SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_600106137

What would you do to update dining room table. Stain or paint?

HU-600106137
2 years ago

What do you suggest should be done with these two pieces of furniture in the dining room? And light fixture...and rug. I'm ready to let go of the red/gold phase of my life. I've thought about this for 3 years. The art work is to hide the thermostat. Lol Colors? I'm wide open. I reupholstered the chairs. Proud of myself...they were a checker print. The floor has a reddish brown tone. The room is 107" x 111' x 85"...ceiling 8'. Thanks for your time.

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You really cant re-stain that very well. It's a factory finish and was never meant to be redone. If you want to try and strip the top, lightly sand (be careful, it's a thin veneer) and try a diff stain color, you can. But I'll warn you that it's not going to turn out like you think. The legs and chairs would be nightmare to stain.

I'd paint the chairs, , paint the legs. if you want to try to stain the top, you can try it. all of that clear coat needs to stripped though. You can't just go over it w/a darker stain. it won't absorb. all clear coat and previous stain must be removed.

the red tones you ahve actually work w/the wood color and your floors. what don't you like?

try new wall color, drapes (lose the mini blinds) and a new light fixture (36" above the table, no higher) The one you have is hung too high

I'd also find a larger piece of art instead of the mirror. (again, lower everything. 46"-50" from floor to the MIDDLE is proper height)

HU-600106137 thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Beth....thanks for the quick response. The red tones do work with the wood floor beautifully. An updated look is what I'm looking for. I feel like it has become "frumpy"? Perhaps change the chandelier....what do you think?

• Related Discussions

Dining Room Table Centerpiece - What do you think?

Q

Comments (13)
    I love your wainscoting and wall color. Is the wainscoting "real" or is it painted drywall? Also, do you mind sharing your wall color? I would love to see pictures of the other walls in the room. Your DR appears to be a similar size to mine and I never can decide what to put on the other walls.
    ...See More

What Dining Room Table would look best? I am not a decorator!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would go with the lighter. It's more timeless and would blend nicely with your existing oak.
    ...See More

What type of chairs would update this traditional vintage dining room?

Q

Comments (21)
    I like your direction of bringing in blue and white. I seen this photo on Pinterest and designer states the blue/white china was inspiration for colour scheme and thought I would share. This photo another option of keeping chairs wood and blue upholstery. If you want to colour to hutch, you could go two ways Adding blue/white china or you can add blue behind your white dishes. It’s easy to do by adding fabric/paint or wallpaper to thin plywood and adhere with command strips. In seeing your added photos I think your two chairs would look good facing each other e we it’s the table between them with a chess or checker board on it.
    ...See More

Kitchen in need of update! What would you do?

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd carry the light beige from your floors to the walls and go charcoal grey on the lower cabinets. That will keep the warmth, lean into your more modern white and black taste, and actually brighten up the space. You're most recent mock up seems to have lost two cabinets and gained open shelving. I'd recommend decreasing the open shelving to just two shelves on each side. That window is lovely - give it some room to breath :) I love Emily L's suggestion of glass doors. I'd suggest putting glass doors on the small cabinets you're putting above the current cabinets, I'd recommend garage style doors that lift upward on those cabinets, and I'd recommend putting lights inside of the cabinets. Between the two lights over the sink, the lights in the cabinets, and the hood light, you'll have really beautiful and functional ambient light for early mornings and late evenings. As for the cabinet doors, I think with everything else so updated, they'll seem cool and fun. They strike me as a choice that was always a little risky, even when brand new. In that way, they're almost impervious to aging because they were never quite trendy. If you like them, you should keep them.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I added more to my comment above. take another read and see what you think

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The bottom of the light fixture is 36" . Do you mean mid point should be 36"? I do see what you mean about the mirror. Mini blinds are dated. Appreciate all your tips. Many many thanks.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

The rug doesn't fit; it is too large for the space and too small for the table and chairs. I suggest no rug and put all 6 chairs at the table.

As Beth said, chandelier is hung too high. Try 32" off table top.

While you are lowering it, how about painting it? B.M. Kendall Charcoal.

The red fabric on the chairs is very dated and the pattern isn't centered on the seat.

New fabric will give the dining suite a new lift. Love this with the wood, walls, and newly painted chandelier.

Magnolia Henry/Gravel

The sideboard makes the room so tight. Could it go in the hallway with mirror or the gray art?

I would not add anything to either wall, but I would add drapery panels in the same color as the walls. Like this tone on tone (but not tied).

HU-600106137 thanked elcieg
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you mentioned frumpy. I think the type of furniture you have is a little dated, but not really frumpy. the tones are very yellow, mixed w/the red. It's rather bland and dull. (sorry, i'm not trying to be cruel) It's hard to really get an update when your base items are not. does that make sense?

this is bland and dull. The before. right?

