. Hate that some pests are so time consuming to deal with or the solutions are so toxic that you have to stop growing some of your favorite plants.

Love the color on that Plum Crazy, PM. I find that colors really pop on overcast days. I've been taking lots of pictures but they're all on my phone.

I'd always heard that Queen Ann's lace was invasive in a garden setting but that maroon one is pretty cool.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Sue, thanks for that information. Do they start as flies and become caterpillars? I'm wondering if that is what I had last year What do you do to prevnt them, anything? I don't spray anything so, if I can't control it without it, it has to go. I've only had this one 2 years. I had a white Kopper King I bought in 2007 and I just lost it last winter, it didn't come back. I didn't think the winter was that bad. The Plum Crazy I bought in 2009 and I can't even remember why I don't have it. What is interesting is that I never had any insect problem on either of those. They both were growing in the back where I have less sun and this one is in the front in full all day sun.

My mistake that I referred to the one in the photo as Plum Crazy - it is Berry Awesome.

Look forward to seeing your photos Sue.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    3 months ago

PM2, I love the combo photo of the Berry Awesome Hibiscus, Limelight? hydrangea, and Russian sage. And Dee, the lilies are beautiful. I have to plant my lilies in buried baskets to prevent the voles from eating them, but I have found that if I plant the oriental-trumpet crosses, they seem not to attract the lily beetles. I also have a vague memory that a predator or disease for them was released a few years ago, and I have not seen one in my garden for a few years now. Even the wild Canada lilies are recovering.

I have been noticing Russian sage planted in hell strips and traffic islands this season. From a distance it looks a lot like a spray of water in sunlight. And there is one house I will try to get a photo of that I pass driving into town. It has a lovely combo of plants in the front garden in pink and white: echinacea, hardy hibiscus, panicled hydrangeas, and perhaps a few others.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

Babs, That is Little Lime Hydrangea and yes Perovskia 'Blue Spires'. I'm liking that combo too. You can't see it in that photo but there is also Gaura in that bed to the left of the Perovskia and the green above the Perovskia is the Aster that really is covered with butterflies when it opens.

I have had so many redos on my front bed. At least every 2 years I decide to try some new idea and plants. I love a wild look and I've gone too far in that direction at times for the front garden and I don't have the room for some of those type of plants to keep spreading and reseeding and it makes a lot of work. I had a lot of echinacea, monarda that had too much mildew, lilies that the rabbits are eating now that the red lily leaf beetle is gone [g] and I really enjoyed that combo too but I went with the Hydrangeas and Hibiscus one year, trying to go more low maintenance. I am itching to add echinacea back in but you can't have everything. It's a small bed and I decided to go wtih 4 roses with the other shrubs and that doesn't leave a lot of room for other things.

Would love to see the photo of your neighbor's garden.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

Yes, PM2, as Sue said it was the hibiscus sawfly that did in my hibiscus. I was a new gardener and probably didn't put the hibiscus in an ideal spot, but that sawfly was just too much to keep up with. i don' t have time to devote to pest control like that. That's why the red lily leaf beetles still wreak havoc - I just don't have time to go out there and hand pick. Yes, Babs, there was some kind of parasitic wasp released somewhere in the northeast a few years back. I hear it is having an effect but it's not yet in my neck of the woods I guess!

I've been looking to add a perovskia to my garden. A friend of mine had a beautiful shrub in her garden that she let me use for bouquets. Specifically I was thinking of putting one in along the street as part of a privacy border, but it seems most of the ones I find aren't tall enough! I'm used to the taller ones I've seen in older gardens but when I browse online they all seem to be "compact", at about 4 feet tall. The search continues...

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    3 months ago

PM2, sorry, it took a few days but I finally got some photos of my agastache! The only thing is you and everyone else must promise to ignore the weedy paths and all the other overgrown stuff (not to mention my pathetic little tomato plants!) If you must look at the veggies, check out the squash plant behind this clump of agastache. This (and I think all of the clumps pictured) are growing in the holes of the cinderblock walls.

You can see its all over this garden! I've let it go for one reason because these beds now get a lot more shade than when I built them, especially at the far end. The beds need to be revamped and I need to rethink whether I even need them or not. I could use them to grow some more shade tolerant perennials, but don't think that would work as this is really more about function. So I may just make them smaller. IDK... There is an oak tree that is really starting to shade this garden that the electric company has been saying for fifteen years that they want to take down because it's growing into the wires. I keep telling them PLEASE do, and they haven't. If they do I'll have my veggie garden back!

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Dee, that is one enthusiastic set of Agastache! Anyone know how to say it? I have only seen it in writing.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 months ago

LOL OMGosh, Look at the size of those Agastache! What are you feeding them, neighborhood children? lol Great job Dee. Are hummingbirds using them?

Babs, here's a pronouncing link...

pronounce agastache

I always say 'chee' at the end, oh well.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

'Beverly' rose wins the rose competition in the garden today. [g] Clean foliage lots of blooms, bumble bees on the flowers. I was sure this rose was dead in April. the photo doesn't do it justice, in person it's very attractive.

Lots of bees around and this was a huge one. I am so glad to see that Little Lime Hydrangea is pollinator friendly. I also saw a butterfly and a wasp on it.

Little Lime blossoms are already tinged pink on the bottom flowers and on the west side of the shrub some of the blooms are not all the way open.

All this rain, everything is very vigorous. Dill and Cosmos filling in between everything.

My attempt to take a photo of a butterfly. Possibly I need a different lens.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Glorious, PM2!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    2 months ago

Fantastic garden, PM! I never thought of dill as part of the design, but that dill looks PERFECTLY placed. I love the flowers rising up above all the beautiful perennials!

NHBabs z4b-5a NH thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I originally planted Dill for butterflies. Parsley too as I found a Monarch caterpillar in a patch years ago. I loved the look of it so much and it reseeds so readily that I started growing it out front with the perennials. And it's useful in the kitchen and the fragrance is nice if you pull off a branch. It's so tall, it really doesn't work well in my vegetable garden.

This seems to be the peak for my front bed. Can you believe we've been gardening for 4 months already? This is the best time of the season for that bed, and sometimes I have a little more display for the fall, but not sure how that will work this year as I took out a lot of Mums. I might buy some pots and just add them.

Oh, and I discovered the other night that my Phlox 'Nora Leigh' is fragrant, just not noticeable until late afternoon/early evening. That was a nice surprise.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 months ago

PM2 I LOVE your dill! I keep trying to get it established in my garden so it self-sows but it doesn't seem to want to take. I love the airy look of it and the chartreuse color of the heads. I used to use it in bouquets all the time - a friend of mine had a very natural garden and she had dill throughout and let me cut it. So lovely.

Had to laugh - yes, the neighborhood children avoid my yard at all costs haha! I haven't seen hummingbirds around the agastache but tons of bees and some butterflies.

Dee