SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gra8fulgal

Orienting granite slabs with veins for island and perimeter counters

gra8fulgal
2 years ago

We have received the first draft of a layout for our kitchen/dining bar/laundry countertops from the fabricator. The slabs we purchased are Hawaii granite and have a singular vein running in each that is the predominant feature. We purchased three slabs and so have the ability to choose how the vein is oriented in any particular part of the project.

The island will have a vein running east-west given it's size. Would be curious to receive perspectives on whether a vein should also be oriented north-south on the main sink run. Or if it would be better to use less prominent pieces there and save the 2nd and 3rd veins for the dining bar buffet and laundry counter runs. The coppery color that is most visible near the vein is a feature we especially like and that complements the natural finish cherry cabinets and copper sink. However, I worry that having such a strong vein running in opposite directions right next to each other will not be pleasing to the eye.

This will only make sense if I can post pictures, so I will do my best to post pictures of the slabs, the floor plan and the fabricator's proposal, as well.

Comments (16)