vinmarks

Issues with whole home dehumidification

vinmarks
2 years ago

Total sq ft-2770

Main level-1640 sq ft

Finished walkout basement-1131 sq ft

Open stair case between basement and main level-no door

Have 2 Trane heat pumps and 2 Trane air handlers controlled by separate Nest thermostats.

We have never had crazy high levels of humidity in the house. Usually range from 47% to 54% in the summer. Dry in the winter. Only a few times over the 3 1/2 years we have lived here have I seen it go up to 58% which was in the spring where neither the AC or heat was running and it was very muggy outside. It only remained at that for part of the day but then went down.

We recently had a whole home dehumidifier installed (Honeywell DR65A3000). It was installed on the air handler for our walk out basement. It was first installed without a dedicated return. Dehumidifier was set for 45%. We waited for several days and it never brought the humidity down to 45%. One day it went to 47% but that day the outside humidity and dew point were lower. AC is set at 68/69 during the day and 67 at night. Humidity levels in the basement remained anywhere from 49-54%. Hvac guy came back yesterday and they installed a direct return and felt confident this would solve the problem. It didn't do anything. At midnight AC set at 67 the humidity was 50%. At 6am-52%. At 10:00 this morning the AC was set at 69 and the humidity level was 50% and currently remains there.

It seems like the dehumidifier is doing nothing. That even if we turned it off we would see these same humidity readings. I know it's actually running because I can hear it. It just runs and runs.

Any ideas? Is the dehumidifier too small or is it not even working?

Here's the set up currently:

Direct return comes into the dehumidifier. Then there's ducting that comes out and goes into the bottom of the air handler adjacent to where the regular return is.

Comments (8)