Now look at what some paint and bright decor does. this table/chair combo was painted. much different. new rug, the art, bright walls/drapes

I'd lose the blinds, get drapes, lose the buffet and lamp, and probably paint the chairs and the table legs, get a new chandelier, and instead of the mirror, a large canvas art piece. don't worry about the thermostat. it's not that bad where it is.

you can take a look at these before and after pics

https://www.thespruce.com/before-after-dining-room-makeovers-5073649

since you've been battling this for awhile, maybe it's time just to get something diff? you could easily sell what you have.

I tried to get pics of similar rooms w/your dimensions just to show you some alternatives

Simple room like yours. the wall color and the drapes are amazing together. this is more of a formal dining table, but you could use something else. a glam light. I don't care for the urns. a leaning mirror reflects back the beautiful decor. if mirrors don't reflect anything beautiful, don't use them in that spot!

a trick w/drapes. cover the entire wall w/them and mount the rod just below the ceiling.

this is a modern, but simple design

taller ceiling, but notice the elements.

wainscot and darker wall color can look great.

simple redo. like, drapes, older table, newer covered chairs that have been painted.

are you sure? If it is, then it's still too high. lower it about 6 inches. (and you can spray paint it if you want a diff look)

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth and judianna20....you guys are great! Hubby is removing the rug as I type judianna20. = ) Going to post the buffet on local site. Beth...thanks for the pics. I'm a visual person and your post w/pics are extremely helpful for me. Blinds will go bye-bye. B.M Kendall Charcoal it is and will lower the light fixture. I'll look for curtains and material for the chairs. Process in the making. I'll post updates as I go along. Again...many many thank yous. As I mentioned....years in the making for me with no results. You two....minutes and the room is transformed. How? How do you do it? Thanks for the magic.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

can you paint the table? maybe get new chairs?

or, just bite the bullet, post everything online, and get new. YOLO, right?

Then we can talk about paint colors and accessories.

Kendall is just a tad darker than this Chelsea. I used it in my living room

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm going to pull the trigger and get new table/chairs. Appreciate the push....much needed. I do like those paint colors. My problem...way too many options out there. My brain needs to choose between door number 1 or door number 2. Lol

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

well, when you can narrow it down to the table and chairs you're using, then we can move on to the next step.

Decide if you want to keep and paint, or sell and buy something new or used.

IMO, keeping the table and chairs as is, and merely painting the wall and getting drapes, isn't going to do a whole lot.

If you really love the table and chairs, paint them, stain the top darker, or less yellow.

however, the chair fabric is just difficult to work with. I know you spent time doing them, but I'm just being honest. That's why I mentioned selling the entire set

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

1st step in the transformation process....buffet and mirror are gone. Light fixture lowered to 33.25". The photo is deceiving....because in person...if you were to stand up from the table in an angle, you would bump the fixture A friend will be picking up the rug. Again..thanks for your thoughts. Comments are greatly appreciated and welcomed.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

wow. you work fast.

take another pic w/the table in the other direction. turn it and the rug longways. center table under light. lets see how that looks compared to this

also, no chairs in the corners.

do you have a tall plant?

what is opposite of this dining room? if you painted, could it work w/the adjoining spaces?

what's up w/the ceiling patches?

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ah....the ceiling. We had some work done...and now need to repaint.

Paint color is currently Pavlova

Here's a snap with the table turned.

The table w/out the leaf is a better fit for the room.

Entry to the kitchen is on the left.

I'm standing in the living room to take the snap.

Photos are deceiving.

There is 24" from the end of the rug to the wall on both sides.

Only 4.5" from the back wall.

The rug is 92" in length.

Small rooms...but...less to clean. = )

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I like the table in that configuration.

I think you could put in the leaf and have the larger table (like your original photo?)

did you say you like the rug or what to go w/something else?

did you want to paint the chairs and the legs or go w/something else?

once you decide on that, you can then figure out drapes or blinds, wall color, maybe a slender sideboard, some art, maybe some buffet lamps, perhaps a plant in the corner, etc.

So here is another post w/a dining room issue. her room is a bit larger than yours, but if you read through everything, you might be able to glean some info to help you.

She wanted to paint the room blue, but there were other issues.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6131572/why-so-many-blues

this was the before

and the after-work in progress. She still wants to paint the chairs, or maybe get new ones.

here are some other small dining rooms just to give you ideas

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is a side by side photo w/ 4 & 6 chairs. Thoughts?

We're going to leave the rug where it is until our friend picks it up in a few weeks. YAY!!!

Our inspiration photo is one of the first examples you sent @Beth H. :

I did an online search for table/chairs.....my oh my....too many options. Again, I like to choose between door # 1 or door #2. Lol

Which brings me to DIY time.

Going to to give the table a dark stain. Legs & chairs a grayish vibe and new material for the seats. Youtube will be my friend as I conquer this project.

We would need a rug that just about fills up the room if the chairs are to stay on said rug.

Thinking natural fiber like the one shown in our inspiration pic...

...or.....would you go sans rug?

Thanks for your stellar advice!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Those chair seats look like they pop out. If so, you just need to remove the fabric, get a strong stapler and apply new material. Not to confuse you but @Beth H, would chalk paint be an option? I took Chippendale replica chairs and had them repainted white (totally done with the dark mahogany dining room look) and bought a smaller round table (also chalk painted white) with a leaf for 6 people. I’m thinking you could make the furniture ivory and try keeping it.
    But if you’re buying new, consider a round table which would make the room look larger until you have to add the leaves.

HU-600106137 thanked RedRyder
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

Here is my small dining room with the round table and redone chairs.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RedRyder Amazing how paint can revive furniture. Who knew? Definitely not me.

The seats do pop out. Yes, I was lazy and merely stapled new fabric on top of the original

See picture of progress. I'll save your eyes from the ick factor of stains. Full on lazy of me. Insert red face. = )

I'm looking into stains/paints...learned about chalk paint..wax...lots of products to review.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yes! chalk paint is certainly doable. but to get a smooth finish, apply two coats, sand after 2nd coat w/220, wipe clean, and buff w/clear wax.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, @Beth H. : I will dark stain the top of the table and chalk paint the legs and chairs

Appreciate the tip on applying chalk & to buff w/clear wax.

I'm still looking at material for the seats. I've gone out to local material stores. Something will grab me.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I understand the laziness factor. I’ve covered chairs with another fabric on top pretty often. But then you realize that if you bother to get some upholstery batting, the comfort factor is exponential. Just cut the batting to somewhat fit the seat, with a little overhang. Then put your new fabric over it.
    Finding the right fabric is definitely the interesting part. There are many good online fabric companies so make sure to search. Etsy is always great for more unique looking stuff.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rug is gone...sooner than expected. It is strange to see the original blue/white seat cushions. I've had the red floral for quite some time.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've been looking at Youtube videos on how to update tables. I took a picture of the underside of the leaf to compare it to the table top. I rather like it. You?

Could there still be a thin veneer I need to be concerned about...or do you think it was merely stained and then sealed?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

do you think it's solid all the way through? hard to tell from your photos.

use an orbital sander w/an 80-100 grit and take it down to natural wood. along the edges only use sandpaper by hand. if it's veneer, the edges are most vulnerable. when u get all the orange clear coat off, switch to a 150, and then a 220. wipe w/mineral spirits. take another pic when that's done

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It appears to be solid through and through. We'll know for sure once I take sandpaper to it. I'll follow your grit guide. Time to hit the local store to buy sandpaper.......

• Susan Davis
    2 years ago

Such an interesting and informative post! I am enjoying it!

HU-600106137 thanked Susan Davis
  • HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Susan Davis. I just discovered houzz. Inspiration in a click.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've been living with the black stools in the dining room for a few days. I do like the look of it. So...black chairs it will be. Hopefully in the chalk paint world, black is black and there are no variations.

Tomorrow I take the plunge into sanding the table top. Someone mentioned orange/yellow tones...something I did not notice and now I see those colors. It's as if they're shouting at me. Lol

Curious to see what's underneath the table top stain.

It's a process.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

which chalk paint are you getting? I've used 5 of the big brands but usually made my own. I'd recommend CeCe Caldwell, Annie Sloan, or American.

you could also try General Finishes Chalk Paint in black pepper. I painted a dresser w/that brand and it's very nice.

they also carry an acrylic 'milk paint'. gives more of a satin finish

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As always, thanks Beth H. : Impressive you made your own chalk paint.

I'll look into the chalk paints that you listed.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We finally purchased chalk paint. Annie Sloan Athenian and Dixie Belle Caviar. We painted a 2x4 and decided on the Annie Sloan. After reviewing many Youtube channels and reading discussion boards, we decided to prime with Zinser Shellac base. Sooooo....we sanded...primed and applied two coats of chalk paint. Another coat is needed. Still could see white primer in some areas. Ugh. We will be sealing it with Dixie Belle Clear Coat Satin. Probably add some of the chalk paint to it. Here is what we have so far.....

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Looking good!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

looks good.

make sure to fine sand the last coat w/a 220 grit sandpaper block. you'll get a much smoother finish when you wax. (wipe off the dust residue w/a damp rag , or even a blower, after sanding)

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey Beth....thanks for responding. I still see some primer coming through the 2 coats of Annie Sloan. Fingers crossed the 3rd coat will work. I'll take a snap and post when done sanding with the 220.

• HU-600106137
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello everyone. This has been a process. Thrilled with how the chairs turned out. The picture does not do it justice. New webbing, foam and Dacron wrapped seats. We will wait for next year to tackle refinishing the table. We want to use the table during the fall/winter months vs the kitchen counter. Put up a new light fixture (34" from the table) Now....I'm thinking of curtains on the entire back wall as suggested by Beth H. : ...but what color? What do you think about a colored sheer? I do like the light coming through the blinds....which we did ditch the metal blinds.. ran to Home Depot and got faux wood for now. I'll post some updated photos. As always, your comments are truly appreciated